Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: what to cross with a Yorkshire  (Read 2107 times)

yankieGirl

• Joined Jan 2011
  • Pennsylvania, USA
what to cross with a Yorkshire
« on: November 05, 2011, 05:16:14 pm »
Ideally we would like to AI our Yorkshire gilt in Dec/Jan.

What would be a nice cross?

Also, we don't necessarily want  supper lean piggies.  What should I look for. 

I have to find a supplier yet as well.

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
  • Rarely short of an opinion but I mean well
    • Trelay Cohousing Community
Re: what to cross with a Yorkshire
« Reply #1 on: November 06, 2011, 02:46:14 am »

For pig semen, I only know of Deerpark. 

http://www.deerpark-pigs.com/

They don't list all the breeds that they have on their website - give them a ring to find out what they can offer you.

They are very friendly and helpful and their service is excellent.  Just be aware that although the semen will keep for up to a week, they don't tell you not to put the box in the fridge if you are storing it for a few days before using - it needs to be stored in a cool but not cold place.  (I learned about this the hard way...  ::))

I don't know the Yorkshire breed - do you mean Large White?  If you are wanting to AI, Deerpark have Saddleback, which is a good bacon pig so wouldn't be too lean, and I think also Welsh, which is quite lean for a traditional breed I think.  (But any of them seem to be able to put on fat if fed plenty!  :D)  They don't yet have an OSB boar up and running but are hoping to get one working soon.  According to their website they also have Hampshire (robert will tell you how this would be as a cross), Duroc, Pietrain, Landrace and Large White.
Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

Hopewell

• Joined Apr 2011
« Reply #2 on: November 06, 2011, 10:00:43 am »

I see that you are in the US so I can only suggest looking at www.thepigsite.com as I know there is a list of suppliers on the site.

yankieGirl

• Joined Jan 2011
  • Pennsylvania, USA
« Reply #3 on: November 06, 2011, 12:23:39 pm »
Thank you.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS