Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: My poor, poor, poor Della.... R.I.P :o(  (Read 19427 times)

Roxy

• Joined May 2009
  • Peak District
    • festivalcarriages.co.uk
Re: My poor, poor, poor Della....
« Reply #15 on: March 23, 2011, 06:57:04 am »
So sorry - like you say, these things happen, and without us knowing why sometimes.  Fingers crossed for her.

Blinkers

• Joined Jan 2008
  • Carmarthenshire
  • Carmarthenshire/Pembrokeshire border
    • Glyn Elwyn - Faithmead Herd
    • Facebook
Re: My poor, poor, poor Della.... Day 2
« Reply #16 on: March 23, 2011, 12:20:38 pm »
Thanks again guys, really appreciate all your good wishes.     She's made it through the night and kept the drip in so the bag is nearly empty.  She's even eated 3 tomatoes and drunk a little water.......however, one half of her udder is very dark in colour and still milking out blood - so think at best she'll likely lose this side, but if she survives then that's all I want right now.     Will keep you posted.
Did you ever stop to think, and forget to start again !!
www.glynelwyn.co.uk

wytsend

• Joined Oct 2010
  • Okehampton
« Reply #17 on: March 23, 2011, 12:34:56 pm »
The best thing you can do is tempt her with absolutely anything.  Warm water with glucose in it will keep up energy.
Brown bread is popular with most goats, as are digestive biscuits.  It is vital to keep the digestive tract working.  It is possible that yoghurt would be acceptable, which will stimulate the rumen.

The very best of luck.

Blinkers

• Joined Jan 2008
  • Carmarthenshire
    • Facebook
« Reply #18 on: March 23, 2011, 01:51:02 pm »
Many thanks wytsend.  She's eaten a whole banana now and drunk some more water. Will try her with a bit of soaked sugar beet too to see if that takes her fancy.   Have now removed the drip as had completely emptied out, so she is free to be able to get up if she feels like it, but am keeping her kids penned next to her as don't want them trying to suckle the nasty half of her udder.   I think we're almost certainly over the 50/50 stage now  :)..... and I'm just beginning to breathe again  ::)     More updates later

thanks again all for your support  :goat: :bouquet:
www.glynelwyn.co.uk

Sandy

« Reply #19 on: March 23, 2011, 01:57:07 pm »
Sounds like she is improving, I know nothing about goats but as I read the thread I was also holding my breath (sort of) and breathed a sign of releif on the last post, hope she continues, if it were not for your farming skills etc, she would have most likely died, just shows your dedication, sure you will let us all know how she is doing!!

Brucklay

• Joined Apr 2010
  • Perthshire
    • Brucklay Pygmy Goats
    • Facebook
« Reply #20 on: March 23, 2011, 02:20:54 pm »
Really pleased to read Della could be turning a corner ... great news, still keeping my fingers crossed.
Pygmy Goats, Shetland Sheep, Zip & Indie the Border Collies, BeeBee the cat and a wreak of a building to renovate!!

Blinkers

• Joined Jan 2008
  • Carmarthenshire
    • Facebook
« Reply #21 on: March 23, 2011, 06:57:17 pm »
Yes, I do feel we have turned that corner and she is eating bananas quite well.   I tried to get her to stand up earlier as I though she's been sitting in the same position for the last 36 hrs.....and although I got her back end up and tried to hold her, she couldn't manage the front end and then collapsed and was panting with exhaustion.    She recovered fairly quickly and had another banana and a drink but I'm worried she's not gonna be able to stand!!!    What would you guys do ???  Any advice most welcome.

Thanks gang x
www.glynelwyn.co.uk

Helencus

• Joined Feb 2010
  • NW Leicestershire
« Reply #22 on: March 23, 2011, 06:58:25 pm »
That sounds more promising. Really pleased for you keep us posted  :goat:  ;D

little blue

• Joined Jun 2009
  • Derbyshire
Re: My poor, poor, poor Della.... Day 2 updates
« Reply #23 on: March 23, 2011, 07:38:18 pm »
bottle feed her glucose solution, or electrolyte solution?
what are you feeding the kids?  if milk replacement, you could try Della with that (as long as she doesn't get a taste for it!)

when our goat Margo was poorly, we gave her cream crackers - the bicarb in them helps keep their digestive system going, or something?!  they were much appreciated... as long as the goat is getting water too.

so glad she is on the mend, keeping fingers crossed.

its good to keep her moving, even though she will struggle. 
sounds like you're doing a great job looking after them all  :)
Little Blue

Roxy

• Joined May 2009
  • Peak District
« Reply #24 on: March 23, 2011, 10:25:35 pm »
I agree with Little Blue - we have had really sick goats, down on the floor, no interest in eating, but cream crackers were eaten!!  I also warm some water, add couple of teaspoons of bicarb to it, had sick goats drink that, and it does help their digestion.  A little molasses or treacle  on top of the feed is another tempter, oh and bananas and digestive biscuits.  Believe me, I have had some desperate times over the years, so have tried all sorts to get them to eat.
Bit early for leaves, but the bark on willow branches is good too.  Got pain relief in it.

Blinkers

• Joined Jan 2008
  • Carmarthenshire
    • Facebook
« Reply #25 on: March 23, 2011, 10:45:18 pm »
Thanks guys - she's devouring bananas and tomatoes now, but can't temp her to stand with them yet.   Will try the bicarb in water etc and the willow is just beginning to turn green and they go nuts for that in the Spring, so will try tempting her with a few branches tomorrow even though there are no leaves, but the bark may be enough to get her to move. Am just worried that other things will start breaking down if she doesn't get up soon  :goat:     

The kids are on Lamlac and are doing absolutely fine.   I might try Della with a small amount tomorrow like you suggest - I'm sure she'll like that.  The vet is due back tomorrow to deal with 3 lambs that have entropion ( weird that I've had 4 lambs with it this year and even more bizarre is that all are from different Rams !!!!) and so I'm she might help me try lifting Della if she thinks she's ready to move. 

Will keep you updated tomorrow.   Off for a couple of hours sleep now  ::)   Night all. x
www.glynelwyn.co.uk

ballingall

• Joined Sep 2008
  • Avonbridge, Falkirk
« Reply #26 on: March 23, 2011, 11:02:43 pm »
Oh how awful for poor Della and you too. Well done for keeping her going, because when that strikes, it strikes so hard you can nearly see the udder changing colour as you watch.

We had it once, and lost the goat in the first 12 hours, so she is past that stage thank goodness. Need to get her eating, and yes, you will need to try and get her up soon. Best to have someone else there to help, one at front and one at back. It may even be necessary to sling her just to help support her if she really struggles. See what the vet advises.

Try some raspberry canes if you have any. Romily was quite sick for a couple of days after kidding (4 kids just too hard for a swiss goat), and rasp cane trimmings, blackcurrant bush trimmings were the only few starting to show green things we found for her. Flowering current is good if you have any of those in the garden, they normally come out early and are fine for goats to eat.

Fingers crossed for her.

Beth

Roxy

• Joined May 2009
  • Peak District
« Reply #27 on: March 23, 2011, 11:06:44 pm »
Its a funny time of year, as fruit bushes, and trees are not out yet - at least not here - we are always a bit behind everywhere else!!  Managed to find some elderflower trees in leaf today.  My goats were so grateful for the armful I picked!!

wytsend

• Joined Oct 2010
  • Okehampton
« Reply #28 on: March 24, 2011, 06:47:07 am »
Massage her front legs by straightening one out and rubbing the tendon areas.  This is the problem ,after a goat or any animal come to that, has been down for a while, the tendons at the back of the leg start to contract .  This would make it difficult to stand up in the future.

Keep turning her from one side to the other so that each hind leg gets time underneath.  In fact keep moving her a little at a time,  will encourage her to get up.

Don't attempt to get her up on your own... there must be 2 people to support even if it is only the hind end up. Damage can be done by the goat suddenly collapsing back onto the floor.  These are things that don't occur to you at the time....... you wouldn't let a human patient suddenly collapse onto the floor having just got them to their feet !!!!!!!!

She has had a bad trauma....... have you given anything to combat the trauma i.e Heptavac P.  You can give this ( even tho' her vaccinations may be up to date) as a preventative to pasteurella(pneumonia).  The rate is double dose given once.     I lost a male several years because the Vet who attended the emergency on a Saturday midnight had never heard of doing it.  She was reprimanded by her boss later.

Blinkers

• Joined Jan 2008
  • Carmarthenshire
    • Facebook
Re: My poor, poor, poor Della.... Day 3 !
« Reply #29 on: March 24, 2011, 10:54:50 am »
Well the willow is currently non existent, but will certainly go and raid the fruit bushes to see if that'll tempt her.   She's eaten a whole banana, a Tomatoe and 2 slices of bread this morning and was actively looking for it.   However, she won't get up.    Wytsend - thanks for that info about the tendons.   We've managed to stand her between us this morning and you're right, its clearly the front legs that won't straighten out.  Will go and massage her legs like you say.  I did wonder about a sling, but not sure if the rafters in the goat shed would take the weight.   No haven't given her a Heptavac.  Will do that too.   

Vet due this afternoon - will report back again after that.    Now off to cut down the raspberries  :)

Once again, thanks all - truly appreciate all the feedback.   :wave:
www.glynelwyn.co.uk

Advertisement

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS