Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Iodine  (Read 4722 times)

Elissian

• Joined Oct 2009
  • Wiltshire
Iodine
« on: March 23, 2011, 01:01:41 pm »
I bought a new bottle of iodine to refill my spray gun but got it from a different shop. My original bottle says 10% iodene but the new one is 2.5% sound very weak to me. Can I use this on umbilicals or should i take it back and get something stronger. also someone recommended bactokil to me does anyone have a preference when spraying umbilicals?

Rosemary

• Joined Oct 2007
  • Barry, Angus, Scotland
    • The Accidental Smallholder
Re: Iodine
« Reply #1 on: March 23, 2011, 01:13:02 pm »
I've got 2.5% in a spray but I think I shoudl have 10%. I've also been told to dip not spray as it's more effective.

Freddiesfarm

• Joined Jan 2010
« Reply #2 on: March 23, 2011, 01:20:03 pm »
10% is best for navels etc

ellisr

• Joined Sep 2009
  • Wales
« Reply #3 on: March 23, 2011, 01:21:52 pm »
I use 10% and I dip as that is what grandad taught me

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
  • Rarely short of an opinion but I mean well
    • Trelay Cohousing Community
« Reply #4 on: March 23, 2011, 01:46:38 pm »
Ours is 10% and that's what the vet supplies for lambing too.  It does sting the poor wee mites, though!  I have seen farmers dilute a strong iodine to around 2.5% but since I have found the 10% does the job I have been loathe to change.

I prefer to spray, BH dips.  Either way the important thing is to cover the whole cord, from belly button to the torn end, to stop infection getting in.
Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

« Reply #5 on: March 23, 2011, 07:23:59 pm »
Hi,

The 2.5% is a general antiseptic for cuts, wounds etc.

The 10% is just more concentrated and more suited to Umbilicals as is the 5% spray

There is also available an aerosol spray specifically made for umbilicals, called, not surprisingly "Umbilical Spray"

Thanks
« Last Edit: March 30, 2011, 05:32:11 pm by Dan »
www.suppliesforsmallholders.co.uk - Safe Secure shopping for all your livestock equipment and supplies.
Also www.suppliesforfarmers.co.uk for more larger farm related items

TheCaptain

• Joined May 2010
« Reply #6 on: March 23, 2011, 09:05:50 pm »
I use 10% iodine spray from mole valley but don't spray, use an old Oasis bottle for dipping the cord into and turning the lamb up a little to ensure it's all covered. Oasis bottle recommended by the big sheep farmers round my way!

Elissian

• Joined Oct 2009
  • Wiltshire
« Reply #7 on: March 23, 2011, 10:09:11 pm »
Thanks for all the replies, i shall go back to mole valley and get more of my original 10% spray. I do thoroughly soak the full length of the unbilical when i spray and so far i've not had any problems. I'm a bit cac handed and i'm sure i'd get it everywhere if i dipped!

Fleecewife

• Joined May 2010
  • South Lanarkshire
    • ScotHebs
« Reply #8 on: March 23, 2011, 11:45:31 pm »
But that's the shepherd's badge of honour - fingers looking horribly nicotine stained  ;D ;D

We use 10% in a mint sauce jar  :o it does make a mess but you can be sure it has got absolutely everywhere - lamb, clothes, fingers - lovely stuff, great smell, saves lives  :)
"Let's not talk about what we can do, but do what we can"

There is NO planet B - what are YOU doing to save our home?

Do something today that your future self will thank you for - plant a tree

Love your soil - it's the lifeblood of your land.

VSS

• Joined Jan 2009
  • Pen Llyn
    • Viable Self Sufficiency.co.uk
« Reply #9 on: March 24, 2011, 12:15:28 pm »
someone recommended bactokil to me does anyone have a preference when spraying umbilicals?

We use bactokill - it is excellent. It is not cheap, but I think it is better than iodine and much tidier. Also it doesn't smell as much which can be quite a consideration if you have ewea that might be a bit suspicious of thier lambs. It also has a multitude of other uses.
The SHEEP Book for Smallholders
Available from the Good Life Press

www.viableselfsufficiency.co.uk

VSS

• Joined Jan 2009
  • Pen Llyn
    • Viable Self Sufficiency.co.uk
« Reply #10 on: March 24, 2011, 12:16:39 pm »
But that's the shepherd's badge of honour - fingers looking horribly nicotine stained  ;D ;D

No, the secret code for shepherd is the ring of purple around the thumbnail.
The SHEEP Book for Smallholders
Available from the Good Life Press

www.viableselfsufficiency.co.uk

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS