Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Two huts full ....  (Read 1587 times)

Roxy

• Joined May 2009
  • Peak District
    • festivalcarriages.co.uk
Two huts full ....
« on: March 23, 2011, 11:57:28 pm »
one of broody bantams - total is 5 and rising, and the other hut I have got full of cockerels.  The broodies I can sit, but the occupants of the other hut, well .....I waited until it was dark last night and went round the hen houses lifting cockerels - made a din, but I managed it.  Have 7 of various sizes and breeds in there, which leaves me with two large cockerels, two Pekins, and two bantams.  Still got to catch a couple of white silkie cockerels, and keep one of those ..........

Don't ask what I am going to do with the hut full,cos I do not know!!  More than likely a trip to the market.

Sylvia

• Joined Aug 2009
Re: Two huts full ....
« Reply #1 on: March 24, 2011, 08:22:43 am »
Is that the broodies or the cockerels? One I would sit on eggs and the other I would put in the freezer.

Roxy

• Joined May 2009
  • Peak District
    • festivalcarriages.co.uk
Re: Two huts full ....
« Reply #2 on: March 24, 2011, 10:00:54 am »
Its definitely the cockerels!!  I have no objection to eating them, no problem plucking and dressing them.  OH is not a big meat eater, and would certainly not eat one of our chickens.  The cats and I enjoy our free range poultry - very tasty!!  Therefore, I think it would be a bit much to expect me to eat them all by myself .......I did like chicken, but .......and most are bantams.

Its a shame, as there are some nice coloured one among them.

I lost a lot of chicks to a hawk last summer, and it seems it left me the cockerels.  How kind was that?!!!

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS