Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: I'm new here  (Read 4630 times)

Ollie

• Joined Mar 2011
I'm new here
« on: March 26, 2011, 09:58:34 am »
Hello

I'm new - currently living in the beautiful Forest of Dean, husband and I had a hobby smallholding before he died, I'm currently keeping a few backyard hens in a garden, and growing as much fruit and veg as possible while working in a farm shop part time.

Thing is, I have the opportunity to buy a house with part holiday let potential, plus 2 acres of land bordered by a stream/footpaths nearby.  The land is sloping, but OK for goats/a few sheep (which would keep the grass down!) and/or fruit trees.  About a third of it is established woodland, so I could be self sufficient in wood for fuel.  There is a small greenhouse on site, and space for a polytunnel, established veg plots and room for more, and room for a few more hens/ducks/geese.  Mains water connected, but private water supply too.

What I should like to do is,
1. farm gate sales of surplus eggs, fruit, veg. (my own, and if possible, expanding to take other surplus from gardens locally - a sort of community project) I'm not thinking of selling meat.
2.  jams, chutneys etc.  possibly honey.
3.  maybe a some home-baked bread, cakes etc.
3. speciality herbs and some plants.

In the future, to use the holiday let, so people using that might also use the farm shop.

Initially, just farm gate sales though, and possibly farmers markets.

My questions are...
1. should I register the property as a smallholding (is 2 acres sufficient to be a smallholding?)
2.  do I need planning permission for farm gate sales?
3.  Do I need planning permission to put up a small/medium sized polytunnel?

The village/settlement has no shop.  There is a popular visitor centre next door, and a bus goes past the end of the drive - there is room for cars to stop/turn on the property, but not a car-park!

I can buy the place outright, but a bit of income would be much appreciated!
If anyone has experience of this sort of enterprise, what do you think?

Ollie

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
  • Rarely short of an opinion but I mean well
    • Trelay Cohousing Community
Re: I'm new here
« Reply #1 on: March 26, 2011, 11:10:15 am »
Hi and welcome from the north of Cumbria.

I can't answer any of your questions but no doubt someone will be along soon who can.

This opportunity sounds very exciting, I wish you all the very best of luck with it.

Cheers
Sally
Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • ABERDON GUNDOGS for work and show
    • Facebook
« Reply #2 on: March 26, 2011, 11:48:00 am »
You have a good start if you can buy it outright!  We don't need to register as smallholdings in Scotland but I don't know the regulations in England, possibly you will need a CPH  -County Parish Holding number, maybe also a herd number, and movement licences.

I sell eggs at my gate and don't need planning permission, but I only have 10 hens and 4 female ducks, and really only sell to friends and neighbours.  But I think cakes, jams and chutneys might need a food health/safety certificate.

I'm sure someone in England with more knowledge than me will be along shortly.  Whatever you decide it sounds a fantastic opportunity if it is something you'd like to do.  I had a project when my husband died a few years back - I built a house!  Good luck!
Always have been, always will be, a WYSIWYG - black is black, white is white - no grey in my life! But I'm mellowing in my old age

plumseverywhere

• Joined Apr 2013
  • Worcestershire
    • Its Baaath Time
    • Facebook
« Reply #3 on: March 26, 2011, 12:15:27 pm »
If you are planning to keep goats or sheep you WILL need a CPH which technically registers you as a smallholding.

If its lawnmowers you are after, goats won't do too much of that as they prefer to browse upwards!
So long as you have under a specific number of hens you don't have to notify anyone of your selling of eggs at the gate (i believe its under 50?) but you cannot advertise them as free range with out lots of hoops to jump through I believe.

you probably already know about the legal/trading standards info re:selling jams etc but you have to be inspected etc.

good luck, it sounds very exciting!
Smallholding in Worcestershire, making goats milk soap for www.itsbaaathtime.com and mum to 4 girls,  goats, sheep, chickens, dog, cat and garden snails...

Fleecewife

• Joined May 2010
  • South Lanarkshire
    • ScotHebs
« Reply #4 on: March 26, 2011, 12:27:55 pm »
Hello and welcome Ollie  :wave:  Plums beat me to posting but I'll send this anyway  ;D
First thing - get the purchase done as quickly as you can - the place sounds absolutely ideal so don't let someone else snap it up  :o You can worry about the details afterwards and if you have to modify your plans later, that is easier to do than to find another suitable property.

For keeping animals, you will need to get yourself a CPH (can't remember if it's via Trading Standards or Animal Health in England but someone on here will know). You will also get a flock number for your sheep at the same time. Poultry only need to be registered if you keep more than 50, then health regs and regs for egg size, packaging and description come into force.

Trading standards may be interested in your proposals, depending on scale - the regulations can be a nuisance, but if you think of it from the consumers viewpoint, needing to know that the produce they buy is safely produced, then it is understandable.

The Roads Dept should be contacted about your sales at the gate just in case there are any road safety issues.  The chap who came to us was very helpful.

Here in Scotland, for erecting a polytunnel you do now need planning approval, although you don't have to submit an application or pay anything if you have an agricultural holding.  This could be different in England and it's always best to approach the planners and ask what they will need, rather than falling foul of them for getting it wrong.

Keep us up to date with your progress.
"Let's not talk about what we can do, but do what we can"

There is NO planet B - what are YOU doing to save our home?

Do something today that your future self will thank you for - plant a tree

Love your soil - it's the lifeblood of your land.

Hilarysmum

• Joined Oct 2007
« Reply #5 on: March 26, 2011, 03:26:54 pm »
Hi and welcome.  I would go for it.  Bearing in mind that its a depression at present your sales can only improve as money becomes more available.  Sounds like you are in a good area for sales. 

little blue

• Joined Jun 2009
  • Derbyshire
« Reply #6 on: March 26, 2011, 06:03:04 pm »
hello and welcome  :wave:
Little Blue

Ollie

• Joined Mar 2011
« Reply #7 on: March 27, 2011, 08:30:24 am »
Hello, and thanks for the welcome and information.  I've got a way to go before I move, so I have plenty of time to do research, but it does seem to be a bit of a minefield of rules and regs.

Here, it seems, as long as you register with your local authority (free), anyone can make and sell jams and chutneys.  Things get more tricky when you are using dairy or meat products.  Happily, the house effectively has two kitchens, so I could use one for me and one for making things to sell, which would make life easier.

Anyway, I'll keep you posted on any progress.

Doganjo - my hat is off to you!  I can imagine a house *I'd* built...a lot like one of those wonky ones you get at a fair!  I admire your skill!

Ollie

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • ABERDON GUNDOGS for work and show
    • Facebook
« Reply #8 on: March 27, 2011, 09:42:42 am »
This is Tigh na Iain (John's home) which I built in 2005 and named for my late husband, John.  I project managed the build, and my team were local tradesmen who I already knew well.  So it wasn't really that difficult - they all knew what I wanted, and they were al well established with good reputations.  The builder was my hairdresser's husband, his brother in law was my joiner and roofer, his mate was the plumber, his brother in law was the electrician, his son put in the heating, and my pal's husband landscaped the garden and put up all the fencing.
Always have been, always will be, a WYSIWYG - black is black, white is white - no grey in my life! But I'm mellowing in my old age

Ollie

• Joined Mar 2011
« Reply #9 on: March 29, 2011, 09:53:41 am »
Doganjo

what a lovely house you have! 
It's great to have good friends, people who you know and trust, and who can be turned to for all kinds of help.  That is what I call "home", and why I'm staying put in my home here, even though I could get loads more for my money if I moved 60 miles north-west!

Two acres will do for me, I think.  I've put in a tentative offer to test the water.  Lets see where that leads, eh?  fingers crossed.

Now, off to ebay to look at trailers, and off to do some research on sheep!  At the moment, I'm thinking maybe I should go down the road of buying 3 or 4 tiddler lambs in Feb, using them as lawnmowers through the summer and stocking the freezer in September.  Any thoughts, anyone?

chrispy4949

• Joined Feb 2011
« Reply #10 on: April 08, 2011, 12:54:13 pm »
Hi and welcome from the Shumen area in Bulgaria.  chrispy4949   :wave:

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS