Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Synthetic Roofing Slates?  (Read 7710 times)

Womble

• Joined Mar 2009
  • Stirlingshire, Central Scotland
Synthetic Roofing Slates?
« on: March 15, 2011, 04:25:42 pm »

So we've somehow got to re-roof our workshop / garage this year, as the existing roof is leaking like a sieve, and if we don't do it soon, the joists will all need replacing.

If we re-use the existing slates, we'll have enough to cover the front half of the roof, but the back half is currently only done in knackered old roofing felt, so we'd need to buy more slates for that. However, given the overall age of the building, and the fact that some of the walls already need 'stabilizing'  :o, I'm a bit concerned about both the cost and the sheer weight of re-doing the roof in real slates.

So, I’ve sent off for some samples of synthetic ‘fake’ slates and slate-look tiles, just to see what they’re like, and I wondered if anyone on here has used this sort of thing before, and can give any comments?  In particular, how good a job did you feel they did, how much easier to install were they, and how long do you think they’ll last? 

I’m also concerned that re-doing the back half of the roof in a lightweight material such as the fake slates might put an uneven loading on the roof itself, if the front half of the building is done in real slate. Should I be?

Any thoughts?
"All fungi are edible. Some fungi are only edible once." -Terry Pratchett

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • ABERDON GUNDOGS for work and show
    • Facebook
Re: Synthetic Roofing Slates?
« Reply #1 on: March 15, 2011, 05:32:45 pm »
You can't re-roof the whole thing in roofing felt can you?  At least as a temporary measure?
Always have been, always will be, a WYSIWYG - black is black, white is white - no grey in my life! But I'm mellowing in my old age

robert waddell

« Reply #2 on: March 15, 2011, 05:37:18 pm »
are you going to do the roof yourself or get a roofer in?
what will the planners say about different materials ?
are you boarding and felting the roof before slateing?
if the trusses are nearly ready to go why not replace and you have a roof that will see you out :wave: :wave:
felt when buying DO NOT buy rolls of felt that have been stored flat only buy if stored on there end :wave:
« Last Edit: March 15, 2011, 05:39:15 pm by lillian waddell »

ellisr

• Joined Sep 2009
  • Wales
« Reply #3 on: March 16, 2011, 01:49:45 pm »
Just seen this!
I work for a green energy company and we do a solar slate, well a company has just come in and they do a plastic slate which is really light weight and look pleasing to the eye. I am try to find out more detail so should post it soon.

EDIT: this is the company www.crumb-rubberuk.com
« Last Edit: March 16, 2011, 04:43:53 pm by ellisr »

Womble

• Joined Mar 2009
  • Stirlingshire, Central Scotland
« Reply #4 on: March 26, 2011, 08:23:31 am »
OK, I've investigated the various options, results and can report back as follows:

1) Marley 'Rivendale' fibreboard slates:  Too uniform / regular for our use. Not particularly convincing either!
2) Marley 'Edgemere' interlocking slates (basically slate look tiles). Fairly convincing slate look. Looks easy to lay for a normal roof, but not as easy for ours due to various factors. Again, too regular looking for our ramshackle old place  :D. Very heavy. Cost roughly £1200.
3) Tapco polypropylene slates. Very convincing slate (pretty sure that after a few years weathering you'd never tell), really easy to lay, with edge guides and nailing points printed on. Easily cut with a jigsaw. Cost £3000.
4) Reclaimed welsh slate. £2000

So, on balance, I think we're going to go for the reclaimed Welsh slates, since it means no issues with planning etc (very similar colour / size), no 'technology' risk, and we can also re-use the existing slates, which cuts the cost down to roughly £1000. Yes, we'll have to replace some of the joists, and reinforce others, but overall, to my surprise, this is actually the cheapest option.

Thanks again for your help folks! Fingers crossed for a dry summer!  ;D
"All fungi are edible. Some fungi are only edible once." -Terry Pratchett

robert waddell

« Reply #5 on: March 26, 2011, 09:01:12 am »
now remember womble no working from ladders  :wave: scaffolding or climbing towers  think safety first  also the load capacity of the scaffolding or tower it does add cost BUT WHAT PRICE IS YOUR SAFETY  have fun and enjoy the i done that factor :) :) :wave:

Fi

• Joined Mar 2011
  • Aberdeenshire
« Reply #6 on: April 01, 2011, 08:46:17 am »
New to the site and forum and know very little about livestock etc, but buildings that's something I do know about. Really glad you have decided to go with slate. If done properly your new roof will see you out. I would strongly advise that you have a structural engineer have a look at the building, especially the condition of the walls as you indicated these are not in a great condition. It may be that they are absolutely fine, but there is little point in spending loads of money to put a new roof on crumbling walls without stabilising them first. In the very least I would expect you might need to do a bit of work to the wall heads to give the new trusses a good seat and ensure that you can get good fixings into the wall for the tie down straps.
Good luck with the work.
 :wave: ;D

Mel

« Reply #7 on: April 03, 2011, 08:37:42 am »
I purchased heaps of these off the fleabay and have used them on my Bantam,Duck and Geese coops,they have just been through their second winter with no problems whatsoever-and these were both really harsh winters! I found them really easy to use and are really very good. ;)

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS