Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Triplets  (Read 6008 times)

fifixx

• Joined Mar 2010
  • Shillingstone, Dorset
    • Bere Marsh Farm
Triplets
« on: April 03, 2011, 10:43:05 am »
Triplets!!  My first goat to kid has just had 3 - they all look healthy and strong, I just want to know how to make sure it stays that way and if I should be looking for any problems.

Blinkers

• Joined Jan 2008
  • Carmarthenshire
  • Carmarthenshire/Pembrokeshire border
    • Glyn Elwyn - Faithmead Herd
    • Facebook
Re: Triplets
« Reply #1 on: April 03, 2011, 11:07:18 am »
Yeay - fantastic - congratulations.   Just make sure they've all suckled and getting their fair share of colostrum each.  Vital.

:wave:
Did you ever stop to think, and forget to start again !!
www.glynelwyn.co.uk

jaykay

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Cumbria/N Yorks border
« Reply #2 on: April 03, 2011, 11:45:16 am »
Excellent  ;D
That's the thing with triplets, is to make sure they're all getting fed since obviously one has to wait its turn. You might need to 'top up' the last one to feed, but if it's getting fed at all, leave it with mum and its siblings.

fifixx

• Joined Mar 2010
  • Shillingstone, Dorset
    • Bere Marsh Farm
« Reply #3 on: April 03, 2011, 12:26:22 pm »
All have suckled - the last one born is a bit more sleepy - but has definitely fed so probably just exhausted!

Anke

• Joined Dec 2009
  • St Boswells, Scottish Borders
« Reply #4 on: April 03, 2011, 03:32:28 pm »
Make sure you go back every couple of hours (daytime) and put the little ones onto mum, maybe the last one /sleepy one first next time?

Also with lambs if you wake them up with a stick or similar they should first get up with a comfortable stretch, a sign that they are not starving. Should be the same with kids I assume? Also check if tummy is nice and full.

fifixx

• Joined Mar 2010
  • Shillingstone, Dorset
    • Bere Marsh Farm
« Reply #5 on: April 03, 2011, 03:36:12 pm »
I've just checked them and the stronger 2 are wobbling around the  pen getting acquainted with their long legs!  No 3 is snoozing, although opened eyes to see what was going on when I arrived.  i'll go back in half an hour and get it up if it's still asleep.

Also, does the mum need anything extra seeing as she is feeding 3?  i have already given her a nice warm bowl of oats and molasses which she gobbled up and now she has plenty of hay

Anke

• Joined Dec 2009
« Reply #6 on: April 03, 2011, 03:47:30 pm »
Go very slowly on the concentrate for the next couple of weeks or so, otherwise she is more likely to get milk fever. Oats and sugar beet shreds (if thats what she is having at other times too) would be fine, a little concentrate on top and increase very slowly. But watch that she doesn't loose her appetite. Good hay and lots of water.

little blue

• Joined Jun 2009
  • Derbyshire
« Reply #7 on: April 03, 2011, 05:09:14 pm »
Congratulations!

Our twins seem to both favour the same "quarter" (to give it its proper, if stupid name! Here its her "left or right boob!!") so we are milking off the other to keep her comfortable...
Little Blue

Roxy

• Joined May 2009
  • Peak District
    • festivalcarriages.co.uk
« Reply #8 on: April 03, 2011, 10:10:21 pm »
Kids are always a bit sleepy for the first couple of days, until they find their feet properly!!  In cases off triplets, the mum could really do with an udder like a cow, so they can all feed at once!!

We have only ever had one set of triplets in all our years of goat keeping ......three white male kids.

fifixx

• Joined Mar 2010
  • Shillingstone, Dorset
    • Bere Marsh Farm
« Reply #9 on: April 04, 2011, 08:29:22 am »
Our next goat had.....triplets!  We had to call the vet as she was pushing and pushing but nothing was happening - when the vet came, it was a breech - I certainly couldn't have sorted out 12 legs inside her!  All is well this morning, I'll post some pics a bit later.  One goat to go - wonder what she'll have?!!

Anke

• Joined Dec 2009
« Reply #10 on: April 04, 2011, 12:36:46 pm »
Oh boy, are you going to have your hands full.... Are you bottle feeding any of them?

If you leave them on the dam I would check their weight gain regularly, just to make sure one doesn't stay behind. I have found that this years kids (bottle fed from day 4) are really putting on weight very well in comparison to last year's that were left on the dam for about 10 weeks (I just was too busy to milk her out). Will be interesting to see if there are final size differences too.

Have fun watching those kids!

Mays

• Joined Jul 2010
« Reply #11 on: April 04, 2011, 02:43:51 pm »
wow you are on a roll! fingers x for the safe arrival of your next batch, and were are the photos :love:  ;)

fifixx

• Joined Mar 2010
  • Shillingstone, Dorset
    • Bere Marsh Farm
« Reply #12 on: April 04, 2011, 04:56:56 pm »
couldn't work out how to reduce the size of my pics - so this is the Facebook album link!

http://www.facebook.com/album.php?aid=344305&id=518309877&l=6497daebbe

little blue

• Joined Jun 2009
  • Derbyshire
« Reply #13 on: April 04, 2011, 08:36:22 pm »
they are absolutely gorgeous!
Little Blue

ballingall

• Joined Sep 2008
  • Avonbridge, Falkirk
« Reply #14 on: April 04, 2011, 11:25:22 pm »
Oh boy, are you going to have your hands full.... Are you bottle feeding any of them?

If you leave them on the dam I would check their weight gain regularly, just to make sure one doesn't stay behind. I have found that this years kids (bottle fed from day 4) are really putting on weight very well in comparison to last year's that were left on the dam for about 10 weeks (I just was too busy to milk her out). Will be interesting to see if there are final size differences too.

Have fun watching those kids!

Bottle rearing the kids does make a difference- both to the kids weight and to the state of a show goat's udder!

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS