Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Land rental values  (Read 13418 times)

Rosemary

• Joined Oct 2007
  • Barry, Angus, Scotland
    • The Accidental Smallholder
Land rental values
« on: January 04, 2008, 09:37:16 pm »
We've tried to buy about 3 acres across the track from us, from the local Council. We've been knocked back - it's not surplus to requirements, so I've contacted them again to ask if we could lease it from them. Does anyone have any idea what woudl be a resonable rent? It's not great land; it's quite wet and floods in places but woudl be OK in the summer to allow us to rest our own field.

I suspect we'll get nowhere - there's a big long tale behind this, which I wouldn't put on here at the moment - but let's say the Council moves in very mysterious ways! I shall save it for my memoirs.

rustyme

Re: Land rental values
« Reply #1 on: January 06, 2008, 12:41:37 am »
Hello Rosemary,
                    round here ( west wales) land goes for about 1 pound an acre per week, but that isn't a fixed ammount . It can depend on many things ( how many people wanting to rent it being just one !!) access ,type , fencing and so on . Although it is very cheap really to rent , hardly any comes available . To keep a horse on land costs a fiver per week . Hope that helps in some way ...? not sure how though really ....lol.

cheers

Russ

juliag

• Joined Nov 2008
  • Wanstrow somerset
« Reply #2 on: June 15, 2009, 02:43:54 pm »
Hi Rosemary, here in somerset I pay £60 a month to rent 3 acres for our ponies, but that would be the price whatever we wanted to do with it. There is another paddock rented in the village of about 1 1/2 acres which they charge £20 a week for and has a pony on it. Another paddock I turned down in the village was 2 1/2 acres for £75 a month. This seems to be about the going rate around here, after hearing how cheaply you can get land in wales for ( £1 a week per acre ) maybe we should all move to wales!!!
juliag

Roxy

• Joined May 2009
  • Peak District
    • festivalcarriages.co.uk
« Reply #3 on: June 16, 2009, 01:28:57 pm »
Our Council own quite a few little paddocks up and down the area.  I have noticed them in the local paper up for tender for summer grazing or mowing.  But for the past couple of years they have not been used at all, which I assume means people either are not applying, or not offering enough money!!

I have a friend in a different area, who rents three acres from the council.  Its quite hilly land.  She only pays £100 per year for the lot, and has done for years.  She does all the maintenence work on fences etc. though.  She reckons she has a bargain, and I think so too.

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • ABERDON GUNDOGS for work and show
    • Facebook
« Reply #4 on: June 16, 2009, 08:36:42 pm »
When we were in Aberdeenshire we got £85 per acre for the season's grazing - i.e. from early May to end November.  It was empty the rest of the year and they couldn't use it in theory although on occasion the season was extended by mutual arrangement.
Always have been, always will be, a WYSIWYG - black is black, white is white - no grey in my life! But I'm mellowing in my old age

CarraghsBorderCollies

• Joined Jun 2009
« Reply #5 on: June 18, 2009, 04:38:37 pm »
here in the west of ireland you generally pay from 70euro per acre per year for the worst/boggiest and unfenced land up to 150euro per acre per year for well fenced well kept prime meadowland although it is hard to get anything above middle of the range!
GEM. X

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS