Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Toxoplasmosis  (Read 5869 times)

waterhouse

Toxoplasmosis
« on: March 18, 2011, 09:42:01 pm »
Poor Lily got into trouble two weeks before her due date and went into labour but wasn't ready.  The vet found a very dead lamb in there plus a tiny one that didn't survive being born.  We sent the bits off to the RVC who confirmed Toxoplasmosis, an infection caused by a parasite found in cat faeces.

Lily is fine but it's a real shame.  

Freddiesfarm

• Joined Jan 2010
Re: Toxoplasmosis
« Reply #1 on: March 19, 2011, 08:47:32 am »
Can also be caught from foxes and their faeces and urine. 

I get a problem with it every year but once the ewes have had it they are immune for the rest of their lives.  There is a vaccination you can buy however the government witheld it this year for some reason!

It cannot be passed from one ewe to the next like some other abortion types.

Very sad though.

Rosemary

• Joined Oct 2007
  • Barry, Angus, Scotland
    • The Accidental Smallholder
« Reply #2 on: March 19, 2011, 09:27:17 am »
I suppose that's why it's important to get your vet to look at ewes that abort.

shep53

• Joined Jan 2011
  • Dumfries & Galloway
« Reply #3 on: March 19, 2011, 01:06:57 pm »
TOXO is more complicated than most abortions ,young cats tend to be the problem and humans can catch it from cat faeces or from infected material. IF the ewe catches it in the first couple of months she will abort unnoticed ,may return to the ram or be barren (high barren numbers are a sign of toxo ) if in the 3rd or 4th month foetus may die be aborted or come out at lambing mummified sometimes with a small live lamb ,as said that ewe and any live lambs are imune for life. The drug company had a problem in europe and supplies were difficult.There is a product MONENSIN that you can put in feed with a vet certificatethat helps.

princesspiggy

« Reply #4 on: March 19, 2011, 02:46:47 pm »
can humans catch toxo off sheep as well as cats? thats not the reason why pregnant women cant touch sheep though is it? is that not syphylis or something?  ???

robert waddell

« Reply #5 on: March 19, 2011, 03:34:26 pm »
princess you make me laugh   ;)   syphylis you get that from sex  :o

bazzais

• Joined Jan 2010
    • Allt Y Coed Farm and Campsite
« Reply #6 on: March 19, 2011, 07:16:05 pm »
Here is a link to the DEFRA site on the subject of pregnant women and the risks:-

http://ww2.defra.gov.uk/news/2011/02/14/advice-to-pregnant-women-during-the-lambing-season/

Sorry to hear your news waterhouse, at least Lily is OK.

Baz

Cinderhills

• Joined Jul 2010
  • North Yorkshire
« Reply #7 on: March 19, 2011, 07:21:29 pm »
Sorry to hear they were dead.  Our ewe aborted last year, about 4 weeks before they were due. Sent them off for analysing and nothing so the vet said due to the really bad weather she had lost weight and wan't good condition.  This year I have watched her like a hawk and so far she looks great and is due in about a week.

A vet in the US said to me that toxo is very hard to catch from cats, unless you pretty much eat their poo.  I would think the same for sheep. Personally, I think people over react but then I have never come across any person who has had it.  You just have to have very good hygiene and wash hands all the time.

VSS

• Joined Jan 2009
  • Pen Llyn
    • Viable Self Sufficiency.co.uk
« Reply #8 on: March 19, 2011, 07:47:39 pm »
There is a vaccination you can buy however the government witheld it this year for some reason!

Nothing to do with the government. There were some problems with the production processes - it is a live vaccine and therefore is a bot more tricky to produce. We were lucky and got ours with no difficulty.

If you have a problem with toxo, initially it is a good idea to vaccinate all your ewes. In subsequent years, you would only need to vaccinate your ewes that are going to the tup for the first time and any ewes that you buy in. Needs to be adminstered AT LEAST a month before you put the rams in.

An alternative, if vaccine is not availible, are medicated feedblocks can be used. Tithebarn produce these, but you need to get a prescription from the vet for them.
The SHEEP Book for Smallholders
Available from the Good Life Press

www.viableselfsufficiency.co.uk

princesspiggy

« Reply #9 on: March 19, 2011, 08:19:20 pm »
princess you make me laugh   ;)   syphylis you get that from sex  :o

no i sure my midwife once told me (or vet i cant remember) that ewes get a type of syphylis and u can only tell if they have it wen theyre lambing, but they can pass it on germs to pregnant women at anytime wen in-lamb, to the women and it can cause a stillborn to the human baby. ?? ???

princesspiggy

« Reply #10 on: March 19, 2011, 08:20:54 pm »
would a cat pooing on their hay be enough to give them toxo?

Freddiesfarm

• Joined Jan 2010
« Reply #11 on: March 19, 2011, 08:40:21 pm »
Yes  - that is considered to be the classic way of getting an infected sheep.  The other one is if cats use a feed store as a toilet - and then the food is either fed to the sheep or processed into compound food.

shep53

• Joined Jan 2011
  • Dumfries & Galloway
« Reply #12 on: March 19, 2011, 09:06:41 pm »
CINDERHILLS  unless you were pregnant you may have had toxo and never known people get it from eating under cooked meat ,slight temp and the runs are not uncommon and you would think nothing of it

waterhouse

« Reply #13 on: March 19, 2011, 09:40:53 pm »
Toxoplasmosis is transferable from sheep to humans, so is a risk for pregnant women.  So PrincessPiggy was listening...

Obviously the cat has to have the parasite for the bugs to get passed on to the sheep.  Its supposed to be the second most common cause of sheep abortion.

shetlandpaul

• Joined Oct 2008
« Reply #14 on: March 19, 2011, 10:08:43 pm »
just found this.
Spring and lambs are coming and the Scottish Chief Medical Officer has issued seasonal advice highlighting a potential risk for pregnant women at this time of year. Pregnant women who come into close contact with sheep during lambing may be risking their health and the health of their unborn children. This is because infections such as chlamydiosis (enzootic abortion of ewes), toxoplasmosis and listeriosis - all common causes of abortion in ewes - can be passed on to them.
Although these infections are uncommon, and the number of human pregnancies affected by contact with sheep is extremely small, it is important that pregnant women are aware of the potential risks and take appropriate precautions. If they do become ill - experience fever or influenza-like symptoms, and are concerned that they could have acquired infection from a farm environment, they should seek immediate medical advice. These risks are not only associated with sheep, nor confined only to the spring (when the majority of lambs are born). Cattle and goats that have recently given birth can also carry similar infections.
To avoid the possible risk of infection, pregnant women are advised that they should:
• not help to lamb or milk ewes
• avoid contact with aborted or new-born lambs or with the afterbirth, birthing fluids or materials (e.g. bedding) contaminated by such birth products
• avoid handling (including washing) clothing, boots or any materials that may have come into contact with ewes, lambs or afterbirth
• ensure partners attending lambing ewes take appropriate health and hygiene precautions, including the wearing of personal protective equipment and adequate washing to remove any potential contamination
Farmers have a responsibility to minimise the risks to pregnant women, including members of their family, the public and professional staff visiting farms.
Farmers should consult their veterinary surgeon about suitable vaccination programmes and any other disease control measures in sheep, cattle and goats.
Further information can be found on the Health Protection Scotland web site by following the link http://www.documents.hps.scot.nhs.uk and on the NFU web site www.nfuonline.com

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS