Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: winter feeding  (Read 4216 times)

hoggsbreath

• Joined Dec 2010
winter feeding
« on: March 26, 2011, 11:25:33 am »
how much hay would a fully grown hereford in calf cow get through when inside for winter.going to start with a few cows this year and just wondered how much hay to stock up on?.thanks.mat.

belgianblue

• Joined Jun 2010
Re: winter feeding
« Reply #1 on: March 31, 2011, 04:19:26 pm »
at least 100 bales per cow and add another 50 bales for backup as we had 2 bad winters on the trot.

Rosemary

• Joined Oct 2007
  • Barry, Angus, Scotland
    • The Accidental Smallholder
« Reply #2 on: March 31, 2011, 05:00:26 pm »
Funny, I was looking for this information today.

In John Seymour's book, he says, and I paraphrase slightly, 9kg of good hay will maintain a large cow like a Friesian, 5.5kg will maintain a small cow like a Jersey. For maintenance plus 1 gallon, 12.9kg and 9kg per day respectively.

I'm off to do some sums too.

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
  • Rarely short of an opinion but I mean well
    • Trelay Cohousing Community
« Reply #3 on: April 28, 2011, 02:58:26 am »
We feed 1/2 small bale per day per cow when they are indoors.  We bale our own and they are not lightweight!

Our cows are sucklers, mainly Angus & Hereford crosses out of Friesans.
« Last Edit: April 28, 2011, 03:09:39 am by SallyintNorth »
Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

jacquip

• Joined Apr 2011
« Reply #4 on: April 28, 2011, 02:45:51 pm »
how much hay would a fully grown hereford in calf cow get through when inside for winter.going to start with a few cows this year and just wondered how much hay to stock up on?.thanks.mat.
Very good booklet here

http://www.dardni.gov.uk/ruralni/pub41_dpdb.pdf

Rosemary

• Joined Oct 2007
  • Barry, Angus, Scotland
    • The Accidental Smallholder
« Reply #5 on: April 28, 2011, 04:30:10 pm »
Excellent - I'll have fun with this booklet  ;D

Hebridean

• Joined Nov 2010
« Reply #6 on: May 17, 2011, 08:11:51 pm »
Hi SallyintNorth! Would your bales be mini round bales or traditional square bales? I'm going to be baling with a friend this year and am taking 'payment' in bales, so it would be useful to know how many bales I might 'ask' for!

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
  • Rarely short of an opinion but I mean well
    • Trelay Cohousing Community
« Reply #7 on: May 18, 2011, 03:26:13 pm »
Hi Hebridean
Our bales are the traditional small square bales.  Ours are generally pretty hefty, BH likes 'em baled tight - although sometimes we have to lighten them a bit or no-one will help us stook and mew!  (Particularly as they are heavier when just made, they lose weight as they dry over the autumn.)
I think BH reckons our small bales (when dried) are 50-55 to the tonne, some people making lighterweight small bales it might be as many as 80 to the tonne.
Hope that helps
Sally
Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

Hebridean

• Joined Nov 2010
« Reply #8 on: May 18, 2011, 07:22:33 pm »
Thanks for that Sally. It sounds as though your square bales will be comparable with the mini round bales that we will be making. So I can now 'negotiate' my wages more accurately. My pal is a Yorkshireman, so I expect the negotiations might be a bit tricky! ;D

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS