Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Big Bud?  (Read 2706 times)

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • ABERDON GUNDOGS for work and show
    • Facebook
Big Bud?
« on: March 27, 2011, 12:41:45 pm »
I have a lovely rhododendron in my front garden.  It was just in grass but now that section is gravelled from last September time.  A friend told me a couple of years ago that it had Big Bud, a disease spread by spores and that I should remove any blown buds and burn them, which I did that year, but forgot last year.  I didn't actually notice any which is probably why I didn't do it.  I'm wondering if the gravel underneath will help prevent this disease as I can't see any suspect buds this year as yet.  And if it doesn't is there any preventative cure rather than just picking the buds off when I see them - to me that seems like bolting the stable door etc etc
Always have been, always will be, a WYSIWYG - black is black, white is white - no grey in my life! But I'm mellowing in my old age

little blue

• Joined Jun 2009
  • Derbyshire
Re: Big Bud?
« Reply #1 on: March 27, 2011, 07:07:05 pm »
"big bud" is, as you say a fungal disease.
There is no cure, but be aware that the spores can survive for several years on blown buds so removing them is important to try and stop the spread.

maybe you're lucky enough to have caught it in time!
It survives in a more mild climate than Clackmannan, so the harsher winters may have reduce your chances of being affected (not you, your rhodo  ;) )

The spores can enter through the holes left the rhodo leaf hopper..  so you could spray with a bifenthrin based insecticide (Provado) if you aren't organic too ...
Little Blue

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • Facebook
« Reply #2 on: March 27, 2011, 10:56:17 pm »
Thanks, LB - I'll check the buds and remove and burn any that look affected.  I also have a wee problem of identification, don't want to denude the poor thing completely.  Most of the buds are still green but one or two have pinky brown on some bits of the buds - it doesn't look rotten or fungussy if you know what I mean, but are these affected buds?
Always have been, always will be, a WYSIWYG - black is black, white is white - no grey in my life! But I'm mellowing in my old age

little blue

• Joined Jun 2009
  • Derbyshire
« Reply #3 on: March 28, 2011, 09:00:51 pm »
hmmm...  If you think the other buds are healthy, then remove the brown looking ones!  They could be frost-damaged, rather than fungal, if there's no sign of the black-ish fungus spores.

g**gling might show you images that you can compare to yours .... the RHS is usually good, but I've never used it for rhodos
:)
Little Blue

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • Facebook
« Reply #4 on: March 28, 2011, 11:14:22 pm »
Looks like it's proper name is 'Bud Blast' - The disease is more noticeable in the spring, when buds will be dark brown and normally covered in small black hair-like growths of the fungus disease.
Mine don't have any black bits or hairs on them just sort of pinky brown outer leaves, but I'll keep an eye on them.  Thanks for your help  ;D :bouquet:

little blue

• Joined Jun 2009
  • Derbyshire
« Reply #5 on: March 29, 2011, 08:14:08 pm »
  Thanks for your help  ;D :bouquet:
...pleasure!   :D
Little Blue

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS