Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Goat Housing  (Read 2792 times)

thod92

• Joined Apr 2011
  • Stanton upon Hine Heath, Shropshire
Goat Housing
« on: April 06, 2011, 11:47:35 am »
I have kept sheep for many years but are thinking of getting goatsiknow that they need to be inside in the bad weather unlike sheep but what is the best type of housing. and what setups do people have
« Last Edit: April 06, 2011, 11:52:27 am by thod92 »
Daniel Thomas, thod92@hotmail.co.uk

Roxy

• Joined May 2009
  • Peak District
    • festivalcarriages.co.uk
Re: Goat Housing
« Reply #1 on: April 06, 2011, 02:57:08 pm »
My first thought is to say - something as strong as possible!!  Goats can be destructive, they climb, gnaw, butt, and will put anything in their house to the test.

I prefer if possible to keep most of my goats free range - field shelter type of thing, so they have shelter from bad weather.  Others have a similar sort of thing but like a large pig ark with a door, and I have just added to these as I find them so good - mobile so you can move them to another part of the field if you need to.

My husband is not at all keen on the goats for the simple reason I am forever asking him to repair something .....either in the house, or the fence.  We have had to line the pygmy billy goats shelter with tin sheets, but he is always trying to remove them from the wall.i

I have kept goats for many years, and tried many different sheds, and shelters.  We do tend to make our own, then we can use the strongest material possible.

goosepimple

• Joined May 2010
  • nr Lauder, Scottish Borders
« Reply #2 on: April 11, 2011, 08:22:24 pm »
We have an adapted shed - not too big (3 pygmy X goats in a shed size approx 8ft sq) which they just use in bad weather as they are in the quarry most of the time - they did start to eat it when we first got them but then we gave them lots of tree branches and trunks to eat and that stopped, thankfully.
registered soay, castlemilk moorit  and north ronaldsay sheep, pygmy goats, steinbacher geese, muscovy ducks, various hens, lots of visiting mallards, a naughty border collie, a puss and a couple of guinea pigs

wytsend

• Joined Oct 2010
  • Okehampton
« Reply #3 on: April 12, 2011, 11:38:37 am »
It really does depend on what type of goats you intend having.

For standard sized animal and if having more than 2...which you will when they kid... I would always consider 10 x 10 loose boxes, pony type.  Or, occasionally people do sell stabl;es that are in a range, say 2 or 3 complete with a tackroom.  This could double up as a feed room.
These secondhand stables are often considerably cheaper than building anything.  Never build too small.. you will regret it.  Apart from anything else, stables can be used for so many things.

Roxy

• Joined May 2009
  • Peak District
    • festivalcarriages.co.uk
« Reply #4 on: April 12, 2011, 02:34:05 pm »
Unfortunately we are on the edge of the Peak National Park, and they do not like any buildings (but seem to like a new Tesco, or hideous trading estate for factories :))  We have to tread carefully, and thats why mine look like pig arks and are moveable......they can, and do come and ask to see it moved.  Although nowadays you can get mobile stables, but they are not cheap.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS