Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: At last the goats have been contained :)  (Read 3748 times)

bazzais

• Joined Jan 2010
    • Allt Y Coed Farm and Campsite
At last the goats have been contained :)
« on: March 28, 2011, 06:35:39 pm »
At last after several (lame) tries at getting them penned - they are in!!!  :goat:

Post and rail with stock fence - with a 5 foot electric mesh fence bolted to the top rail - at last I can get rid of all the dead eaten plants and buy some new ones!!

They have a big pig ark, a pond and a few tables to jump across, along with 3 wild ducks and the chickens to play with (they have a chicken sized hole to get in)

They have been screaming everytime we open the front door or anyone goes past - but I am sure in time they will love it + its safer for them as they have got a taste for electric wires - mainly 12v ones but I can see them finding a mains cable if I couldnt contain them :)

Baz

jinglejoys

• Joined Jul 2009
Re: At last the goats have been contained :)
« Reply #1 on: March 28, 2011, 06:41:19 pm »
Pond....liver fluke?Hope the ducks do a good job ;)

little blue

• Joined Jun 2009
  • Derbyshire
« Reply #2 on: March 28, 2011, 07:29:39 pm »
::D all good fun?!!
Little Blue

bazzais

• Joined Jan 2010
« Reply #3 on: March 28, 2011, 07:38:27 pm »
Liver fluke yeah never really thought of it till you mention - the crawlies do get quite alot during summer as its shady too.

I'll def make sure they are upto date with their dosing.

I love the little bastards - but love and bastards are on equal pars ;)

Ta

Baz

bazzais

• Joined Jan 2010
« Reply #4 on: April 02, 2011, 12:04:47 pm »
Only two modifications so far:-

They learned how to open the gate latch - tied the gate with string.
They learned to chew the string then open gate latch - tied with rope.

Just waiting to get a chain now cos sure they'll spend all day chewing the rope.

Clever bastards these goatylids.

Baz

Mays

• Joined Jul 2010
« Reply #5 on: April 02, 2011, 01:54:09 pm »
Only two modifications so far:-

They learned how to open the gate latch - tied the gate with string.
They learned to chew the string then open gate latch - tied with rope.

Just waiting to get a chain now cos sure they'll spend all day chewing the rope.

Clever bastards these goatylids.

Baz

sorry but... LOLOLOL!! they can be ery naughty, or is it just us that are very silly! LOL!
v
x

little blue

• Joined Jun 2009
  • Derbyshire
« Reply #6 on: April 02, 2011, 09:02:45 pm »
they are clever... and have all day long to figure out how to get out!
  and if they are anything like ours, they'll just watch you put it on in the first place so need to work it out!

We have a latch (so it shuts behind you) a Brenton bolt that padlocks and, since Max was born a door chain... when he has his "mad half hour" and was jumping up the gate, we thought it would stop it swinging open.
Little Blue

Brucklay

• Joined Apr 2010
  • Perthshire
    • Brucklay Pygmy Goats
    • Facebook
« Reply #7 on: April 02, 2011, 09:13:12 pm »
Just love imagining the scene - goats are great and keep you on your toes (with hand tools at the ready)
Pygmy Goats, Shetland Sheep, Zip & Indie the Border Collies, BeeBee the cat and a wreak of a building to renovate!!

bazzais

• Joined Jan 2010
« Reply #8 on: April 02, 2011, 09:17:21 pm »
When they escape they just come to the front window and start kissing it and chewing the sky cables - they are so proud to get out, its like they have conquered tackeshis castle or done the crapton factor in under 2 minutes. the great escape going on with pockets full of mud. Bloomin goats!! lol

Baz

Brucklay

• Joined Apr 2010
  • Perthshire
    • Brucklay Pygmy Goats
    • Facebook
« Reply #9 on: April 02, 2011, 09:22:58 pm »
Mine are pretty stay in - but we have one Buffy who 'limbo's' - if she can squeeze her head sideways under anything she will continue, body flat on the ground - I don't even tell her off as it's so funny and really she only does it to follow me and the crunchies to the sheep!!
Pygmy Goats, Shetland Sheep, Zip & Indie the Border Collies, BeeBee the cat and a wreak of a building to renovate!!

bazzais

• Joined Jan 2010
« Reply #10 on: April 02, 2011, 09:56:42 pm »
They are every bit as dexterous as the stories go arnt they - blooming things!!  :goat: :goat: :goat:

Baz

Roxy

• Joined May 2009
  • Peak District
    • festivalcarriages.co.uk
« Reply #11 on: April 02, 2011, 11:52:12 pm »
I have often said that we should fence our fields with security fencing like you see round factories .....or prisons!!

Our three tall boys, hop over fencing, walls whatever.  Billy who we have just lost, could get over fences too, and field gates were his speciality.

I watched two kids today,climb on to our dry stone wall and dance along it ......

little blue

• Joined Jun 2009
  • Derbyshire
« Reply #12 on: April 03, 2011, 05:05:10 pm »
well, when I first read this, I thought to myself..  "the  only escapes we have ever, ever had have been through an open gate" so was just the teeniest bit smug about our goat-proof fencing...

.... you've guessed it - our first escape today!!
One of the kids managed to get through the stock fence where it had become loose from the wood, and couldnt get back in again.
Luckily (being only two weeks old!) she stayed close to the fence, crying through the fence to her mum who was bleating back!  I managed to pick her up quick and pop her back, no harm done.... and have spent the morning checking & fixing the fences & shed!
Little Blue

Roxy

• Joined May 2009
  • Peak District
    • festivalcarriages.co.uk
« Reply #13 on: April 03, 2011, 10:07:07 pm »
Yes, kids can get through tiny spaces - ours squeeze either under the fence, or through the squares - then they stand there bleating, wanting to come back again.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS