Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: heptavac and worm lambs  (Read 3711 times)

Advertisement

shrekfeet

• Joined Sep 2008
heptavac and worm lambs
« on: March 25, 2011, 12:32:04 pm »
how old should the lambs be when I do this?

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
  • Rarely short of an opinion but I mean well
    • Trelay Cohousing Community
Re: heptavac and worm lambs
« Reply #1 on: March 25, 2011, 01:38:07 pm »
I think it will tell you on the packaging that it must not be administered to lambs under 3 weeks old.  I only vaccinate lambs this young if they are orphans and have been having formula milk after the first 24 hours of colostrum or replacer.  Otherwise, if they've been on their mums all along, I don't vaccinate at all if they will be fattened before the first winter.  Keeping ewe lambs get vaccinated mid-winter, or late winter if they are being tupped in their first year.
Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

Fishyhaddock

• Joined Apr 2009
  • aberdeenshire
« Reply #2 on: March 25, 2011, 02:06:28 pm »
Think it's 12 weeks ish. Fishy.

shep53

• Joined Jan 2011
  • Dumfries & Galloway
« Reply #3 on: March 25, 2011, 08:47:14 pm »
For the heptavac from 4wks onwards as sally says depends on when killed/sold/retained your choice remember it needs done twice 4 to 6wks apart. For woming i would sugest SFSs faecal egg count pack so you only treat when worms are present.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS