Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: 1st sheep advice  (Read 7255 times)

peteinwilts

• Joined Feb 2011
1st sheep advice
« on: March 22, 2011, 02:22:24 pm »
Hi Guys

I am thinking about keeping a few sheep.

Can anyone suggest what breed of sheep to keep?

Other than a handful of saddleback pigs kept seperately, we only use the land for horses.

We mow once or twice a year, but still have a few difficult areas which are hard to mow such as jump paddocks, and other horsey areas. I presume horses and sheep can happily live together?

Can anyone recommend a breed of sheep that is good for a first timer? The objective is low maintenance, to keep areas trim, but also for eating, so a breed that tastes good please!

Any tips would be great!
Thanks
Pete

Re: 1st sheep advice
« Reply #1 on: March 22, 2011, 03:56:16 pm »
My advice - and some will loudly disagree...

Go for a commercial breed (Texel or suffolk etc) - Rare breed are rare for a reason....

Easier to shear than some of the downs type and a good meat return

Thanks
www.suppliesforsmallholders.co.uk - Safe Secure shopping for all your livestock equipment and supplies.
Also www.suppliesforfarmers.co.uk for more larger farm related items

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
  • Rarely short of an opinion but I mean well
    • Trelay Cohousing Community
« Reply #2 on: March 22, 2011, 05:17:33 pm »
Well I can agree with a lot of what others have said.  Texels are easy in some ways but often do have poor feet, and can be hefty to manage (I don't know how big and strong you are!)  Traditional breeds may be lower maintenance, are often smaller so easier to handle / turn over for the novice.  But being more 'primitive', less commercial, they can be rather flighty, particularly the hill / wild breeds - so less easy to handle for a novice. 

What's available locally is of course key.

You are really lucky, Pete - you are in Wiltshire and the Wiltshire Horn is a traditional breed, very easy care, self-shearing, good mother and milky, very sound feet, good carcase.  It's such a cracking breed that it's one of the major inputs to the recently created 'Easy Care' breed of sheep.

Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

ellisr

• Joined Sep 2009
  • Wales
« Reply #3 on: March 22, 2011, 05:20:56 pm »
I remember the feeling of buying my own sheep. I was lucky that my friend kept rare breeds and I was able to interact and see how the differnet breeds were. I eventually settled for Ryelands and they are a very docile bunch here and very good mums after they have had there first lambing (my 2 first time mums had an unfortunate time of it this year). My sheep get on great with my horse and I was told he wasn't much good with sheep, but I have a photo on my phone of him lying next to last years ram lamb in the sun at the weekend very cute.
I have little trouble with the ryelands the odd fly strike when I tried to wait a couple more weeks before shearing and they have amazingly good feet with very few problems compared to a couple of commercial types I adopted. I like the short nature of them too it makes it easier when I do have to handle them as I'm not to tall myself and sometimes the bigger sheep are just too big for me to do feet alone.

peteinwilts

• Joined Feb 2011
« Reply #4 on: March 22, 2011, 05:38:07 pm »

I think I will look into the wiltshire horn... it sounds right, and they must be built for the climate (mild and soggy!)

thank you all for your help.... more questions likely soon!

Fleecewife

• Joined May 2010
  • South Lanarkshire
    • ScotHebs
« Reply #5 on: March 22, 2011, 06:42:36 pm »
Most people won't expect this from me - but I support the idea of Wiltshire Horn  ;D  It is your local breed and they are lovely sheep.  I don't know what they taste like but I'm sure being home reared they will be great  :yum:
As Rosemary said on another thread - do buy registered stock, and I will add - keep your best ewe lambs, register them and add them to your flock or sell them on to other breeders - that way you truly support the breed. :sheep:
"Let's not talk about what we can do, but do what we can"

There is NO planet B - what are YOU doing to save our home?

Do something today that your future self will thank you for - plant a tree

Love your soil - it's the lifeblood of your land.

waterhouse

« Reply #6 on: March 22, 2011, 10:57:19 pm »
We spent a year choosing a breed and looked at lots.  The Wiltshire Horn was obvious for a number of reasons and we thought hard about them.  We decided against, however, because they're pretty big - especially the rams - and armed with serious horns.  We saw the young farmers annual wrestling match and sheep show and decided that young we certainly weren't. 

One of the keen owners said she lambed them outdoors because they tended to demolish buildings....

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
  • Rarely short of an opinion but I mean well
    • Trelay Cohousing Community
« Reply #7 on: March 23, 2011, 10:27:46 am »
Well I can only tell you of my own rather limited experience of the Wiltshire Horn which was at the Rare Breeds Norwood Farm near Bath some years ago.  Yes they are horned but certainly the ewes I worked with were very biddable and easy to manage.  They were lambed indoors and didn't seem to mind being confined.

In terms of tups with horns I am not sure I think it makes much difference.  Any tup can give you a nasty bruise - or worse - if he decides to ram you.  I have been knocked over from behind by a (non-horned) Blue-faced Leicester (my own fault, never turn your back on a ram no matter how well you know him) and dead-legged (to the point of a trip to the hospital to check it wasn't broken) by a very well-horned Swaledale.  (Also my own fault and too stupid to be prepared to tell you the story here!)  The not-broken leg was very sore for several days but does not give me any problems any more, the back is still an issue when I try to put heavy loads (like BH's heavy 'small' hay bales) up a height.  Basically, treat tups with great respect and never assume they won't hurt you, horned or not!

Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

Nina

• Joined Sep 2010
  • North/Mid wales
« Reply #8 on: March 23, 2011, 06:40:43 pm »
Jeez - Our Wilts were a nightmare!!!  Wild and knew how to use their horns - And not nice to sit up and trim feet!!!

I'd recommend the Southdowns or Ryelands - And they're cute as hell to look at!!!!!  :P

TheCaptain

• Joined May 2010
« Reply #9 on: March 23, 2011, 09:17:36 pm »
If you're keeping a few to mow the lawn go with something you like the look of; agree with SFS if you want a better return go for something commercial. Disagree with why rare breeds are rare though- the UK as a nation has lost it's way over the last half century and my Portland will taste ten times better than any commercial breed, even though they're half the size. My lot are primitive, but friendly as hell, come to the bucket, don't much like my German Shepherd but she's clueless with sheep, only usually throw singles, good mothers; in short, I love 'em!

jaykay

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Cumbria/N Yorks border
« Reply #10 on: March 23, 2011, 09:59:02 pm »
I'd go for what is kept locally to start with. You'll be able to buy and sell themeasily , your sheep-farming neighbours will 'understand' them and give you good advice, you'll be able to borrow or swap tups.....

We did just this - and ended up with Rough Fells, which I just love.

We had Herdwicks as well to begin with, but no-one here has them (they're further over in the Lake District) and gradually we've moved out of them and just stuck with the Roughs. With the RF's there's a local breed association, which we've learned loads from and made friends at, the local mart knows a good RF when they see one and so on.

Elissian

• Joined Oct 2009
  • Wiltshire
« Reply #11 on: March 23, 2011, 10:47:40 pm »
I have wiltshire horns. I bought a flock of mostly older ewes. I would say they're skitish when young but after a couple of years of being moved about and handled they calm down but then i have nothing to compare them with. I must say i have never had much success driving them, they need to be led to new pasture any attemps to make them flock and they spread out in a line and separate off in 2 directions(i don't have a dog). This of course may be something to do with the positioniing of my gates as they dont like to be driven into a corner.
They are big sheep so you need to learn how to turn them correctly or you'll never get them over. The lack of shearing is very appealing unless you want to use the wool. I have never found their horns a problem, yes they sometimes catch you with them but mine have never used them against me. I've borrowed 2 different Rams and both have been very biddable but that's probably just luck.
I've lambed twice and had very few problems, we lamb in the field and then pen in the barn for 3 days before turning back out. this year we've decided to bring them into the barn for lambingi it will be interesting to see how they react to that.
we don't slaughter untill they are about 16 months old, after they've enjoyed the spring grass and they don't seem to put down too much fat.
I'm between salisbury and Southampton so if you want to come and have a look at them you're very welcome.
Sorry to waffle on, writing is not my strong point!

Sylvia

• Joined Aug 2009
« Reply #12 on: March 24, 2011, 08:41:21 am »
A lot depends on your age and ability. I kept Dartmoor Black-Faced until last year when I discovered I could no longer deal with their size. I now have Ouessants (pure pets and the size of a whippet---though the ram gave me a viscious belt earlier) and Shetlands which are just the right size for an elderly shepherd ;D
Much will, also, depend on whether you need to make a living from your sheep or if you are keeping them to feed yourselves and selling a bit to pay for their keep. :sheep:

rip

• Joined Mar 2011
« Reply #13 on: March 27, 2011, 11:41:45 am »
i have had many types of sheep but so far i am totally taken with the Ryelands, docile, calm, smart, dual purpose, hardy, very little foot problems and they don't constantly look to escape or run through fencing. mine are allowed to graze around the stable area they don't go under the plain wire and into the horses. when i need to pen or move them i just rattle the bucket easy!!!!!!! but sheep of any kind need basic health care requirements.
Ryelands are great! :sheep:

Sylvia

• Joined Aug 2009
« Reply #14 on: March 27, 2011, 12:41:24 pm »
Can I also say that I would not keep horses and young lambs in together. A startled horse could lash out at an inquisitive lamb with nasty results!

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS