Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: .  (Read 9946 times)

CornishFarmer

« on: March 21, 2011, 12:56:07 pm »
« Last Edit: November 24, 2011, 12:55:43 pm by Worzel Gummidge »

Re: Deadstock
« Reply #1 on: March 21, 2011, 01:23:54 pm »
Pay the Knackerman to dispose of it.

As it wont have been killed correctly (ie bled then hung) then I would imagine it wouldn't be very nice to eat!

Would also suggest that a butcher wouldn't touch it.

Also unless you are 100% sure what it died of (eg you ran it over in your tractor) then it may be diseased.

So all in all stump up a few quid and get it properly disposed of.
www.suppliesforsmallholders.co.uk - Safe Secure shopping for all your livestock equipment and supplies.
Also www.suppliesforfarmers.co.uk for more larger farm related items

Hermit

• Joined Feb 2010
« Reply #2 on: March 21, 2011, 02:02:21 pm »
I agree , dont eat it if it has not been killed for meat, even roadkill might have had internal punctures to rot rather than hang meat. You dont know what it has died from so get it disposed of properly.You are quite correct in asking though as we all must be prepared for the down side of raising our own food as well as the good sides.

shetlandpaul

• Joined Oct 2008
« Reply #3 on: March 21, 2011, 02:33:16 pm »
goodgrief don't eat it.
depending were you are depends what you do. we as a remoe area are still allowed to burry them. but in the majority of the uk its the nackerman. or you could cut it up for dog food.
but please don't eat it.

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • ABERDON GUNDOGS for work and show
    • Facebook
« Reply #4 on: March 21, 2011, 03:08:47 pm »
I feed rabbit catches from my cat, and any hens that die, to my dogs but there is no way I'd eat them myself.
Always have been, always will be, a WYSIWYG - black is black, white is white - no grey in my life! But I'm mellowing in my old age

bazzais

• Joined Jan 2010
    • Allt Y Coed Farm and Campsite
« Reply #5 on: March 21, 2011, 03:46:31 pm »
Phone the knackers :)

About £7 quid for a lamby and £21 for a growd-up round here.

I wouldnt eat a fallen stock although sometimes it does hark of waste.

Baz

Fleecewife

• Joined May 2010
  • South Lanarkshire
    • ScotHebs
« Reply #6 on: March 21, 2011, 04:30:17 pm »
The only time I might consider eating an already dead sheep would be if it had died in a fight and I had seen it drop.  It would need to be bled immediately and chopped up for home consumption only.  But even then I don't think I would do it. These days humans are predators not scavengers  ;D  But you've already decided not to eat it anyway  :)
We have found our knackermen (Grayshill) to be really nice guys, helpful and surprisingly concerned about deadstock.  On one occasion we had to have a couple of sheep put down and the chap who came was so nice and gentle about it. Once you've used their service it becomes easier next time.
"Let's not talk about what we can do, but do what we can"

There is NO planet B - what are YOU doing to save our home?

Do something today that your future self will thank you for - plant a tree

Love your soil - it's the lifeblood of your land.

plumseverywhere

• Joined Apr 2013
  • Worcestershire
    • Its Baaath Time
    • Facebook
« Reply #7 on: March 21, 2011, 05:15:51 pm »
Have a few knacker men numbers handy - it took 4 days to get our lovely old nanny goat collected due to busy knackermen. not ideal when you have children around the place (or in hot weahter)
something I've learned from experience! having said that, our regular is very lovely as I always cry when I phone them  ::)
Smallholding in Worcestershire, making goats milk soap for www.itsbaaathtime.com and mum to 4 girls,  goats, sheep, chickens, dog, cat and garden snails...

Elissian

• Joined Oct 2009
  • Wiltshire
« Reply #8 on: March 21, 2011, 05:28:09 pm »
We have a hunt nearby so we just take it to them. Even if there is nobody around to help we can just leave to animal next to the deadstock bins fill in a form tear off the receipt and leave the money, very convenient.

lachlanandmarcus

• Joined Aug 2010
  • Aberdeenshire
« Reply #9 on: March 21, 2011, 05:42:29 pm »
I joined the fallen livestock scheme (£10 ish to join, one off), the only time I had to call them for a dead sheep they took it the same day despite being based 2 hours away (they are the nearest!) and it cost less than £10. No hunts round our area, so thats not an option. Again I wouldnt eat it unless it was both an accidental death and I saw it happen - even then you still have the prob of how to dispose of the head as that has to go as special waste, which Im not set up for, so still prob would go for the FLScheme.

I didnt have to be in either, you pay in arrears by DD, so was able to leave it in loader bucket for them to take and they left the paperwork

jaykay

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Cumbria/N Yorks border
« Reply #10 on: March 21, 2011, 07:29:10 pm »
Don't eat it - why did it die, you have to ask.
We have a hunt nearby too so they take it. The local 'big' farmers use the knackerman and you can 'drop off' dead animals with a friendly farmer if they have a contract with one (often paid for in beer!)

Cinderhills

• Joined Jul 2010
  • North Yorkshire
« Reply #11 on: March 21, 2011, 07:30:04 pm »
Our knackerman is really helpful.  When our old goat George died the guy tried to get down our lane but it was treacherous with the snow and he said he would have to come back when it cleared,  I had no idea when that would be and his poor body was lying in the stable.  I covered him with a blanket (I know, I'm too soppy) but two days later when I was out he came and took George away.  I was so thankful.  The company I use is Robinson Mitchell, they are very good and understanding and do their best to come out asap.

Rosemary

• Joined Oct 2007
  • Barry, Angus, Scotland
    • The Accidental Smallholder
« Reply #12 on: March 21, 2011, 09:24:10 pm »
I joined the fallen livestock scheme (£10 ish to join, one off), the only time I had to call them for a dead sheep they took it the same day despite being based 2 hours away (they are the nearest!) and it cost less than £10. No hunts round our area, so thats not an option. Again I wouldnt eat it unless it was both an accidental death and I saw it happen - even then you still have the prob of how to dispose of the head as that has to go as special waste, which Im not set up for, so still prob would go for the FLScheme.

I didnt have to be in either, you pay in arrears by DD, so was able to leave it in loader bucket for them to take and they left the paperwork

Do you use Douglasbrae?

andywalt

• Joined Aug 2010
  • kent
  • observe react administer enjoy !!
    • photos
« Reply #13 on: March 21, 2011, 09:25:25 pm »
I think I need to join the fallen livestock scheme, i had an ewe with twin lamb desease had the vet, tried everything but she went down hill, so coldnt see her suffer so got the local knackerman to come and dispatch (RIP), £40 plus vat tho !!!!
Suffolk x romneys and Texel X with Romney Tup, Shetlands and Southdown Tup

daddymatty82

• Joined Aug 2010
  • swindon
« Reply #14 on: March 21, 2011, 09:38:26 pm »
I think I need to join the fallen livestock scheme, i had an ewe with twin lamb desease had the vet, tried everything but she went down hill, so coldnt see her suffer so got the local knackerman to come and dispatch (RIP), £40 plus vat tho !!!!
who is your local hunt?  we had a lamb few yrs ago with a broken leg  but shot it for a 10er  vet was charging £70 odd plus vat etc

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS