Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: boars  (Read 2783 times)

peteinwilts

• Joined Feb 2011
boars
« on: April 04, 2011, 05:48:57 pm »
Hi Guys

apologies if this has been answered many many times before!

I am about to start breeding my saddlebacks and am wondering what do people do with thier baby boars.
I presume one is kept for hiring and for breeding where genetics are possible.

Are they sent for meat, and if so, at what age? is there an age where they need to be seperated?

Cheers
Pete

robert waddell

Re: boars
« Reply #1 on: April 04, 2011, 06:02:41 pm »
are they pedigree?  if not there is no point in keeping them entire  :wave:
we castrate what is not up to standard  also stops the unscrupulous from buying a pig for meat then breeding with it
if males and females are together they have to be separated at 3 months or there is the chance of unwanted pregnancies :P :P
what we do is our preference and it is entirely up to you what course of action or management you employ :wave: :wave:

Eve

• Joined Jul 2010
« Reply #2 on: April 04, 2011, 06:11:27 pm »
You send the intact boars to slaughter by the time they're six months old to avoid boar taint (a urine smell to the meat, which isn't a myth but doesn't tend to happen before that age and before mating as it's hormone related). Lots of posts about it on this forum with the full explanation. So no need to castrate if you separate them. We just send all boars off at 6 months, they're big boys and ready by that time. 

:wave:

Helencus

• Joined Feb 2010
  • NW Leicestershire
« Reply #3 on: April 04, 2011, 06:29:28 pm »
I didnt castrate mine I have 9 boys that were separated this week at 12 weeks and will all go off at 6 months.

JulieS

• Joined Mar 2009
  • Devon - EX39 5RF
    • Ford Mill Farm
« Reply #4 on: April 05, 2011, 06:22:04 am »
I don't castrate and separate the boys by 4 months.  I send them off  by 7 months........3 going off today.

Pedigree GOS Pigs and Butchery for Smallholders.

Hilarysmum

• Joined Oct 2007
« Reply #5 on: April 05, 2011, 09:02:34 am »
I only castrate when the customer insists and then only if I can get my friend to come and do it.  I can't!!!  Also I have been told that since Jan. 2011 an eu directive states that all neutering must be done under anaesthetic, dont know if its true, but the expense makes it a good reason not to.

Mine go off normally about 8 months, although have sent them earlier and later.  So far never had boar taint.  I know its not a myth and we have been lucky so far.  I do separate the males from females by 12 weeks. 

We do have a 22 month old neutered LB who we have to keep well away from the boar when he is in mating mood as he will mount the poor LB much to his indignation.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS