Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: keeping a ram lamb  (Read 4917 times)

Madcow

• Joined Jan 2011
  • France
keeping a ram lamb
« on: March 23, 2011, 08:23:12 am »
good sunny morning everyone,
think I know the answer already but, if I brought a ewe with her ewe lamb from a farmer and now years later I want to keep the ram lamb off that same ewe and breed with the 1st ewe lamb will it be ok ? think not as they are half brother and sister, different dads but same mum !
wish it would be ok as he's a fine chap, would be ok for mating this year or still to young, my old ram may not be up to it this year  ;)

shep53

• Joined Jan 2011
  • Dumfries & Galloway
Re: keeping a ram lamb
« Reply #1 on: March 23, 2011, 12:41:35 pm »
iIS the lambs mother also to be bred again if yes then either old ram to mother and daughter ,ram lamb to rest for one cycle then old ram in or sell both rams and buy new

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
  • Rarely short of an opinion but I mean well
    • Trelay Cohousing Community
« Reply #2 on: March 23, 2011, 12:59:50 pm »
wish it would be ok as he's a fine chap, would be ok for mating this year or still to young, my old ram may not be up to it this year  ;)

A lot of breeders let the ram lambs have a few ewes the first year, then they can see what the progeny are like and can sell him as 'proven' as a shearling.  We bought a tup lamb last year and worked him on 35 ewes.  They are lambing now and the lambs are just great.

And the year before we had an unexpected late crop of lambs and couldn't work out how the heck they'd got in lamb.  They were hoggs, never had a tup with them, and the 10 that lambed did it in the space of 3 days!  We worked it back and they'd have been tupped in the very cold (sub -15C) snap that we'd had.  Turned out there wes a 'teaser' (badly castrated male) in the group and his undescended testicle worked when the outside temperatures got that low!  A neighbour had some lambs from an intentional teaser, too, at the same time.  So now in our coldest winter we have to make sure we keep teasers apart - and have made a better job of sexing our keeping ewe lambs!!!

So yes, I would think your lamb could work this year - so long as you don't want him to do hundreds!

Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

princesspiggy

« Reply #3 on: March 23, 2011, 02:00:06 pm »
i thought brother-sister was worse than father-daughter?

Madcow

• Joined Jan 2011
  • France
« Reply #4 on: March 23, 2011, 03:15:44 pm »
the new ram lamb would only be expected to service 3 ewes, and no we would'nt be keeping his mother, shes 11 this year so he would be her legacy  :(. We are only breeding to eat, either for ourselves or close friends over here, so not wanting to show or even breed on from the new lambs next year, so do you think it would be ok ? :-\

Fleecewife

• Joined May 2010
  • South Lanarkshire
    • ScotHebs
« Reply #5 on: March 23, 2011, 04:00:11 pm »
In that situation I would say it would be fine.  :sheep:
"Let's not talk about what we can do, but do what we can"

There is NO planet B - what are YOU doing to save our home?

Do something today that your future self will thank you for - plant a tree

Love your soil - it's the lifeblood of your land.

shep53

• Joined Jan 2011
  • Dumfries & Galloway
« Reply #6 on: March 23, 2011, 07:49:39 pm »
NO problem  but as stated you may or may not get the odd deformity

Anke

• Joined Dec 2009
  • St Boswells, Scottish Borders
« Reply #7 on: March 23, 2011, 09:01:06 pm »
If you look at pedigrees of registered sheep it is quite surprising how often fairly closely related animals are bred with each other - its the way breeds were developed. You could get some super offspring (even for showing), and would have to be strict in your culling/eating policy.

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
  • Rarely short of an opinion but I mean well
    • Trelay Cohousing Community
« Reply #8 on: March 23, 2011, 10:24:33 pm »
I know no specifics, but don't goat people 'line breed' and isn't that using the same male line over and over ?

(I love this place, there'll be some goat people along soon to put me right!)
Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS