Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: feeding lawn clippings to sheep?  (Read 8522 times)

trefnantbach

• Joined Feb 2010
  • Anglesey
feeding lawn clippings to sheep?
« on: March 24, 2011, 09:39:28 pm »
The grass seems to be growing at a faster rate on our lawns around the house than in the fields right now and I was thinking about bringing out the ride-on over the week end to tidy things up a bit. I prefer to keep a distinction between what is ours (the lawns) and what is the sheeps (the fields) hence putting the sheep on the lawns is not an option!
I know that feeding lawn clippings to horses is a complete no no, but what about sheep? Would they cope with eating them with out keeling over?

robert waddell

Re: feeding lawn clippings to sheep?
« Reply #1 on: March 24, 2011, 09:46:19 pm »
now that is a lovley pig on your avatar what is wrong with giving them the grass AS LONG AS IT HAS NOT TREATED WITH ANYTHING :wave:

Fleecewife

• Joined May 2010
  • South Lanarkshire
    • ScotHebs
« Reply #2 on: March 25, 2011, 12:25:13 am »
Hmm - I would be very wary about it.  We have given ours lawn clippings on occasion but in small amounts only.  My worry is that, particularly if they are left in a heap, it will take no time at all for the grass to start fermenting.  Something tells me that should be bad for the sheep, but I suppose they eat haylage.  Hopefully someone will answer who knows.
"Let's not talk about what we can do, but do what we can"

There is NO planet B - what are YOU doing to save our home?

Do something today that your future self will thank you for - plant a tree

Love your soil - it's the lifeblood of your land.

Hermit

• Joined Feb 2010
« Reply #3 on: March 25, 2011, 07:52:34 am »
We make silage in blue barrels out of ours ,we just pack it in blue barrels and add some molasses to make a beautiful feed. The sheep eat it well and we still have two barrels left in case of a last snow. When I have thrown some  fresh cuttings in the field for the chooks to scratch at the sheep have not even been interested in it. I think there is a thread on blue barrel silage on here or definately on RC

horsemadmummy

• Joined Feb 2010
« Reply #4 on: March 25, 2011, 09:42:34 am »
How long does your silage keep in the barrells and how much molasses do you use?

Hermit

• Joined Feb 2010
« Reply #5 on: March 25, 2011, 11:05:30 am »
The silage we are using now was made last summer and still looks ok, I have only seen my OH pouring the molasses in but looks like three pintsworth per blue barrel. We were told we would have trouble getting it out as blue barrels are narrower at the top but we just lay them down and let the sheep eat out of them( and check them for duck eggs!)

horsemadmummy

• Joined Feb 2010
« Reply #6 on: March 25, 2011, 03:43:07 pm »
anyone know how i can get blue barrels?

Hermit

• Joined Feb 2010
« Reply #7 on: March 25, 2011, 03:58:27 pm »
Look for ads in the freecycles or contact a firm that uses them. You have to watch what has been put in them though as they are used for chemicals.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS