Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Trailhounds as pets  (Read 1892 times)

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
  • Rarely short of an opinion but I mean well
    • Trelay Cohousing Community
Trailhounds as pets
« on: March 24, 2011, 01:17:30 am »
I have a friend with a pet collie that she takes cross country running (CaniX)  He is now aging and she is thinking about his successor.  Someone has recently turned up at CaniX with a couple of rescue trailhounds which seem to do well in the sport (despite there being no aniseed & parafin trail to follow!)

Has anyone any experience of trailhounds as pets?  There's a great website which we have looked at (trailhoundwelfare.org.uk), but I wondered if anyone on here had any knowledge?
Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

Sylvia

• Joined Aug 2009
Re: Trailhounds as pets
« Reply #1 on: March 24, 2011, 08:49:39 am »
I would say that as long as they are working and the owner enjoys trailing they will be a joy. Dogs bred for a job should be allowed to do this job or something pretty near. There is no sadder sight than a Border Collie being walked slowly on a short lead or a Beagle wearing a Halti so that he can't get his head down to sniff.If only ALL folk thought about what is best for the dog before going ga-ga over a pup the world would be a better place, for dogs at least!

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS