Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: business plan (farmers life for me)  (Read 12533 times)

bloomer

• Joined Aug 2010
  • leslie, fife
  • i have chickens, sheep and opinions!!!
business plan (farmers life for me)
« on: March 24, 2011, 09:16:30 pm »
well having watched a farmes life for me and clearly the winners aren't allowed to run a small holding they have to run a business and make a living wage off their 25 acres...

you are given 25 acres with basic facilities in Surrey (you can make some basic assumptions that suit you)

what would you do with a view to making a profit???

robert waddell

Re: business plan (farmers life for me)
« Reply #1 on: March 24, 2011, 09:19:25 pm »
the whole thing is b*****ks ;D ;D

bloomer

• Joined Aug 2010
  • leslie, fife
« Reply #2 on: March 24, 2011, 09:21:22 pm »
we know that

i love the idea of livestock and at least in surrey if you can manage a bespoke product you can target the London market, still not sure what i'd have pitched to win though!!!

Beewyched

• Joined Feb 2011
  • South Wales
    • tunkeyherd.co.uk
« Reply #3 on: March 24, 2011, 09:21:53 pm »
Very eloquently put Lillian ;)
Tunkey Herd - registered Kune Kune & rare breed poultry - www.tunkeyherdkunekune.com

robert waddell

« Reply #4 on: March 24, 2011, 09:35:03 pm »
well i never liked jimmy after his failure to spot his boars leg was full of pus so who has he slept with to gain the knowledge he is now preaching          just my view :wave:

Beewyched

• Joined Feb 2011
  • South Wales
    • tunkeyherd.co.uk
« Reply #5 on: March 24, 2011, 09:41:54 pm »
Oh Lillian, you are outrageous  ;)
Tunkey Herd - registered Kune Kune & rare breed poultry - www.tunkeyherdkunekune.com

robate55

• Joined Aug 2010
  • Suffolk
« Reply #6 on: March 24, 2011, 09:47:47 pm »
I'm with Lillian. There were so few animals on his farm when we went to a sheepdog trial there, you wonder where he gets the produce to sell at such enormous prices in his shop. Mind you I have heard rumours where the meat comes from but can't confirm personally.
Rose

bloomer

• Joined Aug 2010
  • leslie, fife
« Reply #7 on: March 24, 2011, 09:51:54 pm »
ok this wasn't supposed to be an i hate jimmy thread it was supposed to be a fun attempt at a silly question...

robert waddell

« Reply #8 on: March 24, 2011, 09:55:46 pm »
he will probably have used Debbie and Andrews business plan you create the product some poor minion produces the bassis of your product you make a fortune      or the pigs are just show  and the product is commercially reared :wave:

cmorrell

• Joined Jan 2009
  • Kirkintilloch, NE of Glasgow
    • Calum Morrell Photography
« Reply #9 on: March 25, 2011, 12:45:36 am »
I would mine for gold, luckily find diamonds instead, then strike oil and retire a week later.

Is there a better use for 25 acres?

Hilarysmum

• Joined Oct 2007
« Reply #10 on: March 25, 2011, 07:36:54 am »
I do know of someone who produces pigs for Jimmy, the pigs are sold to him from the abattoir so they never step a trotter on Jimmy's farm.

Hilarysmum

• Joined Oct 2007
« Reply #11 on: March 25, 2011, 07:39:24 am »
On the subect of the business plan, they would have to have a very good product and market to produce a profit in a year on 25 acres.  Hopefully the programme will do for them what Jimmy's Farm did for Jimmy and give them a huge boost.  Being on television it appears is the way to sell a good product at inflated prices.  (Apologies to Jimmy fans but his products are nice but not exceptional).

Sandy

« Reply #12 on: March 25, 2011, 09:07:26 am »
I am NO farmer, our chickens are just having a holiday here  ;) I would grow some herbs and fungi in poly tunnels, like I have said on other threads, there are a lot of legal highs and medicimal herbs, that can be leagaly sold, I know lavender is also very popular and is used in everything, that depends a lot on the quality of the soil and drainage, from these products you could make your own herble stuff and toiletries.  I would try to market them on tin ternet like E Bay, to the rich hippy trippy lot!!! Also, have some ALpaca  to sell thier wool. As I said, no farmer but I doubt that a good profit can be made from that amount of land unless you use it for letting to other people with animals!!!!!! What about angora rabbitts too??? Course goats are also great and some fancy birds (not like me)
« Last Edit: March 25, 2011, 09:56:51 am by Sandy »

Rosemary

• Joined Oct 2007
  • Barry, Angus, Scotland
    • The Accidental Smallholder
« Reply #13 on: March 25, 2011, 11:05:40 am »
I didn't watch it. What was the winners' business plan? Maybe we could do it here  ;D

bloomer

• Joined Aug 2010
  • leslie, fife
« Reply #14 on: March 25, 2011, 11:10:46 am »
the business plans they offered were ripped to shreds by the judges as impractical, hence why i started the thread!!!

in due consideration, if i had to go for profit it would be some form of cropping, baby herbs salads etc for the restaurant trade, but personally have no interest in such area so thats a bit rubbish.

for fun i would go with what the old couple suggested, which was a bit of everything and sod the profit just break even and enjoy!!!

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS