Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: lice-please suggest treatments!  (Read 3411 times)

zeeteecee

• Joined Jul 2010
lice-please suggest treatments!
« on: March 30, 2011, 07:29:58 am »
Hi,
I used children's headlice spray (as vet suggested) last year on my old hens,but their skin went very red and sore afterwards.Their feathers never grew again&eventually their pecking caused their demise!

I have 9 lovely young marans, who i want to treat for lice as I have seen egg clusters near their vents.  I really dont want the same thing to happen to my lovely girls.

What are the best treatments for them please?
Zeeteecee
X

Beewyched

• Joined Feb 2011
  • South Wales
    • tunkeyherd.co.uk
Re: lice-please suggest treatments!
« Reply #1 on: March 30, 2011, 08:29:24 am »
Strange advice from a vet - never tried it myself  ???  Try suppliesforsmallholders.co.uk they have stuff suitable for organic use - remember you will need to treat your chucks house too  ;)
Tunkey Herd - registered Kune Kune & rare breed poultry - www.tunkeyherdkunekune.com

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • ABERDON GUNDOGS for work and show
    • Facebook
« Reply #2 on: March 30, 2011, 12:09:49 pm »
See reply I just posted on another thread.
Always have been, always will be, a WYSIWYG - black is black, white is white - no grey in my life! But I'm mellowing in my old age

shetlandpaul

• Joined Oct 2008
« Reply #3 on: March 30, 2011, 12:15:25 pm »
sheep spot on at about 0.5 ml the smaller chuck requires less. get rid of as many clusters as you can. the loss of a few feathers won't matter and burn them. check in a few weeks and repeat if needed. very strange advice the stuff that you put on your kids hair is really nasty. don't eat the eggs for 2 weeks.

northfifeduckling

• Joined Jan 2009
  • Fife
    • North Fife Blog
« Reply #4 on: April 04, 2011, 09:54:45 am »
I "massage" my girls and douse their house with Diatomaceous Earth powder. The boy had a bad infestation last year and I gave him a few drops of cat spot on (can't use it with girls unless you withdraw the eggs). We also had to pick off the egg clusters (and burn them) from him which was not a pretty sight. None of the girls cought them but his feathers seem to take forever to grow back in the affected area. .:chook: :&>

shetlandpaul

• Joined Oct 2008
« Reply #5 on: April 04, 2011, 11:02:27 am »
its not nice pull them off. but think how many bugs your getting rid of. you must burn them or you could end up with a chicken louse problem. and don't forget to inspect your arms afterwards you will find some on you.

northfifeduckling

• Joined Jan 2009
  • Fife
    • North Fife Blog
« Reply #6 on: April 04, 2011, 11:26:14 am »
yuk  :&>

Beewyched

• Joined Feb 2011
  • South Wales
    • tunkeyherd.co.uk
« Reply #7 on: April 04, 2011, 11:31:36 am »
Are we lucky or am I blind - I've never found lice on our chucks & we've kept 4 or 5 for eggs for years.  Does it make a difference that they're free-ranging?
OR
Am I just not looking carefully enough ???
Tunkey Herd - registered Kune Kune & rare breed poultry - www.tunkeyherdkunekune.com

northfifeduckling

• Joined Jan 2009
  • Fife
    • North Fife Blog
« Reply #8 on: April 04, 2011, 12:13:21 pm »
look around the vent or under the wings - you might not see the lice but grey eggclusters sticking to the bottom of the feathers.  Maybe yours are just lucky! Chooks seem to be prone to them but I can't handle the ducks so no way of checking at close range! I can only treat their house :chook: :&>

Beewyched

• Joined Feb 2011
  • South Wales
    • tunkeyherd.co.uk
« Reply #9 on: April 04, 2011, 12:18:16 pm »
Thanks, - Will be creeping around the chuck house with my head-torch on tonight  ;)

shetlandpaul

• Joined Oct 2008
« Reply #10 on: April 04, 2011, 03:10:35 pm »
look around the vent or under the wings - you might not see the lice but grey eggclusters sticking to the bottom of the feathers.  Maybe yours are just lucky! Chooks seem to be prone to them but I can't handle the ducks so no way of checking at close range! I can only treat their house :chook: :&>
not had ducks but i can say that geese have a very strange type. so at a guess i think ducks would probably have there own type.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS