Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Automatic vaccinator - recommendations please  (Read 9087 times)

Tina Turkey

• Joined Oct 2007
Automatic vaccinator - recommendations please
« on: March 20, 2011, 01:18:45 pm »
Hi folks, just pondering whether its worth getting an automatic vaccinator for my little troup.  It is not necessary as I only have 15 max at any one time and we dont inject them very often BUT to be totally honest find injecting them really stressful ... there, Ive said it!  I get myself in such a tizz before I do it - I am so scared I am going to do it wrong and cause damage ... so, I would feel so much more in control if I could use a gun type that I just fire and bam its done.

Is there such a thing for sheep that doesnt cost the earth?  Can anyone recommend one for under £50 ish?

Many thanks
TT ::)

robert waddell

Re: Automatic vaccinator - recommendations please
« Reply #1 on: March 20, 2011, 03:45:11 pm »
attached is photos of the   eco matic multi shot injector the cost is around £11  although (Lillian says we got it free)
once the bottle is attached it is sealed no contamination and is very easy to use
made in germany  intervet on the instructions

Freddiesfarm

• Joined Jan 2010
« Reply #2 on: March 20, 2011, 05:24:18 pm »
I love my auto vaccinator gun and they last for ages.  All you need to do is replace the needle every so often. I can vaacinate at a rate of 130 sheep per hour with this, rather than 10 per hour with the old fashioned way - which is good really since I have gone from 10 sheep to 500!

Tina Turkey

• Joined Oct 2007
« Reply #3 on: March 21, 2011, 06:53:49 am »
Thanks everyone.

Freddiesfarm , what make/model is yours?
TT

Freddiesfarm

• Joined Jan 2010
« Reply #4 on: March 21, 2011, 08:30:39 am »
I've got an intervet one like the one shown above and also a bovillis btv8 gun (which I think is made by intervet too but it is purple and funky!)

Get the one like in the picture where the bottle mounts directly on the gun and not the one with the long tube and then the bottle as you need all hands free really.

bazzais

• Joined Jan 2010
    • Allt Y Coed Farm and Campsite
« Reply #5 on: March 21, 2011, 03:50:13 pm »
Yeah I've got one with the tube fitting and you have to cut a hole in your shirt pocket and thread the tube through - all fine until you want to use the pocket as a pocket again.

TA

Baz

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
  • Rarely short of an opinion but I mean well
    • Trelay Cohousing Community
« Reply #6 on: March 21, 2011, 11:49:30 pm »
Get the one like in the picture where the bottle mounts directly on the gun and not the one with the long tube and then the bottle as you need all hands free really.
Just make sure you hold the thing upright as you release the trigger, otherwise it may not suck up a full dose.  I have to say I prefer the long tube and bottle round my neck for this reason - although you do have to be careful with tubes around horned sheep!

TT, I just wonder whether you are thinking that the autovaccinator guns somehow automatically deliver the shot subcutaneously.  They don't, you still have to place the needle correctly under the sheep's skin and hold it steady while you deliver the dose.  The automatic part is the sucking up of the next dose so the needle is ready for the next sheep.
Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

bigchicken

• Joined Nov 2008
  • Fife Scotland
« Reply #7 on: March 21, 2011, 11:56:42 pm »
Im Dunfermline way where can I get one of these eco matic guns
Shetland sheep, Castlemilk Moorits sheep, Hebridean sheep, Scots Grey Bantams, Scots Dumpy Bantams. Shetland Ducks.

bazzais

• Joined Jan 2010
    • Allt Y Coed Farm and Campsite
« Reply #8 on: March 22, 2011, 12:25:42 am »
I agree with SallyintNorth - its not like the matrix where you press it on the neck and press go, all jabs need an aim still and technique.

The last vaccinator I bought had a thingy that automatically sterilised the needle but the main problem I had was that I couldnt see where the needle was going.

Baz

robert waddell

« Reply #9 on: March 22, 2011, 05:19:21 pm »
big chicken  we got ours from mackie and brechin at kirkliston it is primarily intended for BVD vacination :wave: :wave:

Fleecewife

• Joined May 2010
  • South Lanarkshire
    • ScotHebs
« Reply #10 on: March 22, 2011, 06:55:34 pm »
Hi TT what you really need is to learn how to do injections safely and accurately.  That way, you will be doing it properly and in the right place whatever device you use. I use a syringe and needle by choice and change the needle for every shot (most will disagree with that but I am a nurse and old habits die hard  :D)
"Let's not talk about what we can do, but do what we can"

There is NO planet B - what are YOU doing to save our home?

Do something today that your future self will thank you for - plant a tree

Love your soil - it's the lifeblood of your land.

bigchicken

• Joined Nov 2008
  • Fife Scotland
« Reply #11 on: March 22, 2011, 08:03:27 pm »
Thanks Lillian I take it that I could use it on most vaccines, ie heptivac, footvac etc
Shetland sheep, Castlemilk Moorits sheep, Hebridean sheep, Scots Grey Bantams, Scots Dumpy Bantams. Shetland Ducks.

robert waddell

« Reply #12 on: March 22, 2011, 08:22:42 pm »
any vacine that is in a bottle (that fits)

robert waddell

« Reply #13 on: March 22, 2011, 08:27:44 pm »
fleecewife was it you that gave me an injection nearly 40 years ago (the nurse asked me where would you like it  i said on yours it was bloody sore) ;D :D :o :wave: :wave:

Fleecewife

• Joined May 2010
  • South Lanarkshire
    • ScotHebs
« Reply #14 on: March 23, 2011, 12:16:05 am »
Can't have been me then  ;D  :D  ;D
"Let's not talk about what we can do, but do what we can"

There is NO planet B - what are YOU doing to save our home?

Do something today that your future self will thank you for - plant a tree

Love your soil - it's the lifeblood of your land.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS