Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Sad news  (Read 3643 times)

nails

• Joined Mar 2011
  • Somerset
Sad news
« on: April 03, 2011, 09:39:02 pm »
Well you all know we had a litter born on Thursday, Last night we lost 3, still not sure how or why they died, but been on a pig course today and Tony York seems to think that it may be a placenta cross over although we wormed the sow nearly 2 weeks before she farrowed, so we are keeping our fingers crossed that we dont lose any more, as we could end up losing the whole litter from it.

Roxy

• Joined May 2009
  • Peak District
    • festivalcarriages.co.uk
Re: Sad news
« Reply #1 on: April 03, 2011, 10:28:35 pm »
Oh, that is sad.  Do hope the other piglets aren't affected.

Hilarysmum

• Joined Oct 2007
« Reply #2 on: April 04, 2011, 08:39:01 am »
I am so sorry for you, hope the rest are all ok. 

JulieS

• Joined Mar 2009
  • Devon - EX39 5RF
    • Ford Mill Farm
« Reply #3 on: April 04, 2011, 09:32:23 am »
So sorry to hear your news.  I do hope the rest are all OK. 
Pedigree GOS Pigs and Butchery for Smallholders.

Beewyched

• Joined Feb 2011
  • South Wales
    • tunkeyherd.co.uk
« Reply #4 on: April 04, 2011, 10:08:29 am »
I really feel for you  :love: :pig: :love:

If, & if, it was worms how soon can you retreat mum & will it pass through the milk enough to protect the rest of the babies?
Tunkey Herd - registered Kune Kune & rare breed poultry - www.tunkeyherdkunekune.com

HappyHippy

« Reply #5 on: April 04, 2011, 10:17:23 am »
I'm sorry to hear about your loss :'(
I'd be tempted to get a bottle of noromectin http://www.vetmedsdirect.co.uk/products/Noromectin-Mulit-Injection-Cattle%7B47%7DSheep%7B47%7DPigs-50ml.html and treat the piglets now, it only costs around £16 and if it gives them a better chance it's got to be worth it.
HTH
Karen x

robert waddell

« Reply #6 on: April 04, 2011, 11:45:21 am »
i had compiled a posting on here it appears to have vanished from memory  :wave:
are you sure it is not overlay (squashed) the first 4 days are crucial  also straw can get caught in there trotters and they are trapped
where were the piglets beside mum or in there creep area?
the noromectin that happy hippy flagged up is interesting   in that it can treat warbles ?this was supposed to have been eliminated in the early eighty's (2 years treatment with organophosphate)compulsory eradication before BSE  reared its head (was there a link)
we have never used this product but will be inquiring further into it

nails

• Joined Mar 2011
  • Somerset
« Reply #7 on: April 04, 2011, 04:02:34 pm »
Hi Lillian
We dont think she has laid on them, one was to far away, one was under the bar where mum can't get and the other was laid as half under the bars. The others look ok so we are keeping our fingers crossed, we have been told that there is nothing we can do, as the worm gets into the lung, or something, i am looking into this and will let everyone know the outcome

patchy1990

• Joined Dec 2010
« Reply #8 on: April 04, 2011, 07:06:33 pm »
Sorry to hear your bad news :(

Hope the others remain healthy and happy  :pig:

Tudful Tamworths

• Joined Aug 2009
    • Liz's website
« Reply #9 on: April 05, 2011, 02:12:26 am »
Hypothermia or infection? Would agree with the earlier post - give antibiotic jab as a precaution.
www.lizshankland.com www.biggingerpigs.com
Author of the Haynes Pig Manual, Haynes Smallholding Manual, and the Haynes Sheep Manual. Three times winner of the Tamworth Champion of Champions. Teaching smallholding courses at Kate Humble's farm: www.humblebynature.com

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS