Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Hello from Worcestershire  (Read 3836 times)

MrsJ

• Joined Jan 2009
Hello from Worcestershire
« on: January 14, 2009, 12:31:12 pm »
Hi. 

I am part of a small (but growing) group of friends in Worcestershire.  Most of us owned chickens/ducks but then one of the members said that she had grazing rights on the local commons, and things began to mushroom.  First we bought 6 Gloucester Old Spot pigs.  Then came a flock of 15 ewes and 15 lambs (North Country Mules) and finally, 4 cows (Two Murray Greys and two Blonde D'Aquitaine Crosses).  The first pigs and the lambs are now in our freezers but we do have three more pigs and are looking forward to more sheep in the spring.  We have made sausages, bacon, black pudding and hams.  My husband went on a course at River Cottage and did all the butchery, passing on his new skills to other members of the group when we slaughtered our stock.  I had some of the wool when our flock was shorn and taught myself to spin on a drop spindle (cheaper than a wheel!) - slow going but very satisfying.

Off to have a look around to see what others are up to. :chook:

Dan

• The Accidental Smallholder
  • Administrator
  • Joined Oct 2007
  • Carnoustie, Angus
    • Facebook
Re: Hello from Worcestershire
« Reply #1 on: January 14, 2009, 07:55:00 pm »
Hello MrsJ and welcome!

How did you manage to get your blood for the black pudding? We'd love to make our own but our abattoir won't give us our pigs' blood, I think it's too much hassle for them.   :(

And please don't talk too much about your cows, my better half wants one and we don't have the room!  :D

Dan

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • ABERDON GUNDOGS for work and show
    • Facebook
« Reply #2 on: January 14, 2009, 11:29:36 pm »
Yes, and we're all going to see some very pretty Highlands soon.  I was quite surprised that you need an acre at least for a cow.  You'll just have to put one with the horse!  We could have Rosemary frisked before she leaves. ;)
Always have been, always will be, a WYSIWYG - black is black, white is white - no grey in my life! But I'm mellowing in my old age

MrsJ

• Joined Jan 2009
« Reply #3 on: January 15, 2009, 06:28:05 am »
We're lucky that one of our group has commoners' rights on a number of local commons, so we have plenty of room for the unmentionable cows...ooops I said the word!

Re the black pudding, our first pigs went to an abattoir in Gloucestershire and they wouldnt let us have the blood.  The two pigs we kept on for bacon went to a smaller abattoir and they did let us have the blood.  It's difficult as they have to keep the blood seperate from any other blood until the carcass has been checked, but obviously, it can be done.  And the results were worth it!
« Last Edit: January 15, 2009, 07:41:02 am by MrsJ »

Rosemary

• Joined Oct 2007
  • Barry, Angus, Scotland
« Reply #4 on: January 15, 2009, 08:38:34 am »
Hi and welcome to the TAS forums.

I think the phrase dan ia seeking is that we don't have cows YET!

MrsJ

• Joined Jan 2009
« Reply #5 on: January 15, 2009, 12:05:39 pm »
The cows are lovely - until you want to catch one! 

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS