Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Best breed for wool-your thoughts please  (Read 6398 times)

Lizt

• Joined Jan 2008
Best breed for wool-your thoughts please
« on: January 09, 2009, 12:38:30 pm »
Hello
What do you find is the best sheep for wool - for hand spinning etc
I want to develop a very small flock that will provide me with good quality wool and a freezer full of tasty meat - what have you experienced people found.
Liz :sheep:

woollyval

• Joined Feb 2008
  • Near Bodmin, Cornwall
    • Val Grainger
    • Facebook
Re: Best breed for wool-your thoughts please
« Reply #1 on: January 09, 2009, 01:38:41 pm »
Now that IS a question as it really depends on your time, fencing, ambitions etc.............you will get a million good answers!!!!

I am assuming you are a hand spinner if this is the case you cannot beat a good Shetland for wool quality as it spins, felts, comes in a variety of colours and also makes fantastic rugs from the lambskins which are the byproduct of its delicious meat.....
However be warned....most Shetland sheep.....not all are very flighty and can be exeedingly difficult to manage without VERY good fencing!

Down type breeds have 'bouncy' wool which is very nice, medium soft with superwash qualities!!!..........they were originally used in the hoseiry, jumper and sock industries......stuff that needed a lot of washing!!!
Thier wool is difficult to felt.

Long wools ......softish....Wensleydale, no kemp hair, worsted spinning, can be difficult to hand spin as requires combing not carding, Same for Gotlands and a few others...........very valuable lambskins!!!!

Carpet sheep.........eg Herdwick and Greyface Dartmoor....make lovely carpets, taste nice, wool like knitting fuse wire or brillo pads!!! :o............use for carpets only (or have several layers underneath)

My business is wool.............so always ask!

www.valgrainger.co.uk

Overall winner of the Devon Environmental Business Awards 2009

kanisha

• Joined Dec 2007
    • Spered Breizh Ouessants
    • Facebook
« Reply #2 on: January 09, 2009, 02:46:27 pm »
Some hand spiiners like to keep a hand selected flock of different breeds or indeed mixes of sheep one sheep even if not pure bred may have just the right qualities to a hand spinner another may offer a really nice colour .........why stick to just one breed?
Ravelry Group: - Ouessants & Company

woollyval

• Joined Feb 2008
  • Near Bodmin, Cornwall
    • Val Grainger
    • Facebook
« Reply #3 on: January 09, 2009, 04:23:39 pm »
Some hand spiiners like to keep a hand selected flock of different breeds or indeed mixes of sheep one sheep even if not pure bred may have just the right qualities to a hand spinner another may offer a really nice colour .........why stick to just one breed?

You are sooo right! I keep Ouessants, coloured Wensleydales (well they look like that but could have a bit of something else in there ;D), Wensleydale crosses (with suffolk or Dorset Down) and Gotlands............and process loads of Dorset Down and other breeds too :D :D :D
www.valgrainger.co.uk

Rosemary

• Joined Oct 2007
  • Barry, Angus, Scotland
    • The Accidental Smallholder
« Reply #4 on: January 09, 2009, 07:31:25 pm »
Is it true that unbred sheep are better wool producers than those that are breeding (either tups or ewes)?

woollyval

• Joined Feb 2008
  • Near Bodmin, Cornwall
    • Val Grainger
    • Facebook
« Reply #5 on: January 09, 2009, 11:45:40 pm »
Yes!!!
www.valgrainger.co.uk

Lizt

• Joined Jan 2008
« Reply #6 on: January 12, 2009, 08:15:53 am »
Thankyou all - what a good idea. Not sure how I'd organise rams for a variety of different breed ewes though!
I used to enjoy knitting with Lopi yarn from Icelandic sheep - what fleece could I reasonably spin to give me something along those lines - bear in mind I'm in Brittany. Also I have seen various things to help with spinning thicker yarn but wondered what you have found best.
Many thanks
Liz :sheep:

kanisha

• Joined Dec 2007
    • Spered Breizh Ouessants
    • Facebook
« Reply #7 on: January 12, 2009, 11:35:19 am »
Hi Liz I have the very thing to start you off; Hes a wether so you won't need to worry about breeding and wethers are reputed to have the best  fleeces for spinning. hes a very rare grey ouessant so only very small  hes a modified grey not due to age greying which means that even though hes less than a year old hes alreally got a grey fleece;

pic taken of his fleece at around six months of age the light almost rust tips will fade to leave a light cream tips on a grey fleece;

I intend to shear him this spring and then he will be ready for pastures new. I had always intended he would go to a spinners flock so if you are interested then just let me know.
Ravelry Group: - Ouessants & Company

woollyval

• Joined Feb 2008
  • Near Bodmin, Cornwall
    • Val Grainger
    • Facebook
« Reply #8 on: January 12, 2009, 03:43:59 pm »
OHH I'd have that one of Kanishas Liz....I have seen him in the flesh.....very pretty!

The only wool that would spin up near to icelandic other than icelandic would be Gotland I think!.....having gone over to my pile and considered the 2....yes I'm a wool nerd and have fleece of both....I think that would be nearest!!!
www.valgrainger.co.uk

Lizt

• Joined Jan 2008
« Reply #9 on: January 13, 2009, 08:58:09 am »
Thankyou - have pm'd you Kanisha.
Gotland fleeces! blimey!
Thanks ladies
Liz

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS