Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Hello from Yorkshire  (Read 2411 times)

Elyssian

• Joined Jan 2009
Hello from Yorkshire
« on: January 14, 2009, 04:25:24 pm »
Hello, Everyone.

Sorry, I'm a bit of a fraud really as I'm not actually a smallholder. I've had a couple of allotments for years and have managed to become pretty well self-sufficient in fruit and veg, and we've had chickens (hens only) scratching around in the back garden for quite a while. We've just taken on another huge, double allotment, this time at a private site where we're allowed to keep livestock. It sounds awful, I know, but actually it's a really lovely, secluded, secure site. I will be able to keep a 'proper' flock now, with cockerel, and I'm really looking forward to it. I quite fancy breeding for exhibition at the local agricultural shows too, but know little or nothing about it (our garden hens have always been hybrids) so that's something to aspire to (once I've chosen a breed, I'm currently changing my mind two or three times a day). Other people at the new site keep goats, pigs and bees, but that all seems a little too adventurous at the moment - they all have more than one double plot, too!
I've joined this site hoping to learn, especially about the poultry, so I hope you won't all get too cross with me if (when!!!) I ask stupid or obvious questions. I'll try not to become too annoying.  :)

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • ABERDON GUNDOGS for work and show
    • Facebook
Re: Hello from Yorkshire
« Reply #1 on: January 14, 2009, 05:24:26 pm »
Welcome to the forum - I'm a bigger fraud than you - I just have a big garden a few dogs and cats, and 9 hens and a cockerel, 3 ducks and a drake.  No-one here will laugh at you - maybe with you :D and they are all really good with sound advice.
Have fun on here - I do!
Annie
« Last Edit: January 15, 2009, 09:43:37 am by doganjo »
Always have been, always will be, a WYSIWYG - black is black, white is white - no grey in my life! But I'm mellowing in my old age

Rosemary

• Joined Oct 2007
  • Barry, Angus, Scotland
    • The Accidental Smallholder
Re: Hello from Yorkshire
« Reply #2 on: January 15, 2009, 08:42:29 am »
Hi and welcome.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS