Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Quads  (Read 4214 times)

Marshlady

• Joined Jun 2009
  • Norfolk
Quads
« on: April 02, 2011, 04:42:38 pm »
We were only expecting one of our five Jacob's to lamb this year as the ram was only in with them for a short time (long story involving him escaping and heading to a nearby field full of his last year's daughters which led to him returning to the farm very quickly in disgrace - but then boys will be boys). The one ewe looked not as big as the one that lambed twins last year. To our surprise she produced triplets at lunchtime and then half an hour or so later a fourth. We have brought them in to a stable and are planning to leave the lambs with her and top up all four by bottle once they have had time to get the colostrum on board. Has anyone else any experience of quads? If so any advice?  :sheep:+ :sheep: :sheep: :sheep: :sheep:

robate55

• Joined Aug 2010
  • Suffolk
Re: Quads
« Reply #1 on: April 02, 2011, 08:11:59 pm »
Wow that's impressive. Can we see some pictures?
Rose

Marshlady

• Joined Jun 2009
  • Norfolk
« Reply #2 on: April 02, 2011, 09:12:14 pm »
How does one post pictures?

andywalt

• Joined Aug 2010
  • kent
  • observe react administer enjoy !!
    • photos
« Reply #3 on: April 02, 2011, 09:35:55 pm »
one of our ewes had quads this year, but unfortunatley they were born at night, early in the morning when i checked them I found one alive and the other 3 still born, still in there bags :( :'( :'(   
Suffolk x romneys and Texel X with Romney Tup, Shetlands and Southdown Tup

shep53

• Joined Jan 2011
  • Dumfries & Galloway
« Reply #4 on: April 02, 2011, 09:41:08 pm »
Differant situation quads 6 pm tonight gave all of them 100ml of colostrum each to make sure will stay with mother and get extra if needed until 2 can be fostered onto singles,make sure plenty of pen space

Brucklay

• Joined Apr 2010
  • Perthshire
    • Brucklay Pygmy Goats
    • Facebook
« Reply #5 on: April 02, 2011, 09:58:22 pm »
So 'Hotlips's triplets - last night 10ish howling gale up here (Jacobs - weren't that impressive) but so cute - I'm going to bottle feed the really small one (friend arriving tomorrow) and the 2 good one's are off out tomorrow - with any luck
Pygmy Goats, Shetland Sheep, Zip & Indie the Border Collies, BeeBee the cat and a wreak of a building to renovate!!

Marshlady

• Joined Jun 2009
  • Norfolk
« Reply #6 on: April 04, 2011, 06:27:32 pm »

MrsJ

• Joined Jan 2009
« Reply #7 on: April 04, 2011, 10:14:13 pm »
We had a set of quads last year but despite someone being there when they were arrived, one was a stillborn that couldnt be revived and the other lived for less than 24 hours, even though we tried everything in the book.

We also had a ewe with only one udder that had twins - we successfully suplemented the two and they were both fine.

Marshlady

• Joined Jun 2009
  • Norfolk
« Reply #8 on: April 06, 2011, 09:48:21 am »
https://picasaweb.google.com/djnb61/LambsSpring2011?authkey=Gv1sRgCNnR6Zvrvp30hQE#5592377980042437330
I rather hope this works as an image. All growing well and look healthy.
« Last Edit: April 06, 2011, 09:54:21 am by Marshlady »

lamb_whisperer

• Joined Apr 2011
« Reply #9 on: April 06, 2011, 11:10:33 am »
5 of our sheep had quads this year.  Only two of them had all four survive.  The others still had three survive.  i fostered what I could onto good ewes with singles.  The others I am supplementing.  All are in the barn enclosure the the Volac EWE2 Bucket Feeder - it keeps the milk warm, so I only have to top in up about 3 times a day.  About 30 lambs using it as we had a lot of triplets this year.  It wasn't too hard to train them to use it actually - was impressed and lambs look good (some are better than them on the ewes!).  Only thing I will say, Volac instructions of how to put this feeder together are ABSOLUTELY awful. 

Have now mastered it though if anyone needs any help!  didn't help that they didn't put all the parts in the box!  Production fault apparently - no non-return valves put in. 

Madcow

• Joined Jan 2011
  • France
« Reply #10 on: April 06, 2011, 11:49:56 am »
absolutely brilliant photos, makes you wonder how she fitted them all in, I've got many photos of me with my nether regions in the air, bending down to lambs !!
Best wishes to the ewe and ALL her babies and good luck to you too  :hshoe:

Lostlambs

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Canada
« Reply #11 on: April 06, 2011, 01:01:54 pm »
I had a set of quads last week-same problem they were born in the night and in morning 2 were already gone and one died shortly after. :( :( The survivor was the smallest of the 4.She is gaining well now.I had a set of triplets 2 days ago out of a north country cross ewe-1st lamber. I have 2 more charollais cross ewes to lamb yet.I don't know why I'm getting multiples but it's nerveracking as I'm just in my second lambing year and just learning. ???

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS