Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Iodine stained fingers  (Read 4716 times)

Fleecewife

• Joined May 2010
  • South Lanarkshire
    • ScotHebs
Iodine stained fingers
« on: April 01, 2011, 11:04:42 pm »
 :sheep: :sheep: Bang on time I have iodine stained fingers  ;D  Gladstone Annette, our oldest polled* Hebridean and Gladstone Laughing Boy my avatar, who is now quite elderly, between them produced twin 4-horned tup lambs today, a day earlier than expected  :sheep: :sheep:  They may both be elderly but they certainly weren't slow to make a start back in November  :love: :D
Annette lambed in her chosen place - my OH's newly built field shelter - and both lambs were up and sucking within minutes, once I'd dunked the cords in the Colman's mint sauce jar of 10% iodine.  Now they are both tagged with their temporary lamb tags, Annette has cleansed, the dogs are happy  ;), lambs bouncing around and have full bellies.  Annette tried to persuade them to come out this evening as she wanted to graze in spite of the bowl of Tup 'n' Lamb mix she has had and several Digestives as a treat, but they took one look at the weather - howling drizzle-spattered gale - and decided inside the shelter was fine for them, thanks.  We are particularly pleased all has gone well with Annette as we haven't bred her for the last 3 years but she has forgotten none of her past experience.  Here's hoping they are ok overnight.
*polled Hebrideans are very rare with probably fewer than 10 registered.

I down - 23 to go  :)
"Let's not talk about what we can do, but do what we can"

There is NO planet B - what are YOU doing to save our home?

Do something today that your future self will thank you for - plant a tree

Love your soil - it's the lifeblood of your land.

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
  • Rarely short of an opinion but I mean well
    • Trelay Cohousing Community
Re: Iodine stained fingers
« Reply #1 on: April 02, 2011, 12:15:22 am »
Congratulations and may all your lambing continue so successfully!
Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

kanisha

• Joined Dec 2007
    • Spered Breizh Ouessants
    • Facebook
« Reply #2 on: April 02, 2011, 07:30:05 am »
nice one ;D still waiting here next week i reckon
Ravelry Group: - Ouessants & Company

jaykay

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Cumbria/N Yorks border
« Reply #3 on: April 02, 2011, 08:25:37 am »
Excellent  ;D
I start next weekend, so I'm jealous too  :)

kaz

• Joined Jul 2008
  • Ceredigion
  • Dust yourself off when life throws you down.
« Reply #4 on: April 02, 2011, 08:32:46 am »
Congrats. i'm coming to my last two. ;D
Penybont Ryelands. Ystwyth Coloured Ryelands.  2 alpacas, 2 angora goats, 2 anglo nubian kids, 3golden retrievers a collie and a red fox labrador retriever, geese, ducks & chickens.

bazzais

• Joined Jan 2010
    • Allt Y Coed Farm and Campsite
« Reply #5 on: April 02, 2011, 12:00:59 pm »
Dogs are happy ;) lol

Gives them a lovely shiny coat and makes the mucking out alot less smelly after!!

Love it!

Baz

Fleecewife

• Joined May 2010
  • South Lanarkshire
    • ScotHebs
« Reply #6 on: April 02, 2011, 02:29:18 pm »
We had less success overnight with a first time lamber fresh from the fatlands of England.  Her twins were tiny and sadly one didn't make it.  The survivor is ok and feeding but tiny too. This is one of the problems of importing stock to an area with a very different climate - fine looking stock from areas with an easy climate can struggle when they come back to their native land, especially into the harsh winter we have had  :(.  We knew this but were keen to get this particular bloodline.  Still, she has one beautiful ewe lamb which she should raise without any problems, whereas she might have struggled with the two - I'm telling myself that to feel better about losing one  :) She should have made the adjustment by next season.

Annette and her twins are out in today's sunshine, doing what sheep do  :sheep: :sheep: :sheep:  :)

Jaykay - I would rather mine had waited a day or two for that horrible wind and rain to go by but it is great to have lambs.
Baz - they are even happier today  ;) and still had the appetite to dig out and catch a gofer (bank vole)

Good luck to everyone with their lambing  :sheep:

piggy

• Joined Oct 2008
« Reply #7 on: April 02, 2011, 02:38:24 pm »
Hi,
Really sorry to read about your loss,know how you must be feeling :(
On a happier note my twins are doing well it was 1 of each so im pleased,no more lambs as yet.

Karen

robate55

• Joined Aug 2010
  • Suffolk
« Reply #8 on: April 02, 2011, 04:32:58 pm »
We are now into lambing 4 twins so far.
Rose

Fleecewife

• Joined May 2010
  • South Lanarkshire
    • ScotHebs
« Reply #9 on: April 02, 2011, 05:13:28 pm »
Hi,
Really sorry to read about your loss,know how you must be feeling :(
On a happier note my twins are doing well it was 1 of each so im pleased,no more lambs as yet.

Karen

Thank you Karen.  There is always a space, like a ghost lamb,  when the lambs are frolicking when one has died, but I just concentrate on those which have survived.  It's sad for the survivor that she doesn't have her sister - the sibling bond is stronger in sheep than the mother-offspring one, at least after the first few weeks.  She is the only lamb in that paddock so far - she is so wobbly that every time she tries to skip she falls over  :) She's getting stronger by the minute though  :sheep:
I'm glad your twins are doing well - they are such fun
Juliet

Fleecewife

• Joined May 2010
  • South Lanarkshire
    • ScotHebs
« Reply #10 on: April 02, 2011, 05:16:51 pm »
We are now into lambing 4 twins so far.
Rose

I'm glad it's going ok.  I love pics of Hebbie lambs  :)  I will try to post some tonight

suziequeue

• Joined Feb 2010
  • Llanidloes; Powys
« Reply #11 on: April 02, 2011, 07:24:38 pm »
Ha - yes.

We had our first lamb today. We were expecting the first to start arriving on 11th April but this one arrived at about midday today!!!

God - what a panic. I was convinced the milk wasn't coming through so we got the ewe and her lamby into a smaller paddock and checked her teats. One was full - the other empty - so I expect number ten (good sized boy) had already been to one side of the milk bar.

Iodine went everywhere so have my fist iodine stained fingers :-D

We do the best we can with the information we have

When we know better we do better

andywalt

• Joined Aug 2010
  • kent
  • observe react administer enjoy !!
    • photos
« Reply #12 on: April 02, 2011, 08:43:30 pm »
Sorry to hear about the loss fleecewife, such a shame !!  wish you all the best for the ones to come, i have just started my second batch
Suffolk x romneys and Texel X with Romney Tup, Shetlands and Southdown Tup

Fleecewife

• Joined May 2010
  • South Lanarkshire
    • ScotHebs
« Reply #13 on: April 02, 2011, 08:59:05 pm »
Hey Suziequeue - that's a corker of a lamb  ;D :sheep:  He looks two weeks old already  8)  My tinies are about the size of his head  :D

Thank you Andy - so many people are having strange lambings after the hard winter.  We are used to weather like that, but not at tupping time and not for so long and it is maybe showing its effects. We'll all see as lambing proceeds.  I hope your phase two goes well and that the first lot are growing fast  :sheep: :sheep:

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS