Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: USE OF CYDECTIN ON NEWLY CALVED COW  (Read 2617 times)

TRUFFLE

• Joined May 2009
USE OF CYDECTIN ON NEWLY CALVED COW
« on: April 06, 2011, 04:34:59 pm »
I have a highland heifer who was due to calve yesterday!!  She is being very bothered by lots of nasty small black biting flies, and I feel very sorry for her as she has lost quite a lot of hair from itching.  I have bought some cydectin to treat her, and think I've understood from the packaging that I can't treat her whilst she's pregnant, but I can't work out from the leaflet if I can treat her as soon as she's calved.  Can anyone throw any light on my stupidity and give me some guidance please??  ???

jacquip

• Joined Apr 2011
Re: USE OF CYDECTIN ON NEWLY CALVED COW
« Reply #1 on: April 08, 2011, 08:12:24 pm »
I have a highland heifer who was due to calve yesterday!!  She is being very bothered by lots of nasty small black biting flies, and I feel very sorry for her as she has lost quite a lot of hair from itching.  I have bought some cydectin to treat her, and think I've understood from the packaging that I can't treat her whilst she's pregnant, but I can't work out from the leaflet if I can treat her as soon as she's calved.  Can anyone throw any light on my stupidity and give me some guidance please??  ???

Citronella type fly repellent (usually for horses) if it is the black biting flies, unless there is some other cause for the hair loss.  I always believed that fly treatments i.e Butox Swish and others prevented the misery of biting flies but they are not as useful as they make out - they kill biting flies but not before they have bitten the cow (and go away to die, eventually) so they are not repellents, they just reduce the overall number of flies in the area.

As for the Cydectin (I don't use Cydectin so I'm sorry I don't have the full instructions for use) it is probably talking about withdrawal periods for milk consumption not the state of the pregnancy per se.  
Withdrawal period
Meat and offal: 14 days.
Not permitted for use in cattle producing milk for human consumption or industrial purposes, or in dry cows and pregnant heifers within 60 days before calving.

So if you intend to drink the milk you should make sure you use the product at least 60 days before she is due to calve and not use it while she is lactating.

As always - the best person to advise you is your vet
« Last Edit: April 08, 2011, 09:56:36 pm by jacquip »

TRUFFLE

• Joined May 2009
Re: USE OF CYDECTIN ON NEWLY CALVED COW
« Reply #2 on: April 15, 2011, 09:24:38 pm »
Thanks so much for your reply - hadn't thought of citronella! Calf now born (so exciting!!! ;D) so feel a bit happier about what we use, but will definitely take your advice re: the black biting flies, thanks  :wave:

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS