Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Am I just over anxious?  (Read 2329 times)

MrsJ

• Joined Jan 2009
Am I just over anxious?
« on: March 31, 2011, 05:38:04 pm »
Found our second set of twins this morning, both ewe lambs (hurrah, no castrating!).  Both were vigorous and suckling.  Put them in the bonding pen about 7am.  Others have been over to check on them during the day, but when I checked this afternoon, they had very clean bottoms.  VERY CLEAN!  One seemed to have a little tiny black bit stuck there and the other had absolutely nothing although her bottom looked normal.  It's not that I like the sticky yellow stuff, but I expected it.  Both were seen to suckle and seem sturdy enough.  Do I just have a very particular mum or should I be worried?  
« Last Edit: March 31, 2011, 07:11:35 pm by MrsJ »

ellisr

• Joined Sep 2009
  • Wales
Re: Am I just over anxious?
« Reply #1 on: March 31, 2011, 08:36:28 pm »
check mum is giving milk and they have full tummies and if so just stand back and enjoy

MrsJ

• Joined Jan 2009
« Reply #2 on: March 31, 2011, 09:04:54 pm »
I checked mum first thing this morning and she was fine.  Both lambs seemed to be suckling and had full tums.  I expect when I go over in the morning there will be poo everywhere!

andywalt

• Joined Aug 2010
  • kent
  • observe react administer enjoy !!
    • photos
« Reply #3 on: March 31, 2011, 09:06:08 pm »
sometimes its 24 hours before they pass the thick black slug !! and then you get the bright yellow sticky poo, they will be fine you see
Suffolk x romneys and Texel X with Romney Tup, Shetlands and Southdown Tup

MrsJ

• Joined Jan 2009
« Reply #4 on: April 03, 2011, 10:02:59 pm »
Well, after 36 hours, she still looked as clean as a whistle so we called the vet, who gave her a clean bill of health and told us to stop worrying - she was just a very clean little girl.  I guess we live and learn! 

andywalt

• Joined Aug 2010
  • kent
  • observe react administer enjoy !!
    • photos
« Reply #5 on: April 03, 2011, 10:51:26 pm »
Its a learning curve, weve all been there
Suffolk x romneys and Texel X with Romney Tup, Shetlands and Southdown Tup

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS