Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Help!! advice needed please!!  (Read 2240 times)

nihicib2

• Joined Jun 2010
Help!! advice needed please!!
« on: March 24, 2011, 09:18:10 pm »
Hi all

We got in some goats in very poor condition over a month ago, they were wormed etc from the person who gave them to us (he got them from someone else), anyway they all seemed to be doing well until this morning when we noticed that one of them would not get up, was very weak etc, unfortunately she died on the way to the vet, he preformed an autopsy on her and said it was fluke. A friend of ours (sheep farmer) came and dosed the rest with Flukiver, however I am just discovering that this product  ' must not be administered to lactating sheep producing milk or milk products for human consumption

As we milk the rest of the goats and are waiting on some to kid, to be milked afterwards, can anyone give me any advice about our milk, can we use it, is there a withdrawal period, or is that our miking over this year??  My friend dosed them in good faith, one of the other (brought in) goats is down tonight but we have followed vets advice and she seems to be a bit brighter, so any words of wisdom would be great.

Thanks in advance

Bríd

Anke

• Joined Dec 2009
  • St Boswells, Scottish Borders
Re: Help!! advice needed please!!
« Reply #1 on: March 24, 2011, 10:41:56 pm »
Really not sure about fluke in goats, mine haven'T had it. But I have treated (as an emergency) my sheep with fasinex just after lambing, as fluke was detected in the worm count. No harm came to the lambs, and all the ewes are still with me too....

Meat withdrawal is quite long (56 days), but I would think the milk is safe for the goat kids to drink. As for yourself, I guess you have to make up your own mind. It has probably never been tested, as the number of sheep kept for milking is really quite small. And it is probably not licensed for goats. I know quite a few goatkeepers that quite happily drink the milk (and are worm free....)

wytsend

• Joined Oct 2010
  • Okehampton
Re: Help!! advice needed please!!
« Reply #2 on: March 25, 2011, 06:36:45 am »
Check with the Vet. 

As Anke says, a lot of  'Do not drink....' instructions  are intended for dairy cattle,   very few things are licenced for goats, but your Vet will be able to advise.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS