Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: New and in France  (Read 2908 times)

nearlythere

• Joined Mar 2011
New and in France
« on: March 17, 2011, 08:23:35 pm »
I thought I should introduce myself and say Hi before I start asking questions.
I moved to France 9 months ago with my hubby to live the good life. We have just over an acre of land and so far we have sorted our veg plot and greenhouse out. Built the hen house and pen area (the dog would chase them if they were totally free range).
As far as the animals we have a dog (rescued from charity) 2 kittens (again rescued and now 6 months old and been 'done') 1 cockeral, 6 laying hens (one has just gone broody this week and is sitting on eggs) 2 youngsters just about reaching POL.
and now we now want to take on a couple of weaners to bring on.

There was no way we could have achieved this lifestyle in the uk, so we moved here and we love it. We have good friends who are sheep farmers close by and we are often helping out with their animals and especially over the last few weeks whilst they were lambing.

We are not too well up on the pig keeping but are trying to get as much information as possible before we take the next step, so hopefully the pig keepers amongst you will have loads of advice. :wave:

Helencus

• Joined Feb 2010
  • NW Leicestershire
Re: New and in France
« Reply #1 on: March 17, 2011, 08:33:08 pm »
Welcome to TAS. You've come to the right place for loads of brilliant advice. Looking forward to hearing about life in France  ;D :pig: :chook:

robert waddell

« Reply #2 on: March 17, 2011, 09:10:58 pm »
hello from central scotland
i was nearlythere once myself but the sat nav directed me to the wrong address :wave: :wave:

HappyHippy

« Reply #3 on: March 17, 2011, 09:15:55 pm »
Hello from me too  :wave:
LOADS of good advice (and most commonly asked questions) to be found in the pig section, but if there's anything that's not covered - ask away  ;D
The main thing with pigs is FENCING, good strong fencing  ;) Somewhere for them to sleep and plenty for them to eat, a good sense of humour is also very handy at times too  ::) ;) ;D
Karen

Cinderhills

• Joined Jul 2010
  • North Yorkshire
« Reply #4 on: March 17, 2011, 10:16:34 pm »
Hi and welcome from North Yorkshire.  :wave:

faith0504

• Joined Aug 2010
  • Cairngorms
  • take it easy and chill
    • blaemuir cottage
« Reply #5 on: March 18, 2011, 12:08:00 am »
hi and welcome from moray  :wave:

Hilarysmum

• Joined Oct 2007
« Reply #6 on: March 18, 2011, 08:56:28 am »
Hi from France, the main thing is to be aware that the rules are different here, I know we are in the EU, but we are in France.  It really pays to check and check and check.  First port of call for pigs (or any other livestock except birds) is your local DDSV who will issue you with a holding number and herd number.  DO NOT buy any pigs without a movement licence, a copy of the herd's current aujeskie blood test (and brucillosis if you are in Brittany) and ear tags.  The authorities are in my experience extremely helpful.  Pigs are wonderful.  Enjoy.

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
  • Rarely short of an opinion but I mean well
    • Trelay Cohousing Community
« Reply #7 on: March 18, 2011, 09:12:27 am »
Hello from the North of England.   :wave:

Just got started with pigs myself, first one is in the freezer and her friend is due to get bred as soon as I get it all together (catching her on heat, finding and organising a romantic holiday for her... you get the idea!)

We farm sheep and cattle commercially but have the pig(s), some native ponies, a Jersey house cow, hens and (thanks to that dratted mink) no Muscovy ducks any more, all of which I think makes me entitled to be on a 'smallholder' forum!

I had to move North having found the South West of England way too expensive to do what I wanted; I couldn't find anyone to go to France with me or I might have been there ahead of you!

Welcome, looking forward to hearing about your pig [ad]venture.

Sally
Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS