Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Do pig arks need planning?  (Read 9024 times)

Roxy

• Joined May 2009
  • Peak District
    • festivalcarriages.co.uk
Do pig arks need planning?
« on: March 24, 2011, 03:37:38 pm »
Due to our house move etc.  my animals are all coming back to my other holding, which is much smaller, until we purchase more land, and hopefully buildings.
I have on order a new ark for the two pigs, which will free up a field shelter for the goats, and also have three more larger arks (larger in length and width, on order, these are specifically for goats.

Supplier says definitely no planning required, they are portable, on skids, and I have deliberately not got floors in, but will use rubber matting and plenty of bedding.

Our Council is very keen about buidlings etc.  And I do not want to draw attention to what I am doing by asking if permission is needed - no matter what it is, they say yes!!

So I am asking you knowledgeable people - how many arks do you have, and do you have permission?

bloomer

• Joined Aug 2010
  • leslie, fife
  • i have chickens, sheep and opinions!!!
Re: Do pig arks need planning?
« Reply #1 on: March 24, 2011, 03:41:02 pm »
i dont have animals yet but all my research which is getting to be quite thorough would say no you don't need planning as they are temporary structures.

HappyHippy

« Reply #2 on: March 24, 2011, 03:47:04 pm »
They're temporary, moveable structures - being used on a registered holding for livestock purposes, definately wouldn't need planning.
HTH
Karen x

Roxy

• Joined May 2009
  • Peak District
« Reply #3 on: March 24, 2011, 04:42:23 pm »
Oh, thank you for reassuring me!!  I was just wondering what to do with my new arks if I was wrong in my thinking......  I have just phoned my local council to enquire, and they do not answer questions over the phone, wanted me to fill in a form and send it in.  Persuaded the nice man on reception to relay my quick question (giving him a very vague description of where I am - as in just the village!!)  He tried 8 people and not one picked up.  I have left my number and he said they had to get back within one working day, so we will see what they say.

I would have thought it would be helpful to people wanting planning if they could just chat in advance, before submitting plans maybe  - but hey, who am I to question the mighty planners!!!

Beewyched

• Joined Feb 2011
  • South Wales
    • tunkeyherd.co.uk
« Reply #4 on: March 24, 2011, 04:52:06 pm »
Hiya Roxy  :wave:

Guessing the local authority have already granted you a holding number, they're unlikely to stop you from providing adequate housing for your little piggies - it would go against animal welfare, Defra regs etc.

Though ... knowing most councils, one department seems totally incapable of communicating with the other (even when they're in the same building  ::)  but there are loads of experienced peops on the Pig Forum who will be able to quote you the regs if you get into a battle with them  ;D
Tunkey Herd - registered Kune Kune & rare breed poultry - www.tunkeyherdkunekune.com

Roxy

• Joined May 2009
  • Peak District
« Reply #5 on: March 25, 2011, 06:52:26 am »
Well, hubby says we are going ahead .....arks are already ordered ......knowing folks round here, someone will "mention" them to the relevant department!!

Helencus

• Joined Feb 2010
  • NW Leicestershire
« Reply #6 on: March 25, 2011, 07:10:17 am »
Don't you just love some neighbours!
As HH says 100% certain no planning is required. I have 4 and if ever a council were going to be difficult it'd be mine and they acknowledge no PP required for them.

Beewyched

• Joined Feb 2011
  • South Wales
    • tunkeyherd.co.uk
« Reply #7 on: March 25, 2011, 09:16:52 pm »
Hey Roxy,

Just send a flyer round inviting them all to a Hog Roast in the summer  :yum: that should keep them quite  ;D
Tunkey Herd - registered Kune Kune & rare breed poultry - www.tunkeyherdkunekune.com

Roxy

• Joined May 2009
  • Peak District
« Reply #8 on: March 25, 2011, 10:13:31 pm »
 ;D  Hog Roast?  They would report me for cruelty as well as planning regs!!

Yeterday, I rang the planning.  Told the person on the end of the phone that it was just a general enquiry about arks.  Oh no, they could not answer questions over the phone, but would send me an enquiry form to fill in and send back, and they would then write and say whether I need permsiion - how long would all this take!!!!  In the end the man said he would relay my question. I was put on hold.   He came back and apologised because 8 extensions had not replied.  But he took my number, and said someone must ring me back in one working day.

Well, that one working day has passed, and no phone call.  So I think I can put my arks up, and if they say anything, I will mention my phone call!!

I was very careful not to disclose where we were - just vague!!

bazzais

• Joined Jan 2010
    • Allt Y Coed Farm and Campsite
« Reply #9 on: March 25, 2011, 11:05:39 pm »
Good to be vague :)

I would just put them up in all honesty - no need for planning really under planning law - but planning law is interpreted by different authorities completely differently.  We would all like to think we live under a single governmental body but in the end all decisions can be overruled by a nobody in a shirt.

Best do first and get asked questions later imo.

Baz

Billy Rhomboid

• Joined Sep 2010
« Reply #10 on: March 26, 2011, 12:52:42 pm »
I work with planning applications a great deal as my main job and can categorically state you do not need planning permission for a transportable pig ark.

Hilarysmum

• Joined Oct 2007
« Reply #11 on: March 26, 2011, 03:37:16 pm »
;D  Hog Roast?  They would report me for cruelty as well as planning regs!!

Whilst dashing off to Tesco/Waitrose for their "cruelty free" burgers made from imported meat from an Eastern European country where the pig welfare is not a consideration

off for the blood pressure tablets   a g ain

jacob and Georgina

• Joined May 2010
« Reply #12 on: March 26, 2011, 09:29:30 pm »
you do not need planning for anything that can be classed as a `tempory` strucure so if it can be moved you are ok

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS