Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Swaledale  (Read 3876 times)

Blinkers

• Joined Jan 2008
  • Carmarthenshire
  • Carmarthenshire/Pembrokeshire border
    • Glyn Elwyn - Faithmead Herd
    • Facebook
Swaledale
« on: April 06, 2011, 10:12:11 pm »
I keep Coloured Ryelands, White Ryelands and Greyface Dartmoor sheep.......but I rather like the look of those Swaledale now that I've seen 'em up close ('ish.....on Lambing Live!).    Does anyone on here keep 'em?
Did you ever stop to think, and forget to start again !!
www.glynelwyn.co.uk

andywalt

• Joined Aug 2010
  • kent
  • observe react administer enjoy !!
    • photos
Re: Swaledale
« Reply #1 on: April 06, 2011, 10:14:49 pm »
I like them too, very attractive little things
Suffolk x romneys and Texel X with Romney Tup, Shetlands and Southdown Tup

ScotsGirl

• Joined Dec 2009
  • Wiltshire
« Reply #2 on: April 06, 2011, 10:16:34 pm »
I have mules which I think come from the Swaledale crossed Blue Face Leicester and I love them. Make great mums and have great character.

Blinkers

• Joined Jan 2008
  • Carmarthenshire
  • Carmarthenshire/Pembrokeshire border
    • Glyn Elwyn - Faithmead Herd
    • Facebook
« Reply #3 on: April 06, 2011, 10:21:35 pm »
I have mules which I think come from the Swaledale crossed Blue Face Leicester and I love them. Make great mums and have great character.

I also love the Blue Face Leicester - and beautiful fleece for spinning too.    Would love a fleece come shearing time if anyone has one kickin' around  :-*
Did you ever stop to think, and forget to start again !!
www.glynelwyn.co.uk

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
  • Rarely short of an opinion but I mean well
    • Trelay Cohousing Community
« Reply #4 on: April 07, 2011, 02:26:01 am »
I farmed Swaleys on my previous farm.  In the right place they can't be beaten; the right place being the uplands on poor ground / moss / fells.

I'm not sure how they fare on good ground.  Possibly their lambs would grow too big for the somewhat narrow exit channel.  I do know that you have to take care buying draft hill ewes to run on better ground - you can get  magnesium staggers as their systems simply aren't used to the lush lowland grasses.  So if you want hill sheep on good ground get them as lambs so that their systems adapt.

I think hill sheep also do not like to be too confined or forced to be too close to other sheep (ie, they like a low stocking density.)  Their genes tell them they want wide open spaces!

In my opinion the offspring of a Swaledale ewe put to a Blue-faced Leicester tup, known as a North Country Mule, is an unparallelled ewe.  A North Country Mule can also be the offspring of a Blackface ewe put to a Blue-faced Leicester tup, the Blackie in question could be a Scottish type (short legs, rather dumpy) or a Hexhamshire type (a bigger, rangier animal.)  In my experience, the Blackie mules tend to be less tame - but probably do put a bit more frame on the lambs, and certainly a better fleece.
Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

bamford6

« Reply #5 on: April 07, 2011, 09:49:09 am »
get some embryos for you're own sheep .iv just done 200 rare breeds the cost i paid £40 for 4 in 1 tube done all 200 the ram they come from is a ram sold for Manny thousands and limited embryos .we will keep 100 and sell our old stock off only the best will be kept .so we will see which mothers are the best .we will then have a pedigree herd .iff you look at lambing live its the way to go as feed prices shot up you need the best you can afford my ewes are worth £80 to £100 sold some 3 weeks ago so the cost £20000 iff they were registered £35000 so worth the hard work its the same for chickins iff it costs a £10 to keep 5 for a month why not keep 5 off the best you can get better breeding better young .the black rocks cost £10 to 12 each will lay for 5 yeres so why get a cross that lasts for 2 yeres no point

ScotsGirl

• Joined Dec 2009
  • Wiltshire
« Reply #6 on: April 07, 2011, 01:14:50 pm »
I have a couple of fleeces from last year if anyone wants them you are welcome.  I sheared them myself and kept the better efforts.  Will have some later this month if anyone wants those too.  Got mix of mules, Suffolk x and Southdown x (although these will be rubbish as a pig to shear)

woollyval

• Joined Feb 2008
  • Near Bodmin, Cornwall
    • Val Grainger
    • Facebook
« Reply #7 on: April 07, 2011, 06:28:21 pm »
Swaledale fleeces are for carpets not clothes....very scratchy! We use a lot in insulation
www.valgrainger.co.uk

Overall winner of the Devon Environmental Business Awards 2009

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
  • Rarely short of an opinion but I mean well
    • Trelay Cohousing Community
« Reply #8 on: April 08, 2011, 01:24:50 am »
Swaledale fleeces are for carpets not clothes....very scratchy! We use a lot in insulation

Oh please share what you have to do to use your own fleece as insulation?  We were told there had to be two treatments, one for making it bug-resistant and one to make it fire retardent.  (I thought wool was hard enough to burn without extra treatments.)  At the time, we couldn't discover anywhere in the UK that could do these treatments on a small scale, and they were not interested in buying our clip either.
Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS