Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Somewhere for poultry?  (Read 2379 times)

wales01man

• Joined Sep 2010
Somewhere for poultry?
« on: March 24, 2011, 12:56:36 pm »
Help
       Im moving to bicester in april and im after a piece of land with a building in the bicester area to raise poultry
i cant afford much rent but i would be willing to offer my skills as a carpenter and general builder in exchange for use of building and land.
I know this is a long shot but somewhere out there they may be something.
Thanks for looking

Steve

Roxy

• Joined May 2009
  • Peak District
    • festivalcarriages.co.uk
Re: Somewhere for poultry?
« Reply #1 on: March 24, 2011, 01:06:05 pm »
Hope you find something suitable.

Pity you are not moving to Derbyshire - we have a third of an acre, complete with large goat stable, standing empty, as we have yet to sell the (empty) house!  You could have used that for poultry, as we used to.

wales01man

• Joined Sep 2010
« Reply #2 on: March 28, 2011, 07:25:59 pm »
Thanks Roxy If i was near there i would take up offer I'm hoping that someone near where I'm going can come across i tried in west wales  with no luck despite the fact i can within 5 miles see dozens and dozens of empty buildings with unused land i tried on landshare but only got the offer of a vegetable growing plot 7 months after i emailed the person offerring it.
It seems such a pity that despite there being probably thousands of unused plots of land and building that can be used for small horticultural  or poultry enterprises nobody for whatever reason lets them stay unused.
Through this forum maybe something along the lines of Landshare could happen.
Heres hoping

wales01man

• Joined Sep 2010
« Reply #3 on: April 28, 2011, 08:39:06 pm »
Have now moved to bicester would still be interested in somewhere to keep poultry,heres hoping

Beewyched

• Joined Feb 2011
  • South Wales
    • tunkeyherd.co.uk
« Reply #4 on: April 28, 2011, 08:46:46 pm »
It's really frustrating trying to find land/buildings, especially when you see empty places falling apart through lack of use.  It took us 8 months to get the field we rent now - seems to be easier to rent 100 plus acres than 5  ??? it also works out at less than half the price per acre once you go over the 50 mark - ok for the farmers, but not much use for us smallholders  ::)

Here's hoping you get something soon  :hshoe:
Tunkey Herd - registered Kune Kune & rare breed poultry - www.tunkeyherdkunekune.com

wales01man

• Joined Sep 2010
« Reply #5 on: May 31, 2011, 10:35:21 pm »
im here now and still looking seems a long shot but who knows tried landshare but thats a waste of webspace

Roxy

• Joined May 2009
  • Peak District
    • festivalcarriages.co.uk
« Reply #6 on: May 31, 2011, 11:20:21 pm »
Sorry you have had no luck.  We have a lot of allotments near us, but most of them do not allow livestock nowadays, and there is such a waiting list anyway.  There must be someone near you, who has perhaps given up keeping hens, but still has their plot.

There again, just lately I have seen a few small "allotments" round here, or crofts of around a third of an acre, priced at £30,000!!!!

My house and field are still empty, and funny enough no one has approached me to ask to use the land - which would be ideal for poultry/goats etc.

Hatty

• Joined Feb 2011
« Reply #7 on: June 01, 2011, 08:00:22 am »
im here now and still looking seems a long shot but who knows tried landshare but thats a waste of webspace

Keep looking on land share there wasn't much first few times we looked but found 5acres on there in the end! If you have seen some land why don't you go to your local land registry and see if they will put you in touch with the owner  :wave:
How long did you say it would take me to dig this 5 acres with my spade?

wales01man

• Joined Sep 2010
« Reply #8 on: August 14, 2011, 07:17:23 pm »
Just to keep this post in view I'm still looking and after having no luck with landshare,I would still like to keep poultry or at best would be willing to help out occasionally on a small holding in return for some space I'm more than willing to offer my building skills.
I'm sure i am not the only one on here to feel that there must be acres and acres and thousands of buildings all over the country that are unused Cameron's big society idea should include the vision to help us grow and produce more for ourselves we must all wait for the miracle to happen

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS