Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: feeding lambs  (Read 2916 times)

jayne

• Joined Mar 2011
feeding lambs
« on: March 20, 2011, 12:37:36 pm »
Does anyone out there know if it's possible to feed lambs cows milk?

morri2

• Joined Jun 2008
Re: feeding lambs
« Reply #1 on: March 20, 2011, 06:07:36 pm »
Yes, but only if desperate - its better to get some Lamlac or other ewe milk replacement from the farm supplies or the vets. :wave:

shep53

• Joined Jan 2011
  • Dumfries & Galloway
« Reply #2 on: March 20, 2011, 07:09:25 pm »
Yes you can but powdered lamb milk is better for them. My next door neighbour who is organic reared 14 lambs last year on jersey milk lambs did really well. Before powdered lambs milk came on the market 1970s i think, all lambs had cows milk or powdered calf milk we used to feed new borns cows milk heated with a poker and an eggput in. I once saw 4 lambs suckling on a jersey cow.

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
  • Rarely short of an opinion but I mean well
    • Trelay Cohousing Community
« Reply #3 on: March 21, 2011, 11:59:32 am »
Well I had always heard that cows milk would not do the job but then a friend who had Jerseys on his dairy farm kept a couple of favourite girls on when he sold up and uses the milk for the house and the pet lambs.  He says he's always reared his pet lambs on Jersey milk, never given them anything else (milk-wise) and they've always done fine.

So this year I am seeing what my Jersey's milk does for my pet lambs.  6 in the pet box at the mo, all going great guns so far.  I am having to get some powdered lamb milk though, so that I can get any that will be sold to new homes used to what they'll be getting there.  (If I don't sell any I'll need to wean both Hillie's calves, so it's better if I can find new homes for these to make room for those to come - we're only lambing the first 80 of our total 276 so far!)

Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS