Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Wee request  (Read 3347 times)

CameronS

• Joined Aug 2009
  • North East Fife
Wee request
« on: March 17, 2011, 08:02:56 pm »
Hi, just wondering if anyone in the fife will have any large fowl hatching eggs, for sale around about the end of school holiday times(some time in April me thinks).
I am doing a project with my local primary school, and am lending them my incubator to (try to) hatch some eggs,
 but i don't have any viable hatching eggs, (i have a pekin cockerel running with large hens, so do not want to cross them)

Any breeds, many thanks. Will be able to collect  

many thanks  ;D  :wave:

HappyHippy

Re: Wee request
« Reply #1 on: March 17, 2011, 09:10:15 pm »
24 hours too late Cameron  :(
I could have got you some at Lanark market today - there were millions ! (ok, maybe a slight eggsageration  ;) but there were LOTS)
Hope you manage to get some sorted.
Karen x

northfifeduckling

• Joined Jan 2009
  • Fife
    • North Fife Blog
« Reply #2 on: March 17, 2011, 09:30:28 pm »
Cameron, I will have mixed breed duck eggs - usually very fertile, watching them in action  ::) What happens to the birds once they are born?  :&>

CameronS

• Joined Aug 2009
  • North East Fife
« Reply #3 on: March 17, 2011, 10:40:45 pm »
What happens to the birds once they are born?
   simple answer ME  ;D (though they or some Will have to make the short trip to the school every other weeks o so to show the growth)

I have had the itch to start hatching for ages now, but no hens are going broody, and dad refuses to run the incubator this year after last years expenses  ::)

so the school foot the bill and have a brilliant science project, i have a excellent thing on my CV, and i get some nice new chicks at the end  ;D  ::)

lachlanandmarcus

• Joined Aug 2010
  • Aberdeenshire
« Reply #4 on: March 18, 2011, 10:18:01 am »
Theres a poultry sale at Thainstone (Inverurie, Aberdeenshire) on Saturday (tomorrow)
catalogue here
http://www.goanm.co.uk/anmarts/livestockauctions/salesinfo/index.html#190311
(scroll down to the Saturday), theres a pdf file of the catalogue
edited to add they do have hatching eggs in there. can recommend entries from Greenlaw, Tarland, they are very lovely neighbours of mine and birds are very well cared for.

northfifeduckling

• Joined Jan 2009
  • Fife
    • North Fife Blog
« Reply #5 on: March 18, 2011, 10:24:11 am »
Cameron - would you be interested in duck eggs for this project?  :&>

Rosemary

• Joined Oct 2007
  • Barry, Angus, Scotland
    • The Accidental Smallholder
« Reply #6 on: March 18, 2011, 12:42:38 pm »
What a great project - the kids will love it and get lots out of it. Good on the school for taking it on - most are way to scared of something going wrong and being prosecuted or sued to do this kind of stuff.

geebee

• Joined Aug 2010
  • N,E.Fife
« Reply #7 on: March 18, 2011, 01:54:49 pm »
Hi Cameron
I should be able to let you have some.  I am planning on reorganising the chooks this weekend to put 2 LS hens in with 'your' cockerel & hope to hatch some chicks, but the rest of the motley crew will be running with him too (2 Black Rocks & 3 'Brown Hens'  ) although I'm going to pick one out to go in with my Wyandotte bantam cockerel as I haven't managed to get him any Wyandotte girls. Just let me know at what stage you need them.

Hatty

• Joined Feb 2011
« Reply #8 on: March 18, 2011, 06:54:53 pm »
Hi

I'm far too far away BUT I occasionally teach Adults with learning difficulties I don't know if you have seen it but I found the teaching resources on Omlets web site a big help

http://www.omlet.co.uk/products_services/products_services.php?cat=Schools&subcat=Resources

Got to be worth a look!! :wave:

How long did you say it would take me to dig this 5 acres with my spade?

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS