Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Compost Tea ... ?  (Read 3829 times)

Beewyched

• Joined Feb 2011
  • South Wales
    • tunkeyherd.co.uk
Compost Tea ... ?
« on: April 01, 2011, 09:07:32 pm »
Just watched Gardener's World - did anyone else?

What's this new compost tea about then?  Costs hundreds of £££ & they don't know what's in it  :o radio active, ground-up human remains?   ;)

Would rather stick to nettles or comfrey myself  ;D
Tunkey Herd - registered Kune Kune & rare breed poultry - www.tunkeyherdkunekune.com

knightquest

• Joined May 2010
  • Birmingham
    • Knight Pet Supplies
Re: Compost Tea ... ?
« Reply #1 on: April 02, 2011, 11:38:48 pm »
My thoughts exactly.

Then I realised it was April 1st  8)

Ian
Ian (me), Diane (my wife) and 4 dogs. Ollie (Lab mix) , Quest (Malamute), Gazer and Boris (Leonbergers)

cluckingnuts

• Joined Oct 2010
  • llyn peninsula
« Reply #2 on: April 03, 2011, 09:34:41 am »
Wasn't the programme made in 2003, or was that the one on another channel I'm refering to?

knightquest

• Joined May 2010
  • Birmingham
    • Knight Pet Supplies
« Reply #3 on: April 03, 2011, 11:39:37 am »
This one was new with Monty Don and Rachael De Tame (sp) doing the bit about the tea.

Ian
Ian (me), Diane (my wife) and 4 dogs. Ollie (Lab mix) , Quest (Malamute), Gazer and Boris (Leonbergers)

Beewyched

• Joined Feb 2011
  • South Wales
    • tunkeyherd.co.uk
« Reply #4 on: April 04, 2011, 10:39:08 am »
Oh - April 1st -  ::) - didn't realise  ;D
Tunkey Herd - registered Kune Kune & rare breed poultry - www.tunkeyherdkunekune.com

MicrobeMan

• Joined Apr 2011
  • east riding of yorkshire
    • www.sustainable.org.uk
« Reply #5 on: April 06, 2011, 12:50:02 pm »
i know it may have seemed like an april fool's joke, but compost teas, compost wines and microbial brews are now at the cutting edge of organic growing techniques.  I've been brewing my own recipes since the mid 1990's and grow wholly organically, with fairly impressive yields. when the RHS bods told Rachel they weren't sure what exactly was going on, but the science was complex - they hit the nail on the head! 

Most scientific approaches to microbiology focus on pure (single) species, which are then isolated, grown in macro cultures (so they and their actions can be seen) and therefore only ever understood by their singular properties. Due to the sub-microscopic size, the way differing species interact, or work cooperatively together, can never truly be witnessed. You can of course see their combined effects in terms of the nutrients they cycle and how they change soil structure, chelate minerals, modify water retention, cation exchange capacity and so on...

The problems with compost tea come if you don't brew it right - if incorrectly done, you can introduce pathogens magnified many times and herein lies the mystique of getting the ingredients and the method right.  a dark art, it is, much like alchemy  :D

but if anyone has any questions, i'd be happy to weigh in with my experiences and knowledge...
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
my old dictionary defines sustainable as:

to hold up,
to bear the weight of
to keep from falling (by support from below)
often simply: to carry, to bear.

Beewyched

• Joined Feb 2011
  • South Wales
    • tunkeyherd.co.uk
« Reply #6 on: April 09, 2011, 07:15:03 am »
Is there an optimum time for soaking the compost & what is the best ratio?  Does rain water work better than tap water or is that just for the acid-lovers  ???

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS