Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: had some shocking news today  (Read 35475 times)

Rosemary

• Joined Oct 2007
  • Barry, Angus, Scotland
    • The Accidental Smallholder
Re: had some shocking news today
« Reply #30 on: March 16, 2011, 07:57:18 pm »
I can't add anything to what's already been said except to say that we're thinking of you and your family and hoping that next week's news is positive :bouquet:

little blue

• Joined Jun 2009
  • Derbyshire
« Reply #31 on: March 16, 2011, 08:41:49 pm »
Faith, what a terrible shock.
thoughts are with you & your partner, and his son as you get through this. be strong, but look after yourself too
:x
Little Blue

Tudful Tamworths

• Joined Aug 2009
    • Liz's website
« Reply #32 on: March 16, 2011, 10:12:00 pm »
Faith, I was so sorry to hear your news. It's one of the toughest things anyone has to deal with. My late husband had cancer of the oesophagus which started off as a kind of discomfort after eating. The doctor treated it as indigestion for the first couple of months. Glad yours seems to be more on the ball.
You've got a huge amount to deal with, but please do remember to look after yourself. You'll be expected to be strong and resilient for lots of people (when Tony was diagnosed, I was 29 and had a two-year-old son to think about, along with Tony's children from a previous marriage, plus his elderly mother and others - and I was working 14 hours a day in a pretty tough job).

It's easy to try and be Superwoman and forget about your own shock and grief and the fact that YOU need comforting too. You can suddenly find yourself completely exhausted, forgetting to eat etc.

I hope you have someone close you can confide in and ask for help with everyday things whilst the op, hospital visits and stuff are going on. Don't be afraid to shout for help. Sometimes you have to. I didn't and I eventually fell apart for a while (but then fortunately pulled myself together again and became a much stronger person).

You've certainly got a lot of people you can talk to on here, and I hope that will provide some support. If I can be of any help at all, please feel free to message me.

Thinking of you
Liz x
www.lizshankland.com www.biggingerpigs.com
Author of the Haynes Pig Manual, Haynes Smallholding Manual, and the Haynes Sheep Manual. Three times winner of the Tamworth Champion of Champions. Teaching smallholding courses at Kate Humble's farm: www.humblebynature.com

Blinkers

• Joined Jan 2008
  • Carmarthenshire
  • Carmarthenshire/Pembrokeshire border
    • Glyn Elwyn - Faithmead Herd
    • Facebook
« Reply #33 on: March 16, 2011, 10:20:21 pm »
Thinking of you and OH - take care of each other - stay positive.
Love and huge hugs to you both xxx
Did you ever stop to think, and forget to start again !!
www.glynelwyn.co.uk

Roxy

• Joined May 2009
  • Peak District
    • festivalcarriages.co.uk
« Reply #34 on: March 16, 2011, 10:22:02 pm »
So sorry you are having to go through this ....sending lots of good vibes to your OH.

I am sure the hospital will put you in touch with someone who can give you support, and help to deal with this.

faith0504

• Joined Aug 2010
  • Cairngorms
  • take it easy and chill
    • blaemuir cottage
« Reply #35 on: March 16, 2011, 10:59:07 pm »
YOU GUYS ARE ALL AMAZING,

It means so much thank you all, we have had a hard but productive evening chatting about things, and its been decided that we are going to enjoy the next 4 days together, have some fun and a laugh, and then let battle commence on monday.

We are also going to bring our wedding forward, im going to see the registar about a quick wedding permit tomorrow, our wedding has had 2 dates up to now!!!!! the first was 16th may 2011, then with oh going to work away it was put off until 16th may 2012, we are now hoping for the 4th april, and just in case we have to get married in the hospital the dress code is tartan pyjamas, even if we get to marry at home. oh and tartan slippers  ;) ;)

This journey is probably the worst big dipper ride i have ever been on, but one day at a time, i think is the way to cope.

once again thanks for the support and lovely poems, reckon im going to read them all over and over again over the next week or so.

:bouquet: :bouquet: :bouquet: :bouquet: :bouquet: :bouquet: :bouquet: :bouquet: :bouquet: :bouquet: TO YOU ALL 

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • ABERDON GUNDOGS for work and show
    • Facebook
« Reply #36 on: March 16, 2011, 11:04:17 pm »
Just you confirm which date you decide on and on that day we will ALL wear something tartan - it may not be pyjamas but it will be tartan - wherever we are! :bouquet:
Always have been, always will be, a WYSIWYG - black is black, white is white - no grey in my life! But I'm mellowing in my old age

faith0504

• Joined Aug 2010
  • Cairngorms
  • take it easy and chill
    • blaemuir cottage
« Reply #37 on: March 16, 2011, 11:14:15 pm »
hi doganjo, i will let you know when i have seen the registar tomorrow, apparently if i get the paperwork done tomorrow we can get married 15 days after, which is the 1st of april so the 4th should be ok, its my birthday as well so everything crossed  :bouquet:

benkt

• Joined Apr 2010
  • Cambridgeshire
    • Hempsals Community Farm
« Reply #38 on: March 17, 2011, 12:24:42 am »
The wedding plans sound wonderful - carpe diem!

ser3dan

• Joined Jul 2010
« Reply #39 on: March 17, 2011, 07:16:26 am »
Faith,
I'm so very sorry you've had such bad news and can only echo what has already been said - stay positive, and keep going. We're here for you to talk to and vent off at as and when you need it. Hopefully, because it's been diagnosed so quickly and the hospital and GP are moving quickly it'll be nipped in the bud.

Dan.

Sylvia

• Joined Aug 2009
« Reply #40 on: March 17, 2011, 07:22:14 am »
I will hold you all in my prayers, stay positive, as you can see you are surrounded by love :bouquet:

Tilly

• Joined Jan 2011
  • "Possibilities and miracles mean the same thing"
« Reply #41 on: March 17, 2011, 08:19:37 am »

Hi Faith
 --thinking of you
 :bouquet:

sending love and light your way ------

Tilly

BlueDaisy

• Joined Aug 2010
  • Grow your own - veg and chooks!
« Reply #42 on: March 17, 2011, 08:29:21 am »
sending good vibes and positive thoughts your way :bouquet:

Hilarysmum

• Joined Oct 2007
« Reply #43 on: March 17, 2011, 09:08:47 am »
Got the tartan ribbons already ...... make it a perfect day ......  HM

ellied

• Joined Sep 2010
  • Fife
    • Facebook
« Reply #44 on: March 17, 2011, 09:20:40 am »
Just seen this - what a shock to you both but I'm glad you are bringing forward the wedding and enjoying your few days before the battle commences.  I'll gladly wear tartan of some kind on 4 April and send you healing thoughts - I'm teaching a group in the evening so probably not pyjamas but you never know ;)

My mum had kidney cancer and I know what a fright the C word brings and how easy it is to lose yourself in the battle and the support for everyone else - do make time for yourself and like everyone on here I'm glad to be any use/support I can be.

I guess what I'd also advise is to remember why you got together and why you came to Scotland to set up your dream life together, don't lose sight of the dream and focus only on the nightmare, continue to create a future no matter what.. if you stop looking at the light at the end of the tunnel, you can get lost in the darkness but keep walking with your focus ahead to where the sun shines and you will get there with support from all kinds of unexpected places.
Barleyfields Smallholding & Kirkcarrion Highland Ponies
https://www.facebook.com/kirkcarrionhighlands/
Ellie Douglas Therapist
https://www.facebook.com/Ellie-Douglas-Therapist-124792904635278/

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS