Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Help please ewes just started head-butting each other  (Read 8175 times)

shearling

• Joined Mar 2011
Help please ewes just started head-butting each other
« on: April 06, 2011, 05:40:32 pm »
Please could anyone explain why a ewe (or more) suddenly starts to headbut another one, that have lived together nicely for the last year and it has only just started. Is is jealously due to being in-lamb? the weather? they just do? pecking order? Any thoughts gratefully recieved.

« Last Edit: April 07, 2011, 06:17:10 pm by shearling »

Tam

• Joined Mar 2011
  • Wiltshire
Re: Bullies or are they hot and moody or jealous?
« Reply #1 on: April 07, 2011, 09:25:32 am »
I can't answer - as I would also like to know.  Out of 12 ewes, we have one that we arenot sure is in lamb or not and it is this one that is bullying another just like you said above.  She had a grudge against the first ewe that lambed - they were separated by a gate in a barn, but eventually after lots of headbutting they beat the gate to pieces.  The ewe that lambed has now gone out to grass and the "bully" is picking on a ewe that has been quite sick (but is now getting much better).

shearling

• Joined Mar 2011
Please could anyone explain why a ewe (or more) suddenly starts to headbut another one, that have lived together nicely for the last year and it has only just started. Is is jealously due to being in-lamb? the weather? they just do? pecking order? Any thoughts gratefully recieved

Fleecewife

• Joined May 2010
  • South Lanarkshire
    • ScotHebs
Re: Help please ewes just started head-butting each other
« Reply #3 on: April 07, 2011, 07:23:37 pm »
Hormones and pecking order  ;D
"Let's not talk about what we can do, but do what we can"

There is NO planet B - what are YOU doing to save our home?

Do something today that your future self will thank you for - plant a tree

Love your soil - it's the lifeblood of your land.

HamishMcMurray

• Joined Nov 2010
« Reply #4 on: April 07, 2011, 08:14:37 pm »
Ours do it but fairly gently with each other - not in anger.

We have twin boys born Tuesday afternoon and they are doing it to each other in play so I guess it's a natural part of what they do.

Yours sound a bit more ferocious though.

bazzais

• Joined Jan 2010
    • Allt Y Coed Farm and Campsite
« Reply #5 on: April 07, 2011, 11:23:37 pm »
Hierarchy and hormones?

We have had a few that act 'out of character' around birthing time, I thought it was normal - but have never had anything beat anything else to death like has been mentioned on the forum.

Gals will be gals is what I thought - no good trying to work them out....   ;)

If they are in-lamb, as you suggest, its undoubtedly got everything to do with that.

Baz

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS