Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Wormer  (Read 12175 times)

Hilarysmum

• Joined Oct 2007
Re: Wormer
« Reply #15 on: April 06, 2011, 02:37:23 pm »
We inject - not me personally - for Digby we use a pour on as since the blood test he screams and cries at the sight of a needle.
« Last Edit: April 09, 2011, 09:05:00 am by Hilarysmum »

Sylvia

• Joined Aug 2009
« Reply #16 on: April 06, 2011, 05:27:54 pm »
Would you use a pour-on i.e. a systemic wormer for pigs you are going to eat

gavo

• Joined Aug 2008
  • Belcoo, Enniskillen, N.Ireland
  • Crazy Pig Lover
« Reply #17 on: April 06, 2011, 07:07:11 pm »
Our wormer is an oral one and yes we would use it on pigs we will eat BUT there would be a gap of several months from dosing to eating

little blue

• Joined Jun 2009
  • Derbyshire
« Reply #18 on: April 06, 2011, 08:59:42 pm »
just for the record...

1) My pigs have been treated with Ivomectin via injection.  I did not say I won't only that I hate doing it.
2) not one of them show any signs of external parasites.
3) the ages of them make it appropriate for a preventative treatment.
4) as I have posted previously, one is on the thin side.  The vet advised a wormer for all, then further investigation if needed.
5) using Ivo & panacur surely will reduce the resistance of worms (though I confess, I havent looked up the active ingredients)
6) Just for you Karen... I'd sooner inject my boar twice than wrestle with Maud - she has a looong memory whereas he is soft as grease!!

(And Karen, absolutely no offence taken here - I agree with you.  And you Oaklands)
 :)
Little Blue

Helencus

• Joined Feb 2010
  • NW Leicestershire
« Reply #19 on: April 06, 2011, 09:24:32 pm »
I use panacur pellets and these seem to be effective but SFS is correct as with all wormers you should change now and again to stop immunities building up. I also put diatom earth in with the straw bedding and shake a bit of louse powder over the pigs now and again If I  think they're scratching a lot never had any sign of external parasites but just in case.
I invested in a masterject when Kim had mastitis and although I wasn't keen at first I agree with JulieS it's worth it's weight now. I am totally comfortable if I need to inject any of them and it's over and done with before they realise, even the vet was impressed.

HappyHippy

« Reply #20 on: April 06, 2011, 09:35:50 pm »
No offence taken LB  :-* Everyone does things differently and that's why TAS works, we can give advice - it's not a who's right or who's wrong arguement. It's good to have a broad range of info.

Just as a quick aside, how is Murphy ? Did your vet suggest a worm count before worming for the second time ? I'm not questioning or doubting or wanting to start an arguement - just interested to know your thoughts and how the boy's doing of course ;) Our boar's a big sap too, but until I can jump a bit higher or trim those tusks I trust the job to Bruce (saw some scary photo's of an 'accidental' gore on a sow's leg and have been wary ever since) he has knee length work boots - I don't  :-\

little blue

• Joined Jun 2009
  • Derbyshire
« Reply #21 on: April 07, 2011, 08:01:22 pm »
Murphy is looking better - he seems to be filling out from the base up ... so his spine is still quite prominent but his belly looks bigger!
His mouth still shows no signs of being sore, but he is much slower with his food than the girls so is getting very special treatment.
the vet said they could worm count but on the whole, we may as well do them all (with the littl'uns being destined for the freezer, we have to get the timing right! it was their first worming)

thankyou for asking :)

I am hoping to post up a video, Murph is right on the edge of it ... but having just had a computor virus probably caught off photobucket or facebook, it may take awhile...
Little Blue

« Reply #22 on: April 07, 2011, 09:34:40 pm »
Little Blue - Just out of interest, do you intend moving them after worming?

Thanks
www.suppliesforsmallholders.co.uk - Safe Secure shopping for all your livestock equipment and supplies.
Also www.suppliesforfarmers.co.uk for more larger farm related items

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS