Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Poorly pig  (Read 4115 times)

wellies

• Joined Jul 2010
  • Shrewsbury
    • Fairfax Ryeland Flock
    • Facebook
Poorly pig
« on: March 16, 2011, 05:42:28 pm »
The pigs escaped yesterday and one has been poorly since we recaught him. He is refusing to eat, only taking small sips of water and generally looks in pain. The vet came today and took his temperature which was fine but said he thought he had tummy ache. The vet also gave him metacam for pain and inflammation and suggested giving him some sloppy tasty food to try and get him to eat. The problem is he wont eat! I was just wondering if anyone had any advice or thoughts. His stable buddy is fine and seems non the worse for the expedition  ???

pikilily

• Joined Jan 2009
  • Do what you enjoy; And enjoy what you do!!
Re: Poorly pig
« Reply #1 on: March 16, 2011, 06:26:19 pm »
hiya, firstly i am not an expert on pigs!

i would take a wander around where the pigs were when they escaped. Look for evidence of them eating things. you may spot something which could give you clues! I would be looking for poisenous plants (although animals are pretty good at avoiding poisens).... also has the pig ahd access to feeds that he could have gorged on...?  then is there evidence that he may have chewed on or eated something inedible/indigestible eg plastic, rubber..
HTH to start with
Emma T
If you don't have a dream; how you gonna have a dream come true?

wellies

• Joined Jul 2010
  • Shrewsbury
    • Fairfax Ryeland Flock
    • Facebook
« Reply #2 on: March 16, 2011, 06:46:05 pm »
thank you for replying. There are no poisonous plants or evidence of chewing things which should not be chewed, at the mo it's a mystery and very worrying. Poor pig looks thoroughly miserable

Fowgill Farm

• Joined Feb 2009
« Reply #3 on: March 16, 2011, 07:10:49 pm »
I would say its probably a terrible case of indigestion from over indulging in which case it will soon pass, worst case scenario is that he's twisted something internally or eaten a boat load of stones. Does he flinch if you touch his belly, have you felt in his mouth to see if theres any probs there. Close monitoting needed and try and get some liquid into him, try milk if he won't have water.
HTH
MAndy :pig:

Tudful Tamworths

• Joined Aug 2009
    • Liz's website
« Reply #4 on: March 16, 2011, 10:19:00 pm »
My guess was the same as Mandy's - he may have gorged himself so much that he's just completely pogged. That kind of Christmas evening feeling. There is the possibility that he's eaten something stupid like some rubbish (plastic bag or something), but more likely he's just stuffed himself silly. Just keep an eye on him and see how he is tomorrow.

Presumably the vet checked his temperature? If not, do this yourself and see if it's normal. Check his faeces if you can. That might give you a clue if he's eaten something he shouldn't. Unless he's seriously underweight, don't be too concerned about him missing meals.

Good luck and keep posting on his progress. Be interesting to see how things go.
www.lizshankland.com www.biggingerpigs.com
Author of the Haynes Pig Manual, Haynes Smallholding Manual, and the Haynes Sheep Manual. Three times winner of the Tamworth Champion of Champions. Teaching smallholding courses at Kate Humble's farm: www.humblebynature.com

Leri

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Trefriw, near Llanrwst, Conwy
« Reply #5 on: March 17, 2011, 01:20:20 pm »
Difficult though isn't it - as on another thread we have people saying that their pig died after missing one meal!  :o
I don't have any ideas what it might be with yours either. Sorry x
Let us know how he gets on and if you find out what it was x

wellies

• Joined Jul 2010
  • Shrewsbury
    • Fairfax Ryeland Flock
    • Facebook
« Reply #6 on: March 17, 2011, 02:29:45 pm »
Thank you for all your support guys. Unfortunately Ron died this morning we think due to a torsion or complete blockage  :'( He has left behind his stable buddy and brother who is looking a little bewildered at the moment. I have never kept a Kune Kune on their own before and am not sure what to do. Do I need to get him another stable buddy? Its so sad this is the first time Harry has ever been on his own and he keeps looking for reassurance from me so at the mo I am trying to be brave and not cry too much  ???

HappyHippy

« Reply #7 on: March 17, 2011, 03:22:42 pm »
I'm so sorry to hear about your little pig  :(
But to answer your question - YES ! Get him another wee friend asap. Kune Kune's especially are incredibly socialable little pigs and will get very bored, lonely and depressed on their own, not to mention cold at this time of year. Another pig to snuggle up with in the straw keeps them toasty.
HTH
Karen x

Cinderhills

• Joined Jul 2010
  • North Yorkshire
« Reply #8 on: March 17, 2011, 03:28:24 pm »
Poor thing.  I'm sorry.  :(

Leri

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Trefriw, near Llanrwst, Conwy
« Reply #9 on: March 18, 2011, 10:03:22 am »
Oh no! Poor thing and poor you. I would be gutted to lose any of mine like that. You must be too.
I hope he won't fight with a new one? I find my sows do, but then settle down, but when I put in a little friend for my big boar they were fine. Maybe boys are mellower?
He does sound like he needs some company. Think you probably need a new on too x

Hilarysmum

• Joined Oct 2007
« Reply #10 on: March 18, 2011, 10:05:14 am »
I am sorry, its very hard to lose a pig.  I agree get a companion asap.

Fowgill Farm

• Joined Feb 2009
« Reply #11 on: March 18, 2011, 10:41:57 am »
Oh i'm so sorry to hear your news, sadly these things happen and theres nothing you can do about it which makes it worse. Defo get him a new pal, if he's castrated you could get him a girlfriend :love: ;)
Best Mandy  :pig:

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS