Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Limp piglet  (Read 8685 times)

nelson

• Joined Jan 2011
    • lelogisfrance
Limp piglet
« on: March 23, 2011, 09:08:15 pm »
Hi
Our berkshire piglets (11) are 10 days old today. By chance we were showing some folk the piglets and mum was about to feed them. Piglets responded to mums call and gradually left the creep until there were two remaining. One got up and nudged the other who didn't respond. We were looking from the stable door and decided to intervene. I gently poked the piglet but it didn't move so I picked it up and it was warm, eyes open but limp looking dead without obvious injury. I gave it to my husband and he put his finger in its mouth and it gasped and came back to normality and went on to feed with the others. Was it in a deep sleep? I have never come across this before. Scary moment  - has anyone encountered this before. Were we just lucky to be there? Anyway piglet perfect tonight.

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • ABERDON GUNDOGS for work and show
    • Facebook
Re: Limp piglet
« Reply #1 on: March 23, 2011, 10:35:35 pm »
I'm only guessing but would it's heart be normal?  Could be an extra slow heart beat and might have got cold and died if you hadn't found it.  I'd keep an eye on it if you can identify it in some way.
Always have been, always will be, a WYSIWYG - black is black, white is white - no grey in my life! But I'm mellowing in my old age

nelson

• Joined Jan 2011
    • lelogisfrance
« Reply #2 on: March 24, 2011, 04:02:23 pm »
Hi thanks for that - well exactly the same thing happened today same time. The piglet was lying with the rest of them - she looked like she was breathing - well I picked her up and she had her eyes open but was completely limp - she was quicker to respond this time - maybe I am being over anxious. She is the smallest. As you suggested all we can do is keep an eye on her. Other than that she is a lively piglet when not playing dead..

Hilarysmum

• Joined Oct 2007
« Reply #3 on: March 24, 2011, 04:18:37 pm »
I've never heard of this before. 

nelson

• Joined Jan 2011
    • lelogisfrance
« Reply #4 on: March 24, 2011, 07:07:35 pm »
New to us too  we have had many litters - we have had a few runts where there is difficulty getting to mum and we have had to give them a nudge but this is different. Will get the vet to take a look at her. She is a pretty little piglet.

robert waddell

« Reply #5 on: March 24, 2011, 07:34:57 pm »
pigs have a habit of going into a trance or coma that is what they do when you tummy rub them even some succumb to this scratching there head
are they lying in a pile or cuddled together
are they under a heat lamp :wave:

nelson

• Joined Jan 2011
    • lelogisfrance
« Reply #6 on: March 24, 2011, 08:20:12 pm »
Hi Lillian - A trance is what it looks like! and she is in a pile alternating between heat lamp and pile in the corner.  the plan is to get them all into the spring sunshine tomorrow, regardless.

Hilarysmum

• Joined Oct 2007
« Reply #7 on: March 25, 2011, 07:46:09 am »
P h o  t  o  s                      please     

nelson

• Joined Jan 2011
    • lelogisfrance
« Reply #8 on: March 27, 2011, 01:30:47 pm »
here they are now out in the sunshine and all thriving.

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • ABERDON GUNDOGS for work and show
    • Facebook
« Reply #9 on: March 27, 2011, 01:40:47 pm »
Beautiful eyelashes!  ;)
Always have been, always will be, a WYSIWYG - black is black, white is white - no grey in my life! But I'm mellowing in my old age

Hilarysmum

• Joined Oct 2007
« Reply #10 on: March 27, 2011, 02:16:36 pm »
They really do have the ooooo factor in spades 

nelson

• Joined Jan 2011
    • lelogisfrance
« Reply #11 on: May 23, 2011, 09:35:17 pm »
Well this is the limp piglet that caused us worry - pictured here with me today - delivered to her new home in the Dordogne. I am going to miss her :'(she went with 3 of her siblings).

Tudful Tamworths

• Joined Aug 2009
    • Liz's website
« Reply #12 on: May 23, 2011, 10:19:36 pm »
Thanks for posting this. Good to hear the end of the story!
www.lizshankland.com www.biggingerpigs.com
Author of the Haynes Pig Manual, Haynes Smallholding Manual, and the Haynes Sheep Manual. Three times winner of the Tamworth Champion of Champions. Teaching smallholding courses at Kate Humble's farm: www.humblebynature.com

lill

• Joined May 2011
« Reply #13 on: May 24, 2011, 11:54:56 am »
Hi nelson,
you have lovely piglets, can I ask, are they pedigree. If they are pedigree they should be notched, personally I do not agree with this and it is barbaric, but we have to stick to the rules until the BPA can change the system. :wave:

nelson

• Joined Jan 2011
    • lelogisfrance
« Reply #14 on: May 24, 2011, 01:28:21 pm »
Hi lill  :wave:

Thank you.  I do have a pedigree Berkshire herd. This litter was sired by my purebred berkshire boar "Lucky" - Dam is pedigree. So not notched and unfortunately not able to birth notify.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS