Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Eeek.....whats that noise?  (Read 2780 times)

Roxy

• Joined May 2009
  • Peak District
    • festivalcarriages.co.uk
Eeek.....whats that noise?
« on: March 23, 2011, 11:46:52 pm »
Sitting here on my own in the caravan (well, no, not on my own, Charlie the cat is asleep on the bed, and Finlay the kid is asleep in his carrier).  Waiting to give Finlay his last bottle, so on here to keep awake!  Just heard a strange noise outside, thought it must be the alarm on the 4x4.  Opened the caravan door, and peered into the darkness.......it was a large owl overhead, making a screeching sound!!

I came in quick before it swooped on me ;D

Fleecewife

• Joined May 2010
  • South Lanarkshire
    • ScotHebs
Re: Eeek.....whats that noise?
« Reply #1 on: March 24, 2011, 12:32:57 am »
Hi Roxy  :wave:.  Owls make some pretty scary noises sometimes and vixens can scare the living daylights out of you  :o ;D.  You need one of those giant powerful torches to sweep around so you know what's out there. Sleep tight  :)
"Let's not talk about what we can do, but do what we can"

There is NO planet B - what are YOU doing to save our home?

Do something today that your future self will thank you for - plant a tree

Love your soil - it's the lifeblood of your land.

benkt

• Joined Apr 2010
  • Cambridgeshire
    • Hempsals Community Farm
« Reply #2 on: March 24, 2011, 06:59:59 am »
At our old place I lept out of bed one night to run out and see what was noisly killing our pigs, only to find a particularly loud owl sitting on a fence post. They do have a weird and wonderful collection of blood curdling screeches to choose from!

Cinderhills

• Joined Jul 2010
  • North Yorkshire
« Reply #3 on: March 24, 2011, 07:36:49 am »
How scary!  One middle of the night I heard a loud scream and thought that something was murdering my sheep so ran out in the middle of the night to see.  It was nothing but someone said later that it could have been a fox.  I didn't even think about my safety.  First priority was the animals.  Adrenalin just gets you going.

Sylvia

• Joined Aug 2009
« Reply #4 on: March 24, 2011, 07:50:48 am »
It's the Barn Owl that makes the screeching noises. You can hear vixens screaming for a mate in winter, it's an unmistakable call. The worst sound at night though is the screming of a hare, caught by a fox. They sound just like a terrified woman screaming! :o

Hilarysmum

• Joined Oct 2007
« Reply #5 on: March 24, 2011, 08:33:59 am »
The worst sound at night though is the screming of a hare, caught by a fox. They sound just like a terrified woman screaming! :o

Oh yes, we heard that sound on the railway line behind our house, my brother a policeman was staying, he and OH went out and searched whilst I called 999.  Nothing was ever found, so assume it was a hare being caught by a fox, but it was horrifying believing that a poor woman was in terror.

knightquest

• Joined May 2010
  • Birmingham
    • Knight Pet Supplies
« Reply #6 on: March 24, 2011, 08:45:32 pm »
I've never heard a hare before but I did wake with a start the other night too.

I was fast asleep and had been for an hour. My wife tells me that there was a sudden loud noise made by a fox. As soon as I heard this noise (I was fast asleep remember) I got straight up and said that I hadn't locked the chooks up and went straight out to do it.

Amazingly, I HAD forgotten to lock them up and I proceeded to lock them up. I must have been dreaming about them or they play a bigger part in my subconscious than I realised..........spooky  :o

Ian
Ian (me), Diane (my wife) and 4 dogs. Ollie (Lab mix) , Quest (Malamute), Gazer and Boris (Leonbergers)

robert waddell

« Reply #7 on: March 24, 2011, 08:48:22 pm »
aye dreaming about a burd  :o :o :wave:

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS