Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: One Recipe I WON'T be trying!!  (Read 5670 times)

Womble

• Joined Mar 2009
  • Stirlingshire, Central Scotland
One Recipe I WON'T be trying!!
« on: April 05, 2011, 07:48:06 am »
Have you heard of "Balut" before?  I found this link whilst searching for info on candling eggs.

Essentially it seems to involve hard boiling a 2/3 developed duck egg for eating  :o. Do read the link, as the method of incubation described is really interesting.

Anyhow, it got me thinking  - isn't it strange that in this country we'll happily eat both eggs and adult ducks, but consider eating the stages in between totally gross?

The results of my candling showed 5 out of 6 of our eggs would be just about ready for Baluting now. On second thoughts though, I think I'd rather leave them to hopefully hatch!  :)
« Last Edit: April 05, 2011, 08:01:06 am by Womble »
"All fungi are edible. Some fungi are only edible once." -Terry Pratchett

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • ABERDON GUNDOGS for work and show
    • Facebook
Re: One Recipe I WON'T be trying!!
« Reply #1 on: April 05, 2011, 08:33:58 am »
Don't fancy that at all and can't even bring myself to look at the link. yuk
Always have been, always will be, a WYSIWYG - black is black, white is white - no grey in my life! But I'm mellowing in my old age

Sylvia

• Joined Aug 2009
« Reply #2 on: April 05, 2011, 12:26:33 pm »
A bit like sucking pigs, a dreadful waste. My father used to have a phrase for people who ate this sot of thing "Feeding fat pigs up the a##e"

northfifeduckling

• Joined Jan 2009
  • Fife
    • North Fife Blog
« Reply #3 on: April 05, 2011, 01:26:45 pm »
I felt a bit sick watching the same on a program about Indonesia. They eat them feathers and all. not for me. I hardly ever eat an adult duck these days  ;) :&>

Sandy

« Reply #4 on: April 06, 2011, 10:52:43 pm »
Its all in the mind, funny how people in UK etc eat pet lambs, goats, cows, pigs but not dogs or cats!!!!!!! ::)

Fleecewife

• Joined May 2010
  • South Lanarkshire
    • ScotHebs
« Reply #5 on: April 07, 2011, 01:15:00 am »
Probably because cats and dogs are dedicated carnivores.  Pigs and chickens are omnivorous, but when we raise them for food we tend to feed them a vegetarian diet.  In less wealthy countries cats and dogs are eaten...... :cat: :dog: 
Our main farm animals are vegetarian.  It's possible that our dislike of eating other carnivores has good reason behind it, as the more meat eaters there are in the chain, the more concentrated certain toxins in the liver may be - I think this is the case with polar bears - don't eat them - but on the other hand, don't let them eat you  ;D  On one of the explorations trying to find a way through the North-West Passage, the entire team died because they ate nothing but Polar bears.

As for eating half developed chicken embryos - no thanks, I don't fancy all those bones and feathers.  Also, having been raised on a turkey farm, the eggs with dead embryos in were rotten  :turkey:
"Let's not talk about what we can do, but do what we can"

There is NO planet B - what are YOU doing to save our home?

Do something today that your future self will thank you for - plant a tree

Love your soil - it's the lifeblood of your land.

Olly398

• Joined Mar 2010
  • Herts
    • Brixton's Bounty
« Reply #6 on: April 11, 2011, 02:53:11 pm »
I ate this snack several times during a year I spent in the Philippines as young engineer. It was very tasty actually and no big deal (no feathers or bones!!). It is part of a rich and varied cuisine from a culture very different to our own. In the same way it's difficult for many of us to comprehend eating this, it is difficult to explain to a rural Filipino the amount of food we waste in the west, and the perverse way much of it is processing and marketing to make food "acceptable" to society. Of course, I don't mean most of the people on here  :farmer:!!! To me, it's no different to eating an egg, or a duck. And as it happens it tastes like a cross between the two.  :wave:
also blogging at...

Brixton's Bounty

welshlass181

• Joined Jan 2011
« Reply #7 on: May 06, 2011, 02:30:36 pm »
see jst the thought of this makes me heave :(

suziequeue

• Joined Feb 2010
  • Llanidloes; Powys
« Reply #8 on: May 07, 2011, 07:30:55 am »
Very good point Olly398
We do the best we can with the information we have

When we know better we do better

Rosemary

• Joined Oct 2007
  • Barry, Angus, Scotland
    • The Accidental Smallholder
« Reply #9 on: May 07, 2011, 09:07:46 am »
I don't fancy eating dog or cat. Or horse for that matter, because I don't consider them as food. BUT I don't have a problem with other folk eating them so long as they are treated humanely. I've seen some disgusting images of dogs from Korea, I think. The cruelty is just indescribable and is inexcusable.

Not that I'm suggesting that we don't have inhumane practices in this country either  >:(

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS