Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Comforting an orphan lamb  (Read 5085 times)

craiglockwood

• Joined May 2009
  • South Wales
    • Website
Comforting an orphan lamb
« on: March 27, 2011, 09:00:56 pm »
After much consideration today I took in my first orphan lamb, a two day old called Stephanie. I read about all the physiological aspects so was well prepped for feeding and housing requirements but am concerned about not being able to comfort her! We are on the lookout for more orphan lambs for company, but she gets really distressed any time I leave her on her own! Are there any tips or tricks for making her feel comfortable? Or am I just being soft? All help much appreciated.

Rosemary

• Joined Oct 2007
  • Barry, Angus, Scotland
    • The Accidental Smallholder
Re: Comforting an orphan lamb
« Reply #1 on: March 27, 2011, 09:03:43 pm »
Maybe a hot water bottle wrapped in a wooly jumper. Or with a ticking clock to mimic a heartbeat? I've seen this recommended for puppies.

andywalt

• Joined Aug 2010
  • kent
  • observe react administer enjoy !!
    • photos
« Reply #2 on: March 27, 2011, 09:56:03 pm »
Sheep are flock animals, when a lamb is born it sticks tight to its mother especially on the first 3 -4 weeks, and will bleet away in the field when the mother or it has wondered off and realises its on it own, you are now the mother so it will act in the same way, two would be better and it would take the pressure off you, they dont like being alone.

Suffolk x romneys and Texel X with Romney Tup, Shetlands and Southdown Tup

khajou

• Joined Aug 2010
« Reply #3 on: March 28, 2011, 01:10:04 pm »
If I have only one bottle fed lamb, I pop to the local charity shop and buy it a teddy! At night it has got something to cuddle up to and buy day it will probably bounce on it! I had a single ram lamb once on the bottle and he had a teddy, until one day - he butted it in a fit of rage and poor teddy became unstuffed!

faith0504

• Joined Aug 2010
  • Cairngorms
  • take it easy and chill
    • blaemuir cottage
« Reply #4 on: March 28, 2011, 01:38:03 pm »
i was also going to suggest a teddy, rosemarys idea of a ticking clock is a good idea also  :wave:

MrsJ

• Joined Jan 2009
« Reply #5 on: March 28, 2011, 05:12:22 pm »
Last year, we used a pink fluffy bunny - I don't think it helped her, she just pooped all over it! but I felt better about leaving her at night. 

ellisr

• Joined Sep 2009
  • Wales
« Reply #6 on: March 28, 2011, 05:18:54 pm »
I would definately try and get a play pal for it

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS