Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: The postman and a dead chicken  (Read 5759 times)

Cinderhills

• Joined Jul 2010
  • North Yorkshire
The postman and a dead chicken
« on: March 23, 2011, 05:45:45 pm »
I have a sort of dilemma.  Today the postman ran over and killed one of my columbines.  I know it was him because nobody else drove up the drive this afternoon (I was here all day) and the way the body was, without going into detail, definitely was run over and not a predator.  I am so gutted about it.  :'(

The dilemma is do I tell the postman, who does travel at speed, so he will be more careful?  Or not tell him because he will be mortified and really wouldn't have meant any harm and will feel so bad?

HappyHippy

Re: The postman and a dead chicken
« Reply #1 on: March 23, 2011, 06:08:41 pm »
You have to tell him  :o
If he didn't drive so fast and took a little more care it wouldn't have happened - it could easily have been a cat, dog or worse so I think you do need to make him aware of it, no need to be nasty or angry just state facts plain & simple. I know he's only doing his job and will be pushed against the clock/deadlines/targets etc but life (however small) is always worth more than cash.
Karen x

Nina

• Joined Sep 2010
  • North/Mid wales
« Reply #2 on: March 23, 2011, 06:32:46 pm »
Yes tell him... Postie round here killed a sheep last year  :o 

Sandy

« Reply #3 on: March 23, 2011, 06:35:16 pm »
I agree, the postman needs to know and slow down, I know they have tight deadlines and so its hardly fair on them and keeping thier jobs but they could just as easily run over other things. We were told that the postman who delivers to houses in the forest where we walk, apparently he drives very fast up and down the drive as we have been warned, that is a place for dog walkers, children and families!!!

Cinderhills

• Joined Jul 2010
  • North Yorkshire
« Reply #4 on: March 23, 2011, 07:39:33 pm »
Thanks for your replies.  I will tell him.  Let's hope it makes a difference.

CameronS

• Joined Aug 2009
  • North East Fife
« Reply #5 on: March 23, 2011, 08:17:47 pm »
Yup get him told, (our post man is a nasty evil little man who deliberatly drives faster if one of my hens is on the road!) and if he fails to slow down go to his boss with a formal written letter. Shake his feather a little bit

Rosemary

• Joined Oct 2007
  • Barry, Angus, Scotland
    • The Accidental Smallholder
« Reply #6 on: March 23, 2011, 08:19:45 pm »
Give him the hen  ;D

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • ABERDON GUNDOGS for work and show
    • Facebook
« Reply #7 on: March 23, 2011, 08:23:23 pm »
Yes, show him the hen, give him some eggs, and say " these eggs are from that sweet little hen that you killed yesterday"  ;) ;D  (he won't know whether they were or not but he will feel very guilty! ;D ;D)
Always have been, always will be, a WYSIWYG - black is black, white is white - no grey in my life! But I'm mellowing in my old age

Beewyched

• Joined Feb 2011
  • South Wales
    • tunkeyherd.co.uk
« Reply #8 on: March 23, 2011, 09:43:25 pm »
Yep, good one Annie  ;) that should get the message across without being confrontational  ;D

He has to be told though - the rural posties around here do an amazing job & deliver the mail when the only other movement we see is tractors & the odd 4X4, but they do need to remember the farm tracks are not race tracks & who knows ...
Tunkey Herd - registered Kune Kune & rare breed poultry - www.tunkeyherdkunekune.com

Roxy

• Joined May 2009
  • Peak District
    • festivalcarriages.co.uk
« Reply #9 on: March 23, 2011, 11:50:04 pm »
Yes, tell him.  It was a hen this time, but it could easily have been a child.  He needs to slow down.

Beewyched

• Joined Feb 2011
  • South Wales
    • tunkeyherd.co.uk
« Reply #10 on: March 24, 2011, 07:29:00 am »
Let us know how it goes.
Tunkey Herd - registered Kune Kune & rare breed poultry - www.tunkeyherdkunekune.com

Cinderhills

• Joined Jul 2010
  • North Yorkshire
« Reply #11 on: March 24, 2011, 07:30:57 am »
Will do.  I hope to catch him today.

Sylvia

• Joined Aug 2009
« Reply #12 on: March 24, 2011, 08:11:29 am »
I thought at first this was the title of an Agatha Christie novel! Seriously though, some people have scant regard for animals and birds in their way. Tell Postie that this hen was your beloved pet then put up a 5 m.p.h. sign at the bottom of your drive. As said, it may not be a hen in the way next time and will he have time to brake?!! >:( >:(

Beewyched

• Joined Feb 2011
  • South Wales
    • tunkeyherd.co.uk
« Reply #13 on: March 24, 2011, 08:16:54 am »
Thinking of putting a speed/warning sign outside on the road myself - some peops think that just coz it's a rural road with properties half a mile or so apart it's ok to use it like Le Mans  >:(  Lucky our postie is one of the few who DOES slow down.  I'm dreading the day one of our free-rangers gets it  :'(

Cinderhills

• Joined Jul 2010
  • North Yorkshire
« Reply #14 on: March 24, 2011, 07:44:21 pm »
Well, I saw the postie today.  I was waiting in the drive and he approached me a lot slower than usual and had a sorry look on his face.  I asked if he delivered the mail yesterday and he replied, "Did I run over your chicken?"  I said yes and I was going to tell him so.  He said, "I came down the drive and saw two chickens either side.  I'm always careful as I drive near a lot of farms. When I turned around in the car I thought was that dead chicken there before?  I didn't hear a noise so didn't think it was me. I am really so sorry and feel bad."

I said accidents happen but to please drive slowly in future. The end.

P.S. I didn't tell him that I ran over my guinea fowl last year!

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS