Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Chain harrows  (Read 5831 times)

bigchicken

• Joined Nov 2008
  • Fife Scotland
Chain harrows
« on: March 20, 2011, 05:14:18 pm »
Can anyone Dunfermline way give me a loan of a set of chain harrows. Small 4ft as I would like to pull them with a Shetland pony.
« Last Edit: March 21, 2011, 08:59:32 pm by bigchicken »
Shetland sheep, Castlemilk Moorits sheep, Hebridean sheep, Scots Grey Bantams, Scots Dumpy Bantams. Shetland Ducks.

bigchicken

• Joined Nov 2008
  • Fife Scotland
Re: Chain harrows
« Reply #1 on: March 24, 2011, 04:31:59 pm »
Had An Idea how to make a set of harrows. Ive herd of folks using old tyres drawn behind a four wheel drive vehicle so am going to addapt thatidea and have bolts protruding out of the bottom of the tyres. Necessity is the mother of invention. what do you think will it work. 
Shetland sheep, Castlemilk Moorits sheep, Hebridean sheep, Scots Grey Bantams, Scots Dumpy Bantams. Shetland Ducks.

hughesy

• Joined Feb 2010
  • Anglesey
« Reply #2 on: March 24, 2011, 05:44:08 pm »
Can't see why not. In the old days they used to use bundles of cut hedging etc. A properly made chain harrow is probably better but just depends on your expectations really.

bigchicken

• Joined Nov 2008
  • Fife Scotland
« Reply #3 on: March 24, 2011, 11:41:27 pm »
I,ll have a go and let you know how it goes, I just want some think that will give the groung a good racking over and at very litte cost, cant see the point in getting the reel thing that is going to be used maybe twice a year.

bloomer

• Joined Aug 2010
  • leslie, fife
  • i have chickens, sheep and opinions!!!
« Reply #4 on: March 25, 2011, 08:06:53 am »
wont tyres be a bit bouncy???

bigchicken

• Joined Nov 2008
  • Fife Scotland
« Reply #5 on: March 25, 2011, 03:11:22 pm »
I was thinking of fixing five tyres to together, in rows three two one and pulling them with the pony so wont be going fast and I think that five tyres will be more weight than a normal set of small chain harrows and the triangular shape should help keep it all on the ground. Its all theory so far.  
« Last Edit: March 25, 2011, 03:35:14 pm by bigchicken »

bazzais

• Joined Jan 2010
    • Allt Y Coed Farm and Campsite
« Reply #6 on: March 29, 2011, 02:44:57 am »
Sounds a great idea - my chain harrow is far too light (or my speed to fast :)!! )

Will be trying the tyre idea to try and keep the front of my harrow down - very hard-warring.

Baz

suziequeue

• Joined Feb 2010
  • Llanidloes; Powys
« Reply #7 on: April 11, 2011, 06:22:35 pm »
Interested to hear how the chain harrow project has worked out big chicken?
We do the best we can with the information we have

When we know better we do better

bigchicken

• Joined Nov 2008
  • Fife Scotland
« Reply #8 on: April 12, 2011, 10:53:35 pm »
Still gathering materials will keep you posted.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS