Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Very warm weather next week in the south east 20 degrees !! fly strike?  (Read 2108 times)

andywalt

• Joined Aug 2010
  • kent
  • observe react administer enjoy !!
    • photos
Hi

Next week we are going to have some more warm weather up to 20 degrees in the southeast, at what point would you give a spray of crovect ? its early to give it but its much warmer earlier this year, or do those greeny flies not hatch until later? any advise please?? 
Suffolk x romneys and Texel X with Romney Tup, Shetlands and Southdown Tup

Fleecewife

• Joined May 2010
  • South Lanarkshire
    • ScotHebs
We spray the lambs as soon as we suspect or observe that flies are around, here usually in May, so April down there in the tropics wouldn't be too early.  If it's a muggy, humid heat then almost certainly they will be around - keep your eyes peeled  :o  Also keep the bums well dagged on ewes and lambs alike.  We don't usually spray the adults until they have been shorn, because I use the fleeces for spinning and Crovect etc are all to be avoided for prolonged contact.  If we do have to spray before shearing then any contaminated fleece would not be used for spinning.  Our Hebs don't tend to be daggy but some of the Soays do - seems to be an inherited factor, so we watch those ones carefully.
Also remember sheep can get struck over the shoulders and right underneath between the back legs.
"Let's not talk about what we can do, but do what we can"

There is NO planet B - what are YOU doing to save our home?

Do something today that your future self will thank you for - plant a tree

Love your soil - it's the lifeblood of your land.

andywalt

• Joined Aug 2010
  • kent
  • observe react administer enjoy !!
    • photos
thanks fleecewife, what do others do down south? my local shepard says "shear early" and "click" them after when the fleece has grown a little !! he dags all his sheep before lambing, they all looked great with their short back and sides bums, but I didnt and just give them a little trim up when I can after they lamb.
Suffolk x romneys and Texel X with Romney Tup, Shetlands and Southdown Tup

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS